Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM

12 posts, read 25,054 times

Advertisements

I am moving to town this month and visiting next week. My short list includes Dunedin, Island Estates, and St Pete Beach.

Basically, I am looking for young (25-35), active, social communities with a lot to do (pool, exercise, & entertainment areas) and walking distance to beaches/parks/restaurants and bars.

Any thoughts on those communities or any I missed is greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a specific apt or condo community I should check out and why?

Thanks a mil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,239,368 times
Dunedin isn't what I would call an entertainment mecca. It is basically a small town. where are you going to be working?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 PM

108 posts, read 308,757 times
Island Estates is right next to Clearwater Beach, which is the most "happening" place of the ones you listed. Most of your neighbors on your street/in your building will be much older though.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 AM

what you mentioned is what i am fearing a little. island estates has the location but is older and dunedin offers some things but is farther from the beach.

i am both finalizing a divorce and moving to a new state. so i dont know many people and want to setup in an environment where i can step out and meet 25-35yo, active, and walk (preferably) or bike to the beach.

any other suggestions or comments? thanks!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 AM

17,559 posts, read 39,213,061 times
St. Pete has far nicer beaches than Clearwater, and is a better city overall. Dunedin shouldn't even be on your list, it's a nice little town, but not what you are looking for, and no beach.

Look around downtown St. Pete or the beaches there - others will have to give specific recommendations as to communities to live, since I don't live there and not familiar with them.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,222,399 times
We just spent a couple weeks in St Pete Beach, there are plenty of gated communities on the way to the beach area, there is a resort area also. I loved the area, but you would be very isolated from jobs/business unless you work in the service or food industry.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,316,591 times
Actually, if you live in the central part of town (within the vicinity of downtown St. Pete Beach), you would just have to go over the Corey Causeway and take Pasadena to Central/1st Avenue, which is a straight shot into downtown St. Pete. If you live in the south part of SPB, then yeah, you'd probably take the Bayway and pass all those high-rises.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 AM

108 posts, read 308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiea68 View Post
what you mentioned is what i am fearing a little. island estates has the location but is older and dunedin offers some things but is farther from the beach.

i am both finalizing a divorce and moving to a new state. so i dont know many people and want to setup in an environment where i can step out and meet 25-35yo, active, and walk (preferably) or bike to the beach.

any other suggestions or comments? thanks!
The best place for you to meet people your age would be South Tampa, even though it's not that close to the beaches. Other than that, you've got St Pete downtown, which is right on the bay but you still would need to drive about 15 minutes to get to the closest beach.

It really comes down to this. If you want to live right on the beach, then you will be surrounded mostly by old people and tourists. Clearwater Beach is probably the only exception to this, as I constantly see lots of younger crowds. But this is a resort, so there's a good chance most of them are only here visiting.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 17,672 times
these cats make it all sound so big i mean its like a 20 minute drive from the bay to the gulf and that only because of the amount of lights(central ave like 14 to 16 lights) plus the amount of recent and constant people who cant stop moving here(that means ever expanding traffic for a never expanding roadway) and for your question, dunedin to st. pete beach thats a hell of contrast but at the same time i guess its not if you have never been here than dont take the word of someone who came to visit grandma 5 years ago and thinks that nothing is better than shoveling snow and golly gee i love that sunshine because lets face it the wages are low the price of living is high(but the price of houses has falen) bull... if you buy the insurance and property WILL get you and if you rent just hope its not from someone who thought it was a great idea to take out that equity 4 or 5 years ago when there 42,000 dollar quickly became worth 180,000 because youll be paying that mortgage hike.....try texas i here its better anyway.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM

lol...i am moving from texas...there is no water in central texas! it is just too dry for me. i must have been a fish in an earlier life!

thanks everyone. this is really helpful. any other thoughts is greatly appreciated.

frankie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay