Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Maybe that's what I'm missing. He must be talking about Boat Lake --> Home. I saw them cable pulling... it's amazing!
Interesting.....I don't think Lake Tarpon is gonna cut the mustard then, I've seen lots of people skiing there but never with the all the ramps and stuff in the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 30,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Maybe that's what I'm missing. He must be talking about Boat Lake --> Home. I saw them cable pulling... it's amazing!
I am out of town this weekend so won't get much chance to check out the places everyone is posting. Thanks for all the info. Yes McCormicks is the place I go. The cable park is new. I ski on the other lake with the slalom course and jump. Three event skiing is jump, slalom and tricking. If you look at McCormicks site were the jump is that would be a three event ski lake. I would be happy with a lake that I could practice on without a jump and go to McCormick s to use the jump.
My wife and I have been pretty much all over Florida and keep coming back to the Tampa area. When I come down here to ski we usually stay at Clearwater so my wife can stay on the beach and I drive in to ski. Usually takes an hour from the beach. If its a short stay we usually stay on the the bay close to the airport on 60. There is a public beach there.
My wife is in banking so I figured staying close to Tampa would be good. We will probably rent when we come down. I am trying to gather as much info as I can so we can take some long weekend to come down and check out some of the places we like.
Thanks again for the info
Dave

Old 09-12-2009, 01:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I have no idea where or what "pleasure Island" is in Hudson... never heard of it, and I have lived here for 16 years.
Skeleton Key is a marina...it's not a subdivision- it's at the end of Clark St. right at Hudson beach.
Hudson is 50 percent nice homes (mostly older on the coast), and 50 percent trailer trash.
There are newer golf course community homes, mainly along the stretch of Hudson Ave. between Fivay Rd. and Little Rd.
The coastal communities are hit and miss- Sea Ranch is OK but older, Sea Pines is also older but some areas have nicer homes on the water, but for the most part the waterfront communities in Hudson are nothing special (if compared to Clearwater of Tarpon Springs areas).
I'd concentrate on the area that I mentioned in one of the golf course areas, or up along County Line Rd. just east of US 19...newer places out there too. The rest of the area is pretty lousy; you may want to check out some other areas.

And that is why you have to be very careful here. Why would anyone want to subject themselves in an areas that are 50% trailer trash.

Not saying that everyone that lives in a trailer is trailer trash, but Hudson is known for low class rednecks, meth labs,, etc.

OP wouldn't relocate to an inner city ghetto, why live around white trash in a rural ghetto?

Even if you buy a home in a nice area why live somewhere with that element around you.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 112,940 times
There is a Pleasure Isles subdivision in Hudson but its doesnt live up to its name....mixture of mobile homes, older flat roofed block homes, and some newer homes which personally I wouldnt have built there! Moon Lake is a pretty big lake and some of the homes around it are pretty nice, others are not so nice.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 30,018 times
After looking on google earth for the last couple of weeks. I like the looks of the lakes North of Tampa Bay. In the Northwest corner of Hillsborough. Does anyone know if you can ski on the larger ones. Who owns the lakes? Are they private or association?
Dave

Old 09-19-2009, 03:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
In Odessa most of the lakes are just private unless it is a new subdivision and no one lived on the lake previously. There aren't a lot of 'big' lakes but you can ski however you won't be doing much but going around in a large circle. We lived on a 60 acre lake which was spring fed. A couple of kids did ski on the lake behind a small bass boat.

Lake Padgett Estates in Land O Lakes has an Civic association where the ppl who live in the subdivision can join so they can use the lake. Lake Padgett and Lake Tarpon are both big lakes.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
DaveP, this sounds like Lake Tarpon. Skiing, boating and fishing are allowed. The lake is in Pinellas County though, but it's easily accessible from NW Hillsborough County via Tarpon Springs Road. Lake Tarpon and the Anclote River are much of the reason Tarpon Springs is in a flood zone.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM

119 posts, read 206,895 times
I live in Hudson, so can tell you there is only one tiny beach, and it is closed to swimming due to pollution many days out of the year. Seffner is a couple of hours drive. Likewise any of the real beaches are over thirty miles away. The nearest would be Honey Moon Island in Dunedin. I go there fairly often so know, it is about a 45 minute drive.

The areas you have mentioned, are pretty much trailer trash areas. There are some nicer homes near the water, but they are scattered about. You do not really say what you are looking for in a living situation. I live in Beacon Woods one of the "deed restricted" communities off of Fivay Rd. It is pleasant enough, but has very strict deed restrictions which border on the ridiculous. If you don't mind others telling how to run your life, Beacon Woods is a reasonable choice. Lots of smaller houses in your price bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay