U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 48,782 times

Advertisements

i am trying to decide whether it's worth the extra expense to buy a house with a pool; i love swimming/pools but i don't know whether i love it enough to pay the extra costs every month for the next 20 years!

how much more do you pay in water/electric/etc with a pool home?

maybe i should wait and see if i find a house with no pool........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 48,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printjobstpa View Post
i am trying to decide whether it's worth the extra expense to buy a house with a pool; i love swimming/pools but i don't know whether i love it enough to pay the extra costs every month for the next 20 years!

hi my name its cb and the cost for a pool service its not much it depents how big it is/ and how duty it may get u know. I got my own pool business and the prices go from $25 and up just writte back if u have any question about pool thank u have a nice day

Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,118,961 times
It is not the pool who makes the biggest difference....it is HOW OLD the AC unit is...and how many appliances you have running, the fridge is one of the biggest suckers........we have a 4/2 with a large pool and pay $65 for the water and $250 for electric in the summer..........less in the winter.....

Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,343,270 times
An average pool 15x30 with a pump running 10 hours per day will add approximately $35-$40 per month in electricity costs. If you heat it with and electric heater then it will be much more. Older pool pumps are less efficient so they burn more power. Also, clogged filters make the pump strain so that too will push up the operating costs.

As for water...unless you have a leak, you may only add 75-100 gallons per month to compensate for evaporation. About the same as 3 medium length showers. If you are going to fill the pool from a completely empty state, contact your water company and let them know the approximate gallons of water you will be using. Public water is priced including sewer (which is the real cost) and most companies will bill you only for the water itself and not the sewer portion. It will cost about $20-$30 in water to fill the pool if they credit the sewer section of the bill.

On a hot august afternoon, the ability to dive into a cool pool makes all the yearly costs seem irrelevant

Nav

Old 09-23-2009, 05:49 PM

27 posts, read 140,028 times
The electric costs will not be the only ones, and you might as well think of it as another lawn to mow. You will have to pay for chlorine, sweep it, vacuum up the leaves, and clean the filter. In addition depending on the age of the pool you may have to repair it. There are some things you can do like hire a pool service to avoid all the chores or buy a self-piloted vacuum to get out of vacuuming/sweeping for $350+.

It's worth it to me because I have a young daughter and most kids LOVE the pool. Also parties are always more fun with a pool, even if you just sit there and dangle your feet in it.

Just be sure you want it.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,684,108 times
I always wanted to have a pool home but found a home w/ a nice community pool where someone else takes care of the maintenance. All I have to do is pay the HOA.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 PM

86 posts, read 392,666 times
I rented a home with a small pool in a caged area and thought it was the best idea I'd ever had....but when the electric bill kept coming in at $300/month (when the landlord told me it would be around $100/month) and water bill was $100-125, it wasn't long before I decided it was a horrible idea to have a pool. I live alone and I'm not an "energy sucker" by any means. I kept the AC around 80 in the house, so that shouldn't have contributed to the electric bill very much. The pool wasn't heated so I could only swim in it from May to October, so it was really a big energy sucking puddle in the winter months. I left that place as soon as I could because I couldn't take the endless bills because of that pool. Good luck to you if you have that kind of cash. Unfortunately in these times, I just couldn't spare that kind of money but others can. I agree with the previous poster. Community pools are great, as long as you go when they're not so crowded, unless you like the party scene. :-) Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printjobstpa View Post

How old is the house?

How energy efficient is the house overall?

Is the pool heated?

When I put a white metal roof on my St Pete house, I watched my electric bill fall over the next year. Roofing material and color matters.

Electricity is only one of the costs associated with a pool. In Pinellas, when you fill a pool you need to inform the water/sewage utility otherwise you will be double billed. The assumption is that water in = water out, so you would be billed for the water out of the tap and the same amount out the drain if you don't call and tell them.

Chemical cost should be relatively small.

The real question is, how much joy would a swimming pool add to your life? That's hard to put a price on.

G

Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 48,372 times
I have a 4/2 villa with a relatively large pool in davenport florida. I dont actually live there and only use it in the summer months. My water bill in the month of oct-nov 09 was in the region of $225 which is extremely high for a house that is not lived in and for a house which the sprinklers have been switched off back in Aug 09. I spoke the water company and they are saying that sometimes the electricity goes off and re-sets the irrigation system. Can anyone throw any light on this matter. from a desperate first time forum user.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM

126 posts, read 488,221 times
I agree that one of the biggest things you can do to cut down on your energy bill is to have an efficient AC unit.
We have a solar pool heater so the costs are up-front. I always heard that for a gas pool heater you pay $1 extra day, but that was 13 years ago.

We also have a pool service that costs $80 a month. That covers all maintenance and chemicals except for vacuuming.

We have a 2170 square foot home, and our electric bills in the summer have been $350+ a month recently (yikes!!) I keep it set on 74 or 73 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay