U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,128,394 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

But how can you really compare Tampa's Industries with California for example? or other states?

Ranks in what? what exactly it is being compared here!?? because the mass unemployment here started when the housing bubble exploded! before that if you dig up articles from 2005, 2006 they say something completely different! what is Florida known for exactly? we don't have auto industry here, we don't build planes, or have miles of wineries...or anything else that provides lots of jobs paid at higher wages?!!! we have tourism...THAT is pretty much IT!

The housing boom was nothing more than an epidemic of greed which led to the bubble bursting the way it did and now we have all the articles being written about how poorly we rank!??? give me a break! It doesn't get more hypocritical than that!

Each state is different starting from the landscape and ending with types of jobs! You can't mix them all together because they don't all offer the same things! IF they did, THEN you can have a fair comparison as to how things are in Florida versus Delaware!!!!!!!!

The education here sucks mostly because people don't come to Florida, (or in the past, people who started coming to Florida) didn't come here to "study"!!!!!!!! they came here to vacation and have a good time...which is why they should change the came from the "Sunshine State" to "Vacation State"..........
NOW, These days people who entertain the idea of moving here are also concerned with the education being offered here....which is great, however, the people who ALREADY live here should be more pushy towards Florida's Gov in order to shake them up a bit and put some money in schools and have some more strict policies around, so that kids here can also benefit from good teachers who also apply themselves to teaching, because if only the kids apply themselves, that again is NOT sufficient, if the teachers go to school to see who they'll sleep next instead of carrying about who really didn't understand something and explain again....it is STILL all for nothing! It is a vicious circle: Starts at home with the parents, goes to the kids but then goes to the teachers and round and round it goes! If all the above don't apply themselves and care about what they do.....Nothing will ever change!

The criteria used for these lists is so shallow and uninformed it's not funny, I almost want to write a letter to these people and explain that their lists are worth nothing, but somehow manage to hurt different areas rather than do any good or actually offering people pertinent information on an area......this is someone sitting on a cubicle in NY browsing the web and finding message boards and judge by that, these people probably never set foot in Tampa in their lives!...if they really want to compare something, at least find similar things to compare......you know like if you go to Canon's website and you can compare different cameras..........these lists compare apples and oranges literally since none of the stuff they use to create these lists it pertinent to another area even!

How can you compare Boston to Tampa??? there are NO similarities what so ever except that the people there look like the people who live here, have the same head, eyes, ears etc. etc.......other than that! nothing else can be compared!

Media these days is out to misinform people....it is BIASED to NO END which drives me NUTS....they are worthless!

 
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 AM
 
5 posts, read 9,271 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Another skewed ranking. What does a school hundreds of miles away in the same state have to do with the school my kids go to?

Besides the fact that Florida is not at the bottom over the last few years in rankings that are done by educators and not magazines.

There are also I believe 9 Florida H.S.'s in the top 100 rankings, 3 of those in the top 11. That would be the top 100 in the nation.
I wasn't necessarily referring to your kid's school. It was implying FL on avg from the data I saw. The study that I most recently looked at was comparing a few things: Graduation rate, test scores, % of graduates who went on to 4-Yr Universities, and reported school crime.

My point is that none of it really matters too much to me, apart that I am taxed for public schools. With private schools I have more control/choice over my child's education. To me, the tuition (whatever the cost) is very much worth having some input into what my kid is being taught as opposed to what the state deems appropriate.

Last edited by 41ants; 09-18-2009 at 06:00 AM..
 
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 18,549,614 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
But how can you really compare Tampa's Industries with California for example? or other states?

Ranks in what? what exactly it is being compared here!?? because the mass unemployment here started when the housing bubble exploded! before that if you dig up articles from 2005, 2006 they say something completely different! what is Florida known for exactly? we don't have auto industry here, we don't build planes, or have miles of wineries...or anything else that provides lots of jobs paid at higher wages?!!! we have tourism...THAT is pretty much IT!

The housing boom was nothing more than an epidemic of greed which led to the bubble bursting the way it did and now we have all the articles being written about how poorly we rank!??? give me a break! It doesn't get more hypocritical than that!

Each state is different starting from the landscape and ending with types of jobs! You can't mix them all together because they don't all offer the same things! IF they did, THEN you can have a fair comparison as to how things are in Florida versus Delaware!!!!!!!!

The education here sucks mostly because people don't come to Florida, (or in the past, people who started coming to Florida) didn't come here to "study"!!!!!!!! they came here to vacation and have a good time...which is why they should change the came from the "Sunshine State" to "Vacation State"..........
NOW, These days people who entertain the idea of moving here are also concerned with the education being offered here....which is great, however, the people who ALREADY live here should be more pushy towards Florida's Gov in order to shake them up a bit and put some money in schools and have some more strict policies around, so that kids here can also benefit from good teachers who also apply themselves to teaching, because if only the kids apply themselves, that again is NOT sufficient, if the teachers go to school to see who they'll sleep next instead of carrying about who really didn't understand something and explain again....it is STILL all for nothing! It is a vicious circle: Starts at home with the parents, goes to the kids but then goes to the teachers and round and round it goes! If all the above don't apply themselves and care about what they do.....Nothing will ever change!

The criteria used for these lists is so shallow and uninformed it's not funny, I almost want to write a letter to these people and explain that their lists are worth nothing, but somehow manage to hurt different areas rather than do any good or actually offering people pertinent information on an area......this is someone sitting on a cubicle in NY browsing the web and finding message boards and judge by that, these people probably never set foot in Tampa in their lives!...if they really want to compare something, at least find similar things to compare......you know like if you go to Canon's website and you can compare different cameras..........these lists compare apples and oranges literally since none of the stuff they use to create these lists it pertinent to another area even!

How can you compare Boston to Tampa??? there are NO similarities what so ever except that the people there look like the people who live here, have the same head, eyes, ears etc. etc.......other than that! nothing else can be compared!

Media these days is out to misinform people....it is BIASED to NO END which drives me NUTS....they are worthless!

Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Eaton Corporation, Raytheon and Aerosonic in the aviation field along with aerospace. The 4th largest optics and photonics cluster in the country. Electonic Arts, the company that makes Madden video games is here. The Tampa area is 20th in the country for domestic financial services companies. The high tech corridor employs over 33,000 people with a payroll of over $2 Billion in IT industries. Then we also have life sciences and medical technology companies, 220 microelectronics and nanotechnology-related businesses. Also MS&T companies which employ over 36,000 people with a payroll over $2.1 Billion.

Mind you this is just in the high tech corridor which is the middle of the state, it does not include north or south Florida.

Yes, we are heavy in tourism and construction but anyone that says there is no other industry is ridiculously out of touch.

Education was touched on a few posts back so I am not going to get into that.

Yes, anyone that relies on the mainstream media and actually believes it really doesn't know what is going on, in my opinion.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,128,394 times
Reputation: 2141
Ok, "I" know that, but the general idea that people from Out of State have is that they come to Florida for Disney and beaches.......not looking for Lockheed!
I am curious to know why is it ignored when talking about Tampa in the media in general!? I am sure these industries have a lot of accomplishments and yet they never seem to make Yahoo's front page for example!??? also why all eyes are on the construction industry is beyond me, unless it is ONE MORE BIASED thing they are clinging on? drama, drama, drama....

I even know where Lockheed is........

I think they assume that "most people" that live here also came here by boat and know nothing other than janitorial services!!!! if they USE THAT as criteria for ranking then it is even worst than I thought! OY!
 
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,128,394 times
Reputation: 2141
Default Graduation Rate in Tampa:

Graduation Rate in Tampa: What is THAT based on? since what I mostly hear is that in Tampa/FL in general, schools concentrate on tests and not actually learning anything else other than what is on those tests... which I hear is just general basic information and nothing of real substance like at least knowing what D.C stands for!??

Now IF all kids that don't graduate failed those tests, for that reason only and none other, ...I'm thinking that it really has nothing to do with the school budget...because it is not the "dollar bill itself" who is going to tell my child where Bangladesh is......it is the TEACHER! and in that case I am not going to blame the "no budget" on the bad school, I will blame the poorly trained teachers that can't come up with a coherent curriculum!!!! we learned ALL of the Globe, continents, countries etc in 4th grade! later we learned "about them" but first we learned that my country or city wasn't the only one in the universe!

I'm thinking that a school can have billions of dollars pored into it and it will all be for nothing if the teachers are stupid and unqualified! I think THAT should be thoroughly revised before crying "we have no money"!!!
 
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
 
26,753 posts, read 41,136,683 times
Reputation: 14894
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Graduation Rate in Tampa: What is THAT based on? since what I mostly hear is that in Tampa/FL in general, schools concentrate on tests and not actually learning anything else other than what is on those tests... which I hear is just general basic information and nothing of real substance like at least knowing what D.C stands for!??

Now IF all kids that don't graduate failed those tests, for that reason only and none other, ...I'm thinking that it really has nothing to do with the school budget...because it is not the "dollar bill itself" who is going to tell my child where Bangladesh is......it is the TEACHER! and in that case I am not going to blame the "no budget" on the bad school, I will blame the poorly trained teachers that can't come up with a coherent curriculum!!!! we learned ALL of the Globe, continents, countries etc in 4th grade! later we learned "about them" but first we learned that my country or city wasn't the only one in the universe!

I'm thinking that a school can have billions of dollars pored into it and it will all be for nothing if the teachers are stupid and unqualified! I think THAT should be thoroughly revised before crying "we have no money"!!!
Maybe it is just local, my kid is doing AP Human Geography now as a freshman and is learning all the countries all over the world...seas, mountains, rivers, etc... and he is in a normal public school and I'm very happy with his school!. We are from the netherlands where the school levels are pretty high and so far we have no complains other than we didn't have great experiences with private schools, since they can hide behind all kind of things, which public school can't!

Our oldest graduated at the age of 15 over here after being in school here for the last 5 years, and before being in school in Europe where she already skipped a year...so I know we have been blessed with kids who can learn pretty well and I'm aware that not every kid has that gift, but they have others that mine don't have.
Over here they have teachers who do such a great work (in the same schools as the other kids) with kids with autism...in Europe they are put away in special schools and they don't have the chance to interact with other kids like over here...specially for the ones who don't have a severe case of autism. These teachers should receive a medal, just other teachers who are put up with parents who never blame their own kids, but it is always the other kid, doing things and with kids who are so difficult and only in school to try to do the least as possible!
 
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Location: HOTHellHoleCalledFL
205 posts, read 926,390 times
Reputation: 82
Default Totally Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
^^^"Popular" is different than "best places to live"...

If you also notice, Orlando is ranked #4 - they mention the number of sunny days and Disney. Not exactly criterion for best places to live, in my opinion.


"Popular" is A LOT different than "best" place to live - the "popular" list is based on people wanting/actually moving here, etc...not based on what it is actually like to live here.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 18,549,614 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
"Popular" is A LOT different than "best" place to live - the "popular" list is based on people wanting/actually moving here, etc...not based on what it is actually like to live here.
Yes, we realize that people always want to move to the worst places.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
 
5,981 posts, read 14,537,433 times
Reputation: 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes, we realize that people always want to move to the worst places.
There is a LARGE contingent of weather-trumps-all people in the world. Many of them set their sights on FL, based on their real or perceived notions of what FL's weather is like. They disregard variables like pay levels, education, infrastructure, cultural activities, crime, etc. to live in the "sunshine". Some find FL not to be the paradise they imagined (see many posts on this site) and leave or stay and complain. Many others are satisfied and wind up staying. What's the BEST place for my family may not be the best place for your family and visa versa.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 18,549,614 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
There is a LARGE contingent of weather-trumps-all people in the world. Many of them set their sights on FL, based on their real or perceived notions of what FL's weather is like. They disregard variables like pay levels, education, infrastructure, cultural activities, crime, etc. to live in the "sunshine". Some find FL not to be the paradise they imagined (see many posts on this site) and leave or stay and complain. Many others are satisfied and wind up staying. What's the BEST place for my family may not be the best place for your family and visa versa.
Florida's population has increased by about 2.5 million people in the last 8 years. That is just the recent increases.

While they may be some that move here only for the weather I highly doubt it is that large a percentage.

If Florida was as terrible as portray it to be I think after a little while the word would have gotten out and the influx would have stopped many years back.

I never stated Florida is for everyone, I don't pump it up as something it isn't.
But I also hate when other come spouting about how terrible the pay, schools, etc. are when it is not close to what they make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top