U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 PM
 
326 posts, read 1,068,265 times
Reputation: 167

Advertisements

Your not kidding when you say smaller scale. Yes I did travel outside of Temple Terrace went to Channelside, toke the trolley to Ybor. Then the next day went to St. Pete beach, Baywalk and the Pier. Went to Ybor and Channelside at night too. That all will take you two days the most.


It's just that Craigs looking for entertainment, young people, and a more urban feel. Living in Ft. Lauderdale he'll have all that and then some. Heck Miami's just 20 minutes away he know's theirs no Manhattan but that as close as you'll get living in Florida. If he was looking for a small city with big city amenities on a small scale Tampa would be for him.

All three major cities got their own if not more than one international airports, concerts venues, ports, museums, broadway theatres, clubbing districts and beaches. The beaches on the east coast have alot more recreational use to them aswell.


Ft. Lauderdale has more to offer than the whole Tampa Bay Area! I think Tampa should be stripped of it's Floridas 2nd city title and given to Ft. Lauderdale.

Just some facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: New York City
238 posts, read 498,656 times
Reputation: 155
I appreciate everyone's feedback....it has been most helpful....

I think it will likely be either Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.....I am tipping slightly in favor of Fort Lauderdale, though....When i go down to visit my dad, i will have to checkout the two areas again, and hopefully it will help me decide....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,121,801 times
Reputation: 2141
I agree with Fort Lauderdale, You'll love it there............we did too.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: New York City
238 posts, read 498,656 times
Reputation: 155
Thanks Algia.....i appreciate the encouragement.....yeah, i will check out both when i get down there, but i suspect it will be Fort Lauderdale that i will end up choosing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: New York City
238 posts, read 498,656 times
Reputation: 155
Since i last posted to my thread...i have done a lot of research online, looking at you tube travel videos about Tampa, etc....Tampa does seem intriguing somehow to me....

I wouldn't say i was definately settled on fort lauderdale...perhaps i may like Tampa better...i know i will need to check it out to be sure.....

Would you posters here on Tampa Bay say that if i lived around central Tampa...that i could find lots of interesting stuff to do without having to do tons of driving?

What areas are nice for a lot of stuff nearby...walkability, etc?

Living in Manhattan for so many years, the only thing i shudder at is having to get a car again (after being carless for so long...lol)...i don't suppose it is at all practical to live in central part of Tampa without a car? If i must have one, at least i'd prefer to be able to do minimal driving to reach maximum amount of nightlife, restaurants, movies, shopping, recreation, etc....

Also i was curious, i thought i read just a few years ago that there was a major effort to make downtown Tampa very vibrant and a 24 hr area?
Is that still happening? Or has it fizzled out?

And which is the closet nice beach to central tampa? How far in miles?

Does it really rain every day there in the summer? In Southeast Florida, i know they often get like 1 hr of heavy rain in a day and then it is gone...but not EVERY day in the summer...

And are the nightime temps in Winter a lot lower then Southeast Florida? Because nights in the winter there are mostly warm or slightly cool but never really cold..except when the rare "cold snap" shoots in for just a few days....

You people on Tampa Bay forum are terrific...look forward to your responses....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,768,695 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Since i last posted to my thread...i have done a lot of research online, looking at you tube travel videos about Tampa, etc....Tampa does seem intriguing somehow to me....

I wouldn't say i was definately settled on fort lauderdale...perhaps i may like Tampa better...i know i will need to check it out to be sure.....

Would you posters here on Tampa Bay say that if i lived around central Tampa...that i could find lots of interesting stuff to do without having to do tons of driving? What is interesting to you?

What areas are nice for a lot of stuff nearby...walkability, etc? Downtown, Channelside, Hyde Park, Bayshore Gardens, Palma Ceia, SOHO, Ybor City, Harbour Island.

Living in Manhattan for so many years, the only thing i shudder at is having to get a car again (after being carless for so long...lol)...i don't suppose it is at all practical to live in central part of Tampa without a car? If i must have one, at least i'd prefer to be able to do minimal driving to reach maximum amount of nightlife, restaurants, movies, shopping, recreation, etc....You can do it, i have friends that live downtown, Hyde Park and SOHO area with no car...they use bus, bike, walk, friends, taxis.

Also i was curious, i thought i read just a few years ago that there was a major effort to make downtown Tampa very vibrant and a 24 hr area?
Is that still happening? Or has it fizzled out? Still happening at a much slower place that a few years ago...there is ALOT more happeneing in downtown than there was about 5 years ago..Forum, Theaters, Performing Arts, Nightlife, Clubs, Restaurants, Museums, Events/Festivals, Parks/Riverwalk...

And which is the closet nice beach to central tampa? How far in miles? Closest nicest beach is Pass-a-Grille, about 30-35 minutes, maybe a bit more than 20 miles.

Does it really rain every day there in the summer? In Southeast Florida, i know they often get like 1 hr of heavy rain in a day and then it is gone...but not EVERY day in the summer...pretty much the same in Tampa

And are the nightime temps in Winter a lot lower then Southeast Florida? Because nights in the winter there are mostly warm or slightly cool but never really cold..except when the rare "cold snap" shoots in for just a few days.... Similar, not much lower in Tampa, but the cold air may linger a few more days in Tampa than in Southeast Fl where it warms back up practically the next day...Tampa does get more 'cold fronts' that push all the way through, sometimes they stall out and dont quite make it all the ay to Southeast FL

You people on Tampa Bay forum are terrific...look forward to your responses....
I hope this helps...answers in ORANGE above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: New York City
238 posts, read 498,656 times
Reputation: 155
that was great tampaguy....very informative! Of course other feedbacks welcome as well

well...as far as interests and things i like.....let me try to list a bunch i can think of off hand....

movies (multiplex theatres that are really nice that show new films) as well as classic films (I'm sure the Tampa Theatre should be great for that)....reasonably priced restaurants with good food, occasional bars with perhaps live music.....music concerts (into rock, pop, etc) comedy clubs....some gambling.....interesting areas to walk around... art museums and science museums....theatre/shows.....free music concerts, beach, good places to walk and bicycle......parks, large, nice libraries, nice shopping malls, mom and pop type of stores, zoos, organizations you can join to meet people with common interests, and probably other stuff i can't think of at the moment....


by the way...glad to hear that downtown tampa is continuing to evolve in that direction as far as vibrancy and 24 hr things to do stuff (even if at a slower pace).....From the photos and videos i've seen, it certainly has a very "city look" and coming from manhattan, though i realize it would never be like that, i do very much like the idea of a vibrant city center to do things in...and those skyscraper type buildings would certainly help give me a taste of what i am use to seeing here...

oh...also...would you say that the people living there are generally more friendly and "down to earth" then the kind you meet in southeast florida? A generalization of course....but just curious about your observations regarding that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,768,695 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
that was great tampaguy....very informative! Of course other feedbacks welcome as well

well...as far as interests and things i like.....let me try to list a bunch i can think of off hand....

movies (multiplex theatres that are really nice that show new films) as well as classic films (I'm sure the Tampa Theatre should be great for that)....reasonably priced restaurants with good food, occasional bars with perhaps live music.....music concerts (into rock, pop, etc) comedy clubs....some gambling.....interesting areas to walk around... art museums and science museums....theatre/shows.....free music concerts, beach, good places to walk and bicycle......parks, large, nice libraries, nice shopping malls, mom and pop type of stores, zoos, organizations you can join to meet people with common interests, and probably other stuff i can't think of at the moment....


by the way...glad to hear that downtown tampa is continuing to evolve in that direction as far as vibrancy and 24 hr things to do stuff (even if at a slower pace).....From the photos and videos i've seen, it certainly has a very "city look" and coming from manhattan, though i realize it would never be like that, i do very much like the idea of a vibrant city center to do things in...and those skyscraper type buildings would certainly help give me a taste of what i am use to seeing here...

oh...also...would you say that the people living there are generally more friendly and "down to earth" then the kind you meet in southeast florida? A generalization of course....but just curious about your observations regarding that...

Youll find most everyting that interets you in your list above within either blocks of walking, streetcar/trolley , or a mile of downtown Tampa. Check out these sites for more info on downtown Tampa and the surrounding downtown neighborhoods(Downtown Proper(where the big buildings are),Ybor City, Channelside, Harbour Island, Davis Islands, Hyde Park)

Tampa Downtown Partnership

http://www.discoverintown.com/

And yes, Tampa will NEVER be a Manhatten(thank goodness for that-love to visit NYC, but dont want to live it), but for a small city, it has just about everything any major city has, just on a smaller scale.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 11-24-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Location: New York City
238 posts, read 498,656 times
Reputation: 155
thanks again..most helpful....

oh also:

1) how about people in general as compared to southeast fl? (more friendly? down to earth types?)

2) Less Hurricane Prone then Southeast fl or the same?

3) The area you described seems perfect then for what i want without having to travel too far...would you say there is more of that stuff there then in the vicinity of Ft Lauderdale?

4) Is it possible to get a really nice apartment in that are (1 bedroom with terrace in a place with pools and recreation center) for between $800-$1000 and would that be a very old apt or might it be possible to get something fairly new or even new constuction?

PS: I know what you mean about Manhattan....i love it...but it can be a bit "much" at times....lol Still, as i said..i would appreciate an interesting vibrant urban center...only in a much warmer and sunnier climate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 AM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,768,695 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
thanks again..most helpful....

oh also:

1) how about people in general as compared to southeast fl? (more friendly? down to earth types?)

2) Less Hurricane Prone then Southeast fl or the same?

3) The area you described seems perfect then for what i want without having to travel too far...would you say there is more of that stuff there then in the vicinity of Ft Lauderdale?

4) Is it possible to get a really nice apartment in that are (1 bedroom with terrace in a place with pools and recreation center) for between $800-$1000 and would that be a very old apt or might it be possible to get something fairly new or even new constuction?

PS: I know what you mean about Manhattan....i love it...but it can be a bit "much" at times....lol Still, as i said..i would appreciate an interesting vibrant urban center...only in a much warmer and sunnier climate...
1) I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a few years, the people reminded me of those growing up on Long Island, NY,,,fast paced, brash, i have nothing against them, and made a ton of friends.., but came back to Tampa after a few years because I felt more relaxed and comfortable on the West Coast...Tampa semed more down to earth, but thats me. You willl get all kinds of people everywhere in any metro area.

2) Same hurricane prone - but id be more concerned with getting in a car accident or having my place go on fire than a hurricane, they are few and far in between comparingly.

3) Yes, what I found in Ft Lauderdale is if I wanted football, hockey, concerts, etc. I had to travel outside of downtown areas, and NEEDED a car....at least in Tampa, the Forum is downtown(Hockey, concerts, events), and the football stadium is less than 5 miles from downtown...everything seemed to be in closer proximity in Tampa.

4) Yes, look at craigslist for a start and put in your price range for rentals for the downtown, Channelside, Harbour Island, Davis ISlands, Hyde Park, SOHO, Ybor City and South Tampa areas....you may also want to contact a realtor who specializes in rentals.


PS - the closest you will come to Manhatten with a warmer and sunnier climate is Miami. Tampa has some great urban neighborhoods within blocks downtown(Hyde Park/SOHO/Channelside/Harbour Island/Ybor City, etc.), and downtown is chugging away at becoming a hot spot 24/7 but it is still a 'Financial District' of Tampa, where about 60000 work by day, and less than 3000 live by night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top