Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
"Popular" is A LOT different than "best" place to live - the "popular" list is based on people wanting/actually moving here, etc...not based on what it is actually like to live here.
Amen. The people of Florida have never and will never make education a top priority- they're too cheap. Florida has ranked at or near the bottom in high school graduations for years and will continue to do so. I wish those who are doing it would stop with the "It's always the parents fault" argument-it's simplistic, insulting and false.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Amen. The people of Florida have never and will never make education a top priority- they're too cheap. Florida has ranked at or near the bottom in high school graduations for years and will continue to do so. I wish those who are doing it would stop with the "It's always the parents fault" argument-it's simplistic, insulting and false.
It was just in TBO about a month ago, FL came in at #45 out of the 50 states in students finishing HS.

The HS graduation in rate in FL was at 57% in 2009.

It is a known fact that education in this state is not good or a top priority. Just because a handful of schools make on to some Top 100 schools in the US doesn't help the rest of the state.

You have a lot of elderly retired people who have no interest in the educational system as their kids are grown. Then you have a "subculture" of people like you find in places like Polk County who have NO interest in getting an education.

This recent study was based on education and the local economy, it wasn't based on the beaches or amusement parks.

JMO, I think the reason FL remains so backwards and reactive compared to most of the rest of the country, is for some residents it is easier to pretend these issues don't exist.

They would rather focus on saying there are 9 schools here that were rated very high, and not address the hundreds of schools that are poorly rated.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:47 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
It does become the parent's fault when the kid is ranking toward the bottom of a bottom ranking school, however. With option to work with tutors, taking the time for your kid to work with them, staying after school to work with teachers or peer study groups, etc. - the weight of that responsibility falls on the parent's shoulders to step in and take care of those arrangements. My son graduated one year early from High School last year. A parent's intervention, participation and guidance is crucial to a child's success. Any parent who says that its insulting, false and simplistic. . well, let's just say that speaks for itself.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:47 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
If there is no parental guidance then who is supposed to teach these kids anything? why have kids in the first place if you're planning on dumping them on the teachers / (system) and have sky high unrealistic expectations? I do agree with seain dublin that some people are either too old or too uneducated themselves to give a rats a** on education! and that will continue to ruin it for everyone else...

Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
There is a LARGE contingent of weather-trumps-all people in the world. Many of them set their sights on FL, based on their real or perceived notions of what FL's weather is like. They disregard variables like pay levels, education, infrastructure, cultural activities, crime, etc. to live in the "sunshine". Some find FL not to be the paradise they imagined (see many posts on this site) and leave or stay and complain. Many others are satisfied and wind up staying. What's the BEST place for my family may not be the best place for your family and visa versa.

Very good post. I have talked to so many people who have moved here without a solid plan(and many post threads here about doing the same thing). And have said they made a big mistake.

They end up here making little moiney and just scraping by, they can't even save enough to put together a plan to relocate.

I have had two very nice guys come out from Brighthouse at different times, one for cable and one for internet, same exact story.

Both are contract workers(so no benefits)making about $10 an hour and both left good paying jobs in the NE. These are guys in their 40s and 50s, not a time in your life when you want to be struggling.

Yet these people still come on here and post I want to move but I don't have a job, should I do it......LOL.

Unless you have money, a retired with money, or can transfer or have a job waiting for you in the same salary range, I don't understand why someone would come here and put themselves in a bad financial position.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,838 times
Maybe one reason FL has 3 cities in the bottom 6 or 7 could be because of crime. I watch America's Most Wanted a lot. The state of FL is almost always mentioned. Fugitives on the run, someone kills someone in Newark, and guess where they try to hide? Florida! I was watching it tonight and two hispanic males are wanted for killing someone in Boynton Bch FL. And then, a guy in Tampa (a crazy pervert)........ and I'm not even going to get into the story because it's disgusting, is on the loose... he's from NYC, so he might be there or might be in FL still. Who knows.

But I think crime and the attempted kidnappings, etc... all play a big role in raising children. And I'm a FL native, but this state has way too many of these types of incidents. And also criminals come down here to hide out, making it much worse.

So I went to America's Most Wanted website, to check it out and see how many fugitives FL has on the run... and FL has as many fugitives as other neighboring states NC, SC, and GA combined.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
I grew up in the Bay Area mostly on the eastern side of Tampa and Hillsborough County from the age of 3 until I was 17.

That said, I would never raise my kids in the Tampa Bay area or any part of Florida for that matter.

The education sucks. Theres nothing else I can say for that. The crime is out of control and not just the everyday variety but the weird crimes that make the news and the crazy high numbers of child perverts that frequent the state.

If it's not enough that I can't let my child play outside in Florida for fear of them being kidnapped it's a fear of sun related illness like cancer for example. I've been to various places in the Mid West and would say that they may be boring places to live but they offer the best quality of life. There are parts of the South East that also offer a great quality of life like areas in all of the Southern States. I'm happy to have my son in a great schools 10 rated school here in Middle Tennessee. I'm happy to have four seasons, changing leaves for halloween, snow for christmas, lush green springs and non-horrible heat for the summer.

IMHO, Beaches, year-round warm weather, and a huge population are turn offs at my age ( and I'm 26 ! ) I would rather live in the middle of a corn field somewhere knowing my family has a great life then living by the beach knowing that my kids could be kidnapped and/or get a horrible education.

My $.02

Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I grew up in the Bay Area mostly on the eastern side of Tampa and Hillsborough County from the age of 3 until I was 17.

If it's not enough that I can't let my child play outside in Florida for fear of them being kidnapped it's a fear of sun related illness like cancer for example. I've been to various places in the Mid West and would say that they may be boring places to live but they offer the best quality of life. There are parts of the South East that also offer a great quality of life like areas in all of the Southern States. I'm happy to have my son in a great schools 10 rated school here in Middle Tennessee. I'm happy to have four seasons, changing leaves for halloween, snow for christmas, lush green springs and non-horrible heat for the summer.

My $.02
To me this part is non sense! Just take the latest case of kidnapping that made head lines and happened 18 years ago "Jaycee Lee Dugard"...didn't happen in Fl.

Casey Anthony case is a sick mom who probably killed her own child...Haley Cummings, well it seems the step mother might be involved...

How many kidnapping were there over here that made the percentage go up so high? maybe you can show proof.

Most people know that no where you can leave you kids play outside without anybody watching, that isn't anything special here...

I know CA and Fl. have the highest rates of sex offenders and home less people due to the nice weather. Sex offenders move here because many can't get a job anymore and loose everything (which I don't mind, since they should stay off our children) and than rather live outside in Fl than in NY when it is getting cold...

Some people have stated that in some places it is still safe to let their kids play outside...you hear it all the time when a child is missing and found dead..."this never happened over here"...very very sad, the world isn't safe anymore for kids to go out and play by them self.

To the person who is stating that parents shouldn't be to blame because of the bad schools...that is so naive! Why are many great students coming from FL school and others just fail. You can't say all school are bad or all parents are bad, or all kids...but parents who rather sit on the couch or hang out with their friends (often because they got kids at such a young age that they feel they missed something) instead of checking if their kids had home work, or supoort them to do better...well that is the parents fault and not the school!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 AM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I think people raise kids and a dump can be a place of comfort, many famous folks came from dumps, due to good parenting and lotsa love. Now Cities can make it conductive to children. The school bus situation if aful, the numbers of pedophiles in our area is..... the number of auto accidents is shocking and crime has gotten bad. The school system, maybe not be at all waht it could be. Tampa bay is growing inner sity status.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 AM

976 posts, read 1,110,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
To me this part is non sense! Just take the latest case of kidnapping that made head lines and happened 18 years ago "Jaycee Lee Dugard"...didn't happen in Fl.

Casey Anthony case is a sick mom who probably killed her own child...Haley Cummings, well it seems the step mother might be involved...

How many kidnapping were there over here that made the percentage go up so high? maybe you can show proof.

Most people know that no where you can leave you kids play outside without anybody watching, that isn't anything special here...

I know CA and Fl. have the highest rates of sex offenders and home less people due to the nice weather. Sex offenders move here because many can't get a job anymore and loose everything (which I don't mind, since they should stay off our children) and than rather live outside in Fl than in NY when it is getting cold...

Some people have stated that in some places it is still safe to let their kids play outside...you hear it all the time when a child is missing and found dead..."this never happened over here"...very very sad, the world isn't safe anymore for kids to go out and play by them self.

To the person who is stating that parents shouldn't be to blame because of the bad schools...that is so naive! Why are many great students coming from FL school and others just fail. You can't say all school are bad or all parents are bad, or all kids...but parents who rather sit on the couch or hang out with their friends (often because they got kids at such a young age that they feel they missed something) instead of checking if their kids had home work, or supoort them to do better...well that is the parents fault and not the school!

Oh come on... even Jeb Bush said that kids are vulnerable in FL. Look at all the cases, especially the last 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay