U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 AM

4 posts, read 18,319 times

Advertisements

I am entering the house-hunting phase of moving to either Lutz or Odessa. The sub-divisions in contention are: Cheval, Heritage Harbor, Villa Rosa, Ivy Lake Estates, and Greyhawk. I'd like to hear the good and the bad on these, please. It looks like the schools are good and shopping is nearby. I don't care much about restaurants and nightlife.

I'll be working in downtown Tampa and will be on the road by 6:30 am and returning about 4:00 pm. What sort of congestion should I expect?

Does anyone know what are the short- and intermediate-term plans for SR54 in Odessa?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,121,801 times
Not sure what you mean by: "Does anyone know what are the short- and intermediate-term plans for SR54 in Odessa?" Maybe you can elaborate......?

Cheval is very nice, you'll like it, but watch out for property taxes and CDDs in all the communities you've mentioned.....Taxes in Cheval West are around $8000 a year thanks to the CDD, Cheval East is probably 3 times that since the homes are twice the size or larger....... Villa Rosa and Heritage Harbor had a LOT of foreclosures and was a bit deserted at one point and the cops had that blinking sign in front of Heritage Harbor several times telling everyone to lock up their belongings!!!!!!!!! judge for yourself, I am guessing because there were so many empty homes thief's had a blast stealing stuff there!!!!!!!!

I think that you won't have much problems commuting on Veterans at those times...it is after 7 and after 5 that things go nuts!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
MT8

60 posts, read 170,530 times
Heritage Harbor has huge CDDs, which is why you can get a lot of home for your money.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Algia, I am wondering about plans to build additional shopping centers, sub-divisions, office parks, etc.

Please keep your opinions and views coming!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,121,801 times
Hey there, You're welcome...I am sure they will continue to build up there...right now tho there are places that are not finished yet...such as a new planned sub division across the street from 7/11 off Livingston..only the road and street lights are on there...not sure what's up with that....but there are also a lot of farms also on 54 going towards Suncoast Pkwy so unless those guys sell...I don't see that they'll build anything any time soon....but even if they do, it won't matter much because the residential areas are far behind all of that generally so, you will still have peace and quiet. I am not a fan of anything around 54, too busy with crazy drivers and such...I like Lutz on the Hillsborough side....33558, 33548...

Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,582,972 times
The newest communities on your list are going to be Greyhawk and Ivy Lake Estates (lovely lakes, but no motorcraft). Both are gated, not guarded and easy to get in. Ivy Lakes is the furthest away from downtown Tampa, but has the easiest access to the Suncoast Parkway (it becomes the Veteran's Expressway in Hillsborough County). Ivy Lake has no CDD and low HOA. Greyhawk still has lots. Both are located in rural areas of Pasco County which has lower taxes comparatively speaking.

Heritage Harbor has lots of amenities. The golf course is public and the gate is not manned. There's a great community pool with a slide that the kids love and the clubhouse has fitness, library, restaurant, etc. The community uses the CDD and HOA fees to support the amenities. There are a fair number of rentals in the neighborhood though and it's been hit hard with foreclosures and short sales. The majority of the homes were built by US Homes, now Lennar.

Cheval is separated into East and West with separate HOAs & CDDs. The community is gated and guarded. There are lots of well-done amenities (golf, pro shop, tennis, pool, athletic club, restaurant, lounge) but Cheval Golf & Country Club are private, so these come with extra fees. The clubhouse is undergoing renovations and should re-open later this year. There is no resident requirement to join. Of your chosen communities, Cheval is the closest to downtown. Though building began in the late 80s, there are a few lots left for new construction in the West Village.

Villarosa is a smaller neighborhood with fewer amenities. Parts are gated with remote key entry. Some of these homes were built by really good builders, others not so much. The common areas are nicely landscaped. There's no CDD and the HOA is reasonable. Some of the lots are narrow. There's also a stop light at Boulevard of the Roses so getting in/out is relatively easy.

Heritage Harbor, Cheval East, and Villarosa are within a mile of each other along Lutz Lake Fern Road. McKitrick Elementary, Martinez Middle, and the new Steinbrenner High Schools are also on Lutz Lake Fern. A new on-ramp to the Veteran's Expressway recently opened which is helping the gridlock some, but traffic during school hours is painfully slow. I helped several families move into this area just for the schools.

There was some controversy recently about school boundary lines for some of the neighborhoods above. Please verify addresses on the school district websites at: Pasco County Schools and Hillsborough County Public Schools-Tampa Florida.

SR 54 was recently widened to 6 lanes. The section east of US 41 at I-75 is currently in the midst of a huge re-design. The interchange is supposed to support future development for the new commercial and residential development in the area. This should have very little affect on Ivy Lakes and Greyhawk. If you're concerned about Future Land use, contact Pasco County Building & Zoning. There was also rallying by Greyhawk neighboring residents (particularly Ballantrae) against proposed plans by Florida Power to install new high voltage power lines. I'm fairly certain FP has chosen another route along the existing routes.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 09-09-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 05:19 AM

Thanks to TampaKaren for her detailed input. I need more confirmation on the commute. I'll be working in downtown Tampa and will be on the road by 6:30 am and returning about 4:00 pm. What sort of congestion should I expect?

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM

32 posts, read 92,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkBIG View Post
Thanks to TampaKaren for her detailed input. I need more confirmation on the commute. I'll be working in downtown Tampa and will be on the road by 6:30 am and returning about 4:00 pm. What sort of congestion should I expect?

Thanks!

Not much congestion at all,
I travel from SR54 (LOL) at 6.30am. It takes 30min to Downtown Tampa.
It takes the same back if you leave at 4.00pm.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 PM

384 posts, read 2,063,748 times
I live in Ivy Lake Estates and love it here. Let me know if you have any questions about our neighborhood. We have no CDDs, low HOA, and are a well established community with no empty lots. Most everyone takes very good care of their property. I feel very safe living here. The taxes in Pasco are lower than Hillsborough and the schools are good. I don't commute to Tampa, so I can't help you with that, but I can tell you that the Suncoast Pkwy being so close makes it very easy to get to Tampa and the surrounding areas.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 AM

Thank you Pigeon1916 and sueinge. So, based on my research and the opinions expressed here, the traffic at these times isn't bad at all, right? So, when does the congestion happen?

Does anyone know what stores are in the shopping center at the intersection of the Suncoast and SR54? Are more coming?

Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or