U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,644,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
A couple years ago St. Pete was rated one of the best cities in the SOuth for raising a family by another magazine- it's all relative I guess. It looks like St. Pete came in at #78 in this survey.
Well, the benefit of the placement of Tampa/St Pete on that list is that the more in demand we become, the more expensive we will get. A nice side dish to this is that the lesser the amount of people on the road during rush hour - the better!

So yeah, everyone, Tampa/St Pete. . . very, very badddd. Good place to visit, but not a good place to live. The article is right.

Fargo, ND and Lincoln, NE ROCKS!

(don't hurt me, don't hurt me! lol)

Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,893,074 times
I raised my children in Tampa and they both turned out to be wonderful adults. Never had any problems with either of them.

You are right so much depends on the parents..
My stepsons were also raised in Tampa and 1 turned out fine but the other quit school, had a son at 17 and is a drug addict. Sadly his son quit school at 15, got a girl pregnant (at 15) and does drugs.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM

976 posts, read 895,648 times
Miami is 2nd worst and Orlando was like one spot behind Miami. The only city WORSE than Orlando and Miami was Detroit. So 3 FL cities in the bottom 6 0r 7.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM

30 posts, read 81,463 times
I'd like to know what criteria and stats were used for the basis of this list. I have lived in quite a few different areas of the country and being born & raised in NJ, I don't get how Newark & Jersey City, have such high rankings...not less than 3 mos ago yahoo had an article on the best places to raise a family and Virginia Beach, VA was in the top 10 and there is no mention of that city but Norfolk, VA made the list.

All of these list are subjective. Every town/area has their good areas and bad areas.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,994 times
Top 10 Worst Places to Live in the U.S. - Scanner (http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/archive/2009/02/11/top-10-worst-places-to-live-in-the-u-s.aspx - broken link)
here is another opinion - not worst for kids, just worst!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM

426 posts, read 1,121,456 times
Trying to normalize anything into a list like this is just foolish. A list implies that there is some objective criteria but in reality it is always subjective, so you're getting the top 100 items, according t the author and nobody else. Largely, these lists are produced for entertainment purposes. Secondarily I guess they can be thought provoking... making you think for yourself about what is good and bad about a given area.

IMHO, They should just write a story on 50 great places to raise kids or something.

It is like trying to come up with the #1 best beach in America. That list comes out every year. I've been to many of the #1 beaches on the annual lists, having lived in FL and HI. They're all great, I'd never even try to say one was better than another if I were being objective. I have subjective preferences, yes... for example, I like stand up paddle-boarding, and Hanalei Bay is best for that. At the same time you've got a better chance of bad weather there, and less of a chance at Poipu or Fort Desoto.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,121,801 times
"IMHO, They should just write a story on 50 great places to raise kids or something. "

They do, for the last 6 months Yahoo had an article out about either: "Best places to find jobs", best places to live" etc etc........

The issue is this, the population is not the same everywhere, there are a lot of people here that came from other parts of the globe so If a reporter is going to ask me or someone else that lived and been to Italy if I can find the same culture in Detroit, the answer will be NO, but then HOW the heck can you compare?????????? one country with thousands of years of history with a town that is mostly known for the auto industry and nothing else!???????? That is just NOT FAIR! to either!

But you're right, they do this because:
1. They need to keep the entertainment value (all tho I don't find this entertaining since I live here and I know it is a great place for a lot of things)
2. Boost up other areas that may not be as popular
3. they are just THAT SHALLOW and can't write about anything else! or the editor is an idiot!

I mean, have you seen the titles at check out these days? last night we had to go to Publix and NEWSWEEK of all magazines, had on the cover a baby and it read something like this: "Is Your Baby A racist?"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked!
Now, they are trying to blame racism on genes!? give me a freakin break! Now their going to WASTE more tax dollars to prove THAT???

As with all the media here, it is all for shock value, nothing more, there is NO substance to anything that is printed anymore...no morals, nothing......just a shocking article to get you to spend $4.99! so they can continue to cut trees and justify printing all this crap!

Not all the people have the same expectations from the place they live in either.....some live here and would rather be in Wisconsin...so if they are asked, of course their going to say they rather be somewhere else and they could find a million reasons to justify it, same goes for someone IN Wisconsin that is sick of the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! so, how can you REALLY get a straight answer?

The beach thing is also highly subjective because we all don't go to the beach for the same reasons.......I go because I like to sit under the umbrella and enjoy the view, others love to surf, and the list goes on and on......Fort De Soto was voted #1 beach but I want to know what the criteria was??? because when we went it was super crowded (no holiday, just any Sunday) and there were cigarette butts everywhere and other garbage.........so......if they asked ME If I thought it was #1, I would have said no, only because it was not kept up clean enough for MY taste!

Oh well, I guess we know what it's like to live in Tampa, and as long as people moving here don't move here with the concept that the schools are top notch and are going to transform their children into little Einsteins ALL on their own, or expect to find the Grand Canyon here, I think were good! and we can agree that Tampa is a Great city, of course there is always room for improvement, but you have a mix of people and not all want the same things! so in the end, it is take it or leave it.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,405,476 times
Quote:
Detroit, Michigan ranks as the worst place in America to raise a family followed
by Miami, Florida (99), Orlando, Florida (98), Memphis, Tennessee (97), Fresno,
California (96), Cleveland, Ohio (95), Tampa, Florida (94), Phoenix, Arizona
(93), Las Vegas, Nevada (92) and Toledo, Ohio (91).
All or almost all of these places are examples of cities where housing has crashed hard, either due to a popping bubble or loss of manufacturing jobs. I'll be interested to see a similar survey after housing recovers.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM

426 posts, read 1,121,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
"
I mean, have you seen the titles at check out these days?
Yes... I try not to look, but sadly, sometimes I see them anyway. The news media in this country really sucks. For days, CNN's home page has nearly been dedicated to the Yale girl who went missing.

Now, this is a sad story for sure. But, do you have any idea how many murders, kidnappings, etc. happen every day? The media grabbed this particular story and ran with it because she is (1) young (2) pretty and (3) an Ivy leaguer.

Or is there another reason??? Isn't her story a convenient excuse to not have to cover two other stories of true national importance... two stories that many might feel reflect badly on Obama? Yes, the ACORN scandal and the fallout after the Van Jones controversy & resignation.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 AM

15,760 posts, read 32,827,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
"IMHO, They should just write a story on 50 great places to raise kids or something. "

They do, for the last 6 months Yahoo had an article out about either: "Best places to find jobs", best places to live" etc etc........

The issue is this, the population is not the same everywhere, there are a lot of people here that came from other parts of the globe so If a reporter is going to ask me or someone else that lived and been to Italy if I can find the same culture in Detroit, the answer will be NO, but then HOW the heck can you compare?????????? one country with thousands of years of history with a town that is mostly known for the auto industry and nothing else!???????? That is just NOT FAIR! to either!

But you're right, they do this because:
1. They need to keep the entertainment value (all tho I don't find this entertaining since I live here and I know it is a great place for a lot of things)
2. Boost up other areas that may not be as popular
3. they are just THAT SHALLOW and can't write about anything else! or the editor is an idiot!

I mean, have you seen the titles at check out these days? last night we had to go to Publix and NEWSWEEK of all magazines, had on the cover a baby and it read something like this: "Is Your Baby A racist?"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked!
Now, they are trying to blame racism on genes!? give me a freakin break! Now their going to WASTE more tax dollars to prove THAT???

As with all the media here, it is all for shock value, nothing more, there is NO substance to anything that is printed anymore...no morals, nothing......just a shocking article to get you to spend $4.99! so they can continue to cut trees and justify printing all this crap!

Not all the people have the same expectations from the place they live in either.....some live here and would rather be in Wisconsin...so if they are asked, of course their going to say they rather be somewhere else and they could find a million reasons to justify it, same goes for someone IN Wisconsin that is sick of the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! so, how can you REALLY get a straight answer?

The beach thing is also highly subjective because we all don't go to the beach for the same reasons.......I go because I like to sit under the umbrella and enjoy the view, others love to surf, and the list goes on and on......Fort De Soto was voted #1 beach but I want to know what the criteria was??? because when we went it was super crowded (no holiday, just any Sunday) and there were cigarette butts everywhere and other garbage.........so......if they asked ME If I thought it was #1, I would have said no, only because it was not kept up clean enough for MY taste!

Oh well, I guess we know what it's like to live in Tampa, and as long as people moving here don't move here with the concept that the schools are top notch and are going to transform their children into little Einsteins ALL on their own, or expect to find the Grand Canyon here, I think were good! and we can agree that Tampa is a Great city, of course there is always room for improvement, but you have a mix of people and not all want the same things! so in the end, it is take it or leave it.
This is so true, algia, those lists are just ridiculous and self-serving, because we all want different things from an area, so what I would love about a place might be exactly what another person hates. It is a very individual thing.

Another thing is that many of those dumb lists are compiled using what I call "dry statistics" for things like crime, housing or other criteria which may or may not really paint a true picture of an area. I have noticed that a few cities that used to pop up on all kinds of "best cities" lists a few years ago are now not on the lists anymore. Did they all of a sudden just "stop" being a best city? You see what I mean? These lists mean NOTHING, and I pity anyone who would take this kind of thing at face value. It's the same as asking for info on this forum, we all answer according to our own perspectives, and all of us who are here almost every day can see that the opinions run the gamut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or