U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 25,515 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could tell ma a little about this area. My wife and I are planning on moving to the Tampa area by the end of next summer. I have read a lot of posts on here, so I am getting an idea on were and were not to look. I haven't heard anyone mention what I believe is called the skeleton keys. Looks like a neat place to live unless a hurricane was coming. I found a listing on a repo for 124K. Seems to good to be true, so I figure there must be a down side.
appreciate any help
Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 PM

826 posts, read 2,620,209 times
I have no idea where or what "pleasure Island" is in Hudson... never heard of it, and I have lived here for 16 years.
Skeleton Key is a marina...it's not a subdivision- it's at the end of Clark St. right at Hudson beach.
Hudson is 50 percent nice homes (mostly older on the coast), and 50 percent trailer trash.
There are newer golf course community homes, mainly along the stretch of Hudson Ave. between Fivay Rd. and Little Rd.
The coastal communities are hit and miss- Sea Ranch is OK but older, Sea Pines is also older but some areas have nicer homes on the water, but for the most part the waterfront communities in Hudson are nothing special (if compared to Clearwater of Tarpon Springs areas).
I'd concentrate on the area that I mentioned in one of the golf course areas, or up along County Line Rd. just east of US 19...newer places out there too. The rest of the area is pretty lousy; you may want to check out some other areas.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I have no idea where or what "pleasure Island" is in Hudson... never heard of it, and I have lived here for 16 years.
Skeleton Key is a marina...it's not a subdivision- it's at the end of Clark St. right at Hudson beach.
Hudson is 50 percent nice homes (mostly older on the coast), and 50 percent trailer trash.
There are newer golf course community homes, mainly along the stretch of Hudson Ave. between Fivay Rd. and Little Rd.
The coastal communities are hit and miss- Sea Ranch is OK but older, Sea Pines is also older but some areas have nicer homes on the water, but for the most part the waterfront communities in Hudson are nothing special (if compared to Clearwater of Tarpon Springs areas).
I'd concentrate on the area that I mentioned in one of the golf course areas, or up along County Line Rd. just east of US 19...newer places out there too. The rest of the area is pretty lousy; you may want to check out some other areas.

This is the area I was referring to.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lY-Ky2SsZ6U/Sqq04x_XE6I/AAAAAAAAC0Y/6TA9PjiO46U/Hudson%2C%20Fl..jpg (broken link)

Old 09-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Moderator cut: deleted quoted post

My goal is to stay close to the beach for my wife. I also would like to stay close to Seffner,30 minute or less, were I water ski.
My other choice would be to buy on a three event water ski lake. I thought there was one in Clearwater, but am unable to find it. I know there are a lot of water ski lakes in central Florida. I can't seem to locate any of them through listings though.
Thanks Dave

Last edited by Keeper; 09-12-2009 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,252,892 times
Winter Haven perhaps??? I know there are many lakes in that area, Hudson doesn't have much going for it, other than that small little beach where the water was rated "D" by the state, in fact, most of the gulf has been rated "D" all the way up into Weeki Wachee.

Good luck finding somewhere to water ski.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,662,257 times
Most of the small lakes around Hudson, Spring Hill area where they used to water ski and fish when i moved here eight years ago are now empty. Now you might see an occasional atv driving thru it. Pretty sad.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:06 PM

15,759 posts, read 32,822,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P. View Post
Hi Ken,
My goal is to stay close to the beach for my wife. I also would like to stay close to Seffner,30 minute or less, were I water ski.
My other choice would be to buy on a three event water ski lake. I thought there was one in Clearwater, but am unable to find it. I know there are a lot of water ski lakes in central Florida. I can't seem to locate any of them through listings though.
Thanks Dave
Check Lutz and Land o Lakes, many lakes for water skiing there. Also plenty of big, beautiful lakes in Lakeland and Winter Haven, but those are further from the coast.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:38 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,582,302 times
I'm sure I'm missing some pertinent info, but Hudson is an hour plus from Seffner and Seffner is an hour away from any beach. That said, there are lots of ski-sized lakes. Tower Lake in Oldsmar is one of many examples and it's 20 minutes to the beach --> Tampa Bay Water Ski Show Team. Also, following are links to the Hillsborough County Water Atlas and the Pinellas County Water Atlas. You can look up all the lakes and their size. You will need further research to determine whether skiing is permitted. I couldn't find a link for the Pasco Lakes, Rivers, Streams, etc., but skiing is allowed on Lake Padget in Land O Lakes. Maybe some other people will chime in with more choices.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 09-11-2009 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,930,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P. View Post
Hi Ken,
Thanks Dave
What is a 3 event water ski lake? In the Clearwater area Lake Tarpon is a pretty decent size Lake.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,582,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
What is a 3 event water ski lake? In the Clearwater area Lake Tarpon is a pretty decent size Lake.
Maybe that's what I'm missing. He must be talking about Boat Lake --> http://www.skimccormick.com/. I saw them cable pulling... it's amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay