Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 06:16 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what to make of it yet.........on one hand we are all on computers
these days, but to eliminate this from schools I think it is a bit too
much...what do you guys think?

Cursive writing may be fading skill, but so what? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_us/us_cursive_angst - broken link)

I am wondering when it will hit us here in Tampa (or FL for that matter)

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
I am not sure how I feel about that. My daughter (5th grade) is suppose to write only in script. She learned script last year. My older daughter learned script in 3rd grade in NJ, but really does not use it. Realistically, is it that important to know script? The article said it is a lost culture. So what, IMO? It also mentioned that script teaches them muscle control and hand-eye coordination. I am sure there are other ways we use muscle control and hand-eye coordination. In a hundred years from now we will still be able to pick up a dropped bead or sew a button on.

I just don't see the big deal in it. What is your thinking?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Well, I am not sure WHAT to think about it yet.....as my kids are starting school now...When I went to school back in Europe we started learning to write the letters/numbers in 1st grade and by the end we could write a few things..............now in my case for the last 10 years I've been typing all day and IT seems as I am getting faster and faster (LOLOLOLOLOLOL) but I am not sure I would feel comfortable knowing that my kids can't write manually for a change.....my daughter can already write her name with her hands, all tho she has been on the computer since 2 1/2 ..........?

When I first read this yesterday I laughed at first, because I got the image in my head of a teacher teaching my kids how to type with their thumbs on a Blackberry!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

So,.......yes in our daily lives now we do type on a keyboard a lot more often, but I still think they should be able to write with a pen too....I am not thinking necessarily about the hand-eye coordination here as I know a million other ways to accomplish THAT.......but more so for cultural/educational aspect.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
My concern would be for when a signiture is needed on an official document. Plain writing is also easier to forge. I can't believe that we as a society are getting so lazy to justify the loss of cursive writing. Before you know it no one will know how to use a pen! And what the heck is a pencil?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
My concern would be for when a signiture is needed on an official document. Plain writing is also easier to forge. I can't believe that we as a society are getting so lazy to justify the loss of cursive writing. Before you know it no one will know how to use a pen! And what the heck is a pencil?
And by the time writing is completely obsolete biometrics will be the norm for endorsing anything official.

I still remember 12th grade creative writing... teacher insisted we write in cursive as that was the "proper" way to write. She had to get all the cursive letters from a 2nd grade teacher friend of hers and post them around the room so I could remember what the darn letters were.

The world underwent a giagantic transformation when writing started. But as always, it has been written communication that was the key to it. It was never how it was written, in what language, or with what penmanship... it was simply that knowledge could be passed along to generations that couldn't be directly spoken to. This allowed knowledge to pass faster and further and stopped a cycle of reinventing the wheel. Cursive was invented at some point and as with most things will die at some point. Currently, it appears that death is imminent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay