U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 PM

205 posts, read 926,008 times

Advertisements

Think I am just cynical? Check out Childrens Health Magazine - Tampa is ranked #94 on a scale of 1 to 100 (100 being the worst). Oralndo and Miami aren't far behind ranking 98 and 99 I believe.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,122,591 times
Miami is the worst NOT Tampa! HEHE

I want to know what the criteria was? You didn't put a link and I can't find it...?

Actually what I have found as far as my kids are concerned is that we do have several entertainment venues around....Tampa is in Florida, so climate wise, landscape wise, it is all the same regardless of where you live.
Most schools suck, but if you dig deep enough you CAN find a good option....however, MY take on the schools is that if there is no parent involvement nor a child applies him/herself the school can be top notch and even private and it is ALL FOR NOTHING!

Now I am going to start to sound like Tampaguy....we have Disney 45 minutes away, beautiful beaches, if we want mountains we can shoot up 75 and be in Georgia in some hours......

I am not sure what their criteria was as I said before, but something to remember is: "You live by your own standards!" you don't have standards, or you don't set any, then you would probably end up miserable regardless of the city you're in!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,645,110 times
No, you are not cynical - just shows that you really DO need a change from Florida, as your name implies. When you can only pick out the negative and ugly, it's time to go!

Heh - OK. . . We've lived in these 3 specific cities listed in a row - and my son has turned out wonderfully. Graduated a year early from High School and is Pre-Med. No arrests. No mental problems. No past or current drug issues - like most would "expect" from kids growing up in these areas.

Detroit, Michigan ranks as the worst place in America to raise a family followed
by Miami, Florida (99), Orlando, Florida (98), Memphis, Tennessee (97), Fresno,
California (96), Cleveland, Ohio (95), Tampa, Florida (94), Phoenix, Arizona
(93), Las Vegas, Nevada (92)
and Toledo, Ohio (91).

The list is utter mish-mosh.

Need help packing? Have bubble wrap!

--------------------------------------------

Here are the links since the OP did not include it:

Children`s Health Magazine Reveals America`s 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family | Reuters

and

Children's Health Magazine : Parents : The 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family

Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 AM

I think you can make a nice living for yourself and your family if you're on top of it......in any city.....I am not buying these lists because they usually refer to the "high standards" that the middle Joe cannot afford! Thanks to the system itself! so, I don't think it is fair to compare when the system is not even for everyone! At any salary level.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,583,567 times
Well, they didn't ask for my vote. I raised a daughter here and she's raising two sons. They love outdoor life and so do I!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,848,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Well, they didn't ask for my vote. I raised a daughter here and she's raising two sons. They love outdoor life and so do I!
Exactly. These 'lists' are about worth the page that they're printed on. I have close friends that live on Davis Islands and their kids are thriving.
Here's an idea: instead of reading a magazine, how about actually asking the people that live there what their experience has been?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 AM

26,747 posts, read 41,095,249 times
I wasn't asked either...and to me it all depends in what part of any Town, City you live....every place has their good, bad and ugly places...

What was the criterium? Which age group was interviewed, people with or without kids, etc...

The same counts to me with school ratings...My kids did very well in school and are still doing great. If you incl. kids who hardly do any homework, don't pay attention or sjip school and just go by test results...that is to me not a fair way of rating, but I understand they have to it one way or another...

If your kids end up with a scholarship in a good College and end up with a nice job...IMO it doens't matter what school you have been in or in what neighborhood you have lived at...

Look at Obama and his wife...they claim to come from not the best backgrounds and made it all theway to the top...You might just like me not agree with him, but he at least show you can live the American dream, from whatever neighborhood you come from!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,645,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I think you can make a nice living for yourself and your family if you're on top of it......in any city.....I am not buying these lists because they usually refer to the "high standards" that the middle Joe cannot afford! Thanks to the system itself! so, I don't think it is fair to compare when the system is not even for everyone! At any salary level.
Not only that - but most of all, what it comes down to is "the parent's." Be there for your kids - do not allow them to raise themselves, do not be afraid to be a "parent" - concern yourself less with being a "friend," do right - instill morals, values, upward mobility, love them, educate them, listen to them [and not just "hear" them], talk with them, implant a foundation of faith be it in God or a door knob, feed their faith in themselves - be a role model, teach your kids right from wrong - discipline/consequence and reward/positive reinforcement, teach them structure and responsibility to the best that one is able. . . if parent's do this - does not matter where in the world "home" is called. My dollar's worth. [[inflation, ya know]]

As the old saying goes, "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."

Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Not only that - but most of all, what it comes down to is "the parent's." Be there for your kids - do not allow them to raise themselves, do not be afraid to be a "parent" - concern yourself less with being a "friend," do right - instill morals, values, upward mobility, love them, educate them, listen to them [and not just "hear" them], talk with them, implant a foundation of faith be it in God or a door knob, feed their faith in themselves - be a role model, teach your kids right from wrong - discipline/consequence and reward/positive reinforcement, teach them structure and responsibility to the best that one is able. . . if parent's do this - does not matter where in the world "home" is called. My dollar's worth. [[inflation, ya know]]

As the old saying goes, "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."

JeepGirl118: Couldn't agree more..................

Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM

428 posts, read 1,354,704 times
A couple years ago St. Pete was rated one of the best cities in the SOuth for raising a family by another magazine- it's all relative I guess. It looks like St. Pete came in at #78 in this survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or