U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,772,471 times

Advertisements

yea, i dont understand lists either, especially seeing this, but yet CNN/Money, USNews, and Forbes all listed Tampa in the top 10 as places to live this year...hmmm

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM

205 posts, read 926,496 times
Default Rude Much?

WHOA - aren't you a ray of sunshine? I just thought the list was interesting and since I see people always saying what a great place this is to raise a family....

I didn't post a link because I wasn't sure of the rules on posting links... you should really learn to chill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
No, you are not cynical - just shows that you really DO need a change from Florida, as your name implies. When you can only pick out the negative and ugly, it's time to go!

Heh - OK. . . We've lived in these 3 specific cities listed in a row - and my son has turned out wonderfully. Graduated a year early from High School and is Pre-Med. No arrests. No mental problems. No past or current drug issues - like most would "expect" from kids growing up in these areas.

Detroit, Michigan ranks as the worst place in America to raise a family followed
by Miami, Florida (99), Orlando, Florida (98), Memphis, Tennessee (97), Fresno,
California (96), Cleveland, Ohio (95), Tampa, Florida (94), Phoenix, Arizona
(93), Las Vegas, Nevada (92) and Toledo, Ohio (91).

The list is utter mish-mosh.

Need help packing? Have bubble wrap!

--------------------------------------------

Here are the links since the OP did not include it:

Children`s Health Magazine Reveals America`s 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family | Reuters

and

Children's Health Magazine : Parents : The 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family

Old 09-17-2009, 04:02 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,005,237 times
Actually Forbes magazine listed Tampa as one of the worst job markets in the country.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM

205 posts, read 926,496 times
Default Tampa NOT even in top 100 for CNN Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually Forbes magazine listed Tampa as one of the worst job markets in the country.
Yes, they did. Also, Tampa didn't even rank anywhere in the top 100 for places to live on CNN Money's list....not sure where you saw otherwise TampaGuy

Best Places to Live 2009 - from Money Magazine

Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,554,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
Yes, they did. Also, Tampa didn't even rank anywhere in the top 100 for places to live on CNN Money's list....not sure where you saw otherwise TampaGuy

Did you happen to notice the population they had for Tampa? 338,000 or so

Just about everytime one of these lists comes out they use the population, crime etc. for within the Tampa city limits. Being that is a miniscule portion of the total population of the area but also where the lowest income and highest crime is.

These lists are generally riduculous and in no way give a true profile of an area.

This would be like taking the income and crime in Manhattan north of 125th st and using that to rank NYC by.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,772,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post

....... just lists..

Jan 2009 - Forbes ranks Tampa #5 in the nation as best place to live
In Depth: America's Most And Least Popular Cities - Forbes.com

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM

976 posts, read 897,230 times
^^^"Popular" is different than "best places to live"...

If you also notice, Orlando is ranked #4 - they mention the number of sunny days and Disney. Not exactly criterion for best places to live, in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
^^^"Popular" is different than "best places to live"...

If you also notice, Orlando is ranked #4 - they mention the number of sunny days and Disney. Not exactly criterion for best places to live, in my opinion.
I have noticed some of these lists used "buzz" as a criteria.
None of them are really worth a cr@p since some areas are laid out drastically different from other areas and that will have a big difference on the results.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,272 times
Is this really any surprise at all? I am going to assume that they are weighting this based primarily on the public school system and the local economy/employment. No surprise there as it has been known for many years that FL has consistently ranked at the bottom for public schools in this nation. Additionally, FL being essentially ground zero for the real estate bubble hasn't helped employment.

All I can say is thank goodness for the great number of high quality private schools this state has.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
Is this really any surprise at all? I am going to assume that they are weighting this based primarily on the public school system and the local economy/employment. No surprise there as it has been known for many years that FL has consistently ranked at the bottom for public schools in this nation. Additionally, FL being essentially ground zero for the real estate bubble hasn't helped employment.

All I can say is thank goodness for the great number of high quality private schools this state has.
Another skewed ranking. What does a school hundreds of miles away in the same state have to do with the school my kids go to?

Besides the fact that Florida is not at the bottom over the last few years in rankings that are done by educators and not magazines.

There are also I believe 9 Florida H.S.'s in the top 100 rankings, 3 of those in the top 11. That would be the top 100 in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or