Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM

58 posts, read 147,859 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Hopefully there are a couple public school teachers in this area who check out this forum. If you could answer a couple questions for me, that would be great!

-Approximately, how much is your current salary? Just teacher (non-administrative) salary, no extras (like coaching sports).
-Approximately, how much was your starting salary?
-What type of degree did you get hired with? Were you required to get an advanced degree (like a master's) to keep your job?
-Do you like the job? What subject and grade-level do you teach?

Thank you! I know I could go to a school district with these questions, but I'd rather hear it from real teachers, not the sugar-coated answers a school district may give. I also know there are salary sites on the internet, but those may be inflated (for example, they may include high paying administrators salaries which inflate the salary number).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:15 PM

238 posts, read 668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyice View Post
Hello,

Hopefully there are a couple public school teachers in this area who check out this forum. If you could answer a couple questions for me, that would be great!

-Approximately, how much is your current salary? Just teacher (non-administrative) salary, no extras (like coaching sports).
-What type of degree did you get hired with? Were you required to get an advanced degree (like a master's) to keep your job?

Thank you! I know I could go to a school district with these questions, but I'd rather hear it from real teachers, not the sugar-coated answers a school district may give. I also know there are salary sites on the internet, but those may be inflated (for example, they may include high paying administrators salaries which inflate the salary number).
well i can try to give my husbands
ESE high school/ loves it
10 years experience
masters in education
Polk county Schools
46,000 plus benefits paid
you do not need to get a higher degree to keep your job, in fact with the RTTT obama has told teachers their higher degrees are meaningless but you must push the kids to want higher degrees WTH???

Last edited by spotrod; 08-08-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 08-08-2010, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,822 times
Cool Need help w/procedures of Hillsborough schools

Hi everyone. I posted my question on my own thread but was unsuccessful in getting responses.I am in NY now and both my husband and I want to move ot Tampa.The only thing making me a little scared is what I was told about education positions, but if I could get some clarification from an educator, it would really help me!

1-I am a School Counselor. Passed the Hillsborough screening, have my FL certificate and am ready to find a job if necessary (even been offered 2 jobs). I am just not thrilled about how the system works.

They explained to me my position is guaranteed for a school year but then my job goes into a "pool" and if someone with more seniority wants my position (for whatever reason of being closer to his or her home, etc), they can take it and then I am put into a pool and I have to apply to another school. So, lets say I get offered a job in Brandon and I relocate and move to brandon, the following year my job may go bye-bye and I'd have to look for another open position in another school and risk a further commute. Can any educators clarify/agree with what I am saying or correct if I am wrong?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM

161 posts, read 450,350 times
Hockeyice,

I'm giving you the Pinellas info

1) Depends on years and degree
2) Most start at around 36k a year with a bachlors degree.
3) Most teachers are hired in with a bachlors degree. There is no need to get an advanced degree... except that you will be paid more per year every year.
4) I am not a teacher, but everyone I know enjoys the job very much... try to go for the magnet school positions.

More jobs are expected to be put out for Pinellas here very shortly; I'd keep checking their site.

AMR20,

Welcome to Florida. I haven't heard about that particular problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if its true.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the answers!

I would like to hear more, especially if there are some Hillsborough County public school teachers on this site.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM

238 posts, read 668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR20 View Post
Hi everyone. I posted my question on my own thread but was unsuccessful in getting responses.I am in NY now and both my husband and I want to move ot Tampa.The only thing making me a little scared is what I was told about education positions, but if I could get some clarification from an educator, it would really help me!

1-I am a School Counselor. Passed the Hillsborough screening, have my FL certificate and am ready to find a job if necessary (even been offered 2 jobs). I am just not thrilled about how the system works.

They explained to me my position is guaranteed for a school year but then my job goes into a "pool" and if someone with more seniority wants my position (for whatever reason of being closer to his or her home, etc), they can take it and then I am put into a pool and I have to apply to another school. So, lets say I get offered a job in Brandon and I relocate and move to brandon, the following year my job may go bye-bye and I'd have to look for another open position in another school and risk a further commute. Can any educators clarify/agree with what I am saying or correct if I am wrong?
Not sure how it works for counselors... sorry! you could try Pasco Co

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 16,367 times
Quote:
Hello,

I have been teaching 14 years... going into my 3rd year of teaching in Florida. I had to pretty much start over when I got here. Not much from my previous teaching certificate in the other state was accepted in Florida. I was considered highly qualified (and trained) in reading in the other state. Not here. Wouldn't accept it. I was certified for General Special Ed, EH, LD, and ELem Ed in other state. Here... I can do elem ed position or just an inclusion ESE position. I'm not teaching reading despite the great deal of training I have in the area of reading. I do not have a masters in Reading. My masters is in Special Education (ESE here). My bach is in psychology and elem ed. My pay dropped when we moved here. I will be getting somewhere around 42-43 K this year. Taught inclusion in high school first 2 years here. Taught high school in the other state as well. Found that the population I was working with here are much less motivated and put in far less effort and their desire to be educated appears lacking. They say they go to school because the law and/or parents say they have to... but we can't make them do anything (they say) and they are right. They brag about Christmas treeing the FCAT (big state test). They brag about which stores they have ripped off recently and how they did it. I decided to try for a younger level since I am dual certified for ESE and ELem Ed. Accepted an Elem position (inclusion) and am hoping I can make a real difference at that level. I love teaching. But, if I had to do over again with the knowledge I now have, I probably would have pushed my Florida-born husband to not take the job transfer here despite the better weather and great outdoors activities that exist. For me, in my career, this has been a bit of a blow.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:55 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answers!

I would like to hear more, especially if there are some Hillsborough County public school teachers on this site.
I'm not sure about guidance counselors, but if you land a position at a school and you are a "contract" employee (meaning you're certified and the position you take is not temporary) you don't have to worry too much about the pool.

Basically what happens near the end of the school year is that units are estimated for the upcoming year. In other words, how many teachers will your school need in each grade level. If you're at the bottom of the list, which is based on time in the system, you could potentially be forced into the pool at the end of the year. In nearly every case you'll know well before the transfer period comes up if this is your situation.

If your unit is lost, you go into the pool. When a position you qualify for comes up in the pool, you have to take it or go to the end of the line, so to speak. The pool is based on seniority as well, so the people who have been in the system longest come up first.

This being said, before the pool comes up there is a period of time before the end of the school year known as a "transfer period." During this time principals can advertise openings they have to fill due to retirements, other transfers, etc. During this time you can apply and possibly interview for these positions. If you accept a position during the transfer period you're good for the upcoming school year.

With the class size reduction laws in place you're probably in good shape once you have a position. With the transfer period, a lot of people find positions elsewhere using their contacts to move between sites.

For the most part, once you're in, you're in. There are areas that are more volatile than others, but for the most part you'll be able to anticipate what's coming and be prepared.

RM

Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Is this true?

Housing Assistance

Quote:
The Teacher Next Door Program offers HUD-owned, single family homes to public and private school teachers at a 50% discount. To be eligible, teachers must be employed full-time and agree to make the home their sole residence for three years following the purchase. In addition, teachers must work in the area in which the home is located. For additional information visit the Teacher Next Door Website or contact Norman Jezzeny at 202-402-5545 or Linda Sullivan at 1-800-CALL-FHA, extension 2697.
Quote:
Equity Residential, in partnership with the Department of Education, created a program to reduce teachers' rent by providing 50% off your security deposit (up to $200 off) on approved credit. For more information call 800-410-7772 or visit Equity Apartments.
Where exactly are these houses located? If they are in good, decent areas, this sounds like a nice program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay