U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM

691 posts, read 2,135,315 times

Advertisements

Living in FL is like going to the zoo every day. I see a couple of gators a week, once I saw one running across the street, a big one. Scared me to death. Thank gosh I was in my car. I also see snakes pretty often, one looked like a worm, except when it moved, it was definitely a snake, and it was black, I see alot of small black snakes. Mostly though, just lizards, one was a huge thing, looked like a toad with a curly tail. Then, there are the bugs...palmetto bugs. MF cockroaches, HUGE things, you think that they escaped from a nuclear lab gone crazy. Also, lots of homeless cats here, they seem to be doing okay though, better than homeless cats I see in other places. Must be plenty for them to eat. I also see quite a few rabbits. That is about it on the wildlife that I see. A while ago, I saw a wild boar.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,125,489 times
Then why even consider moving here? You have to understand that there are a lot of people out there who will get the wrong impression about Tampa when posting "phobias" like this one!? That is YOUR problem, there are over 300,000+ people living JUST within Tampa's City Limits, this is NOT counting any of the suburbs or surrounding little towns.....do you think these people would live here if the "snake" situation was THAT BAD!???????????

Yes we do have wild life around, but I am not sure which one is more scarier, seeing a snake once in a blue moon, or a big a** bear!!!!!!!!! Ohh and by the way, don't move to Orlando/Longwood then because we actually have BEARS there as well!

Some sub-divisions were build over in the middle of nowhere, such as Wesley Chapel and many other new ones in Land O Lakes, Ruskin, Gibsonton, etc "we, the people" built over wild life lands........this is their natural habitat.......if you don't want a pool enclosure then move to Arizona but be sure to ask about their scorpions!

Every part of the US has it's own flora/fauna and if you can't handle this then move to the middle east in the Sahara Desert!

Yeah...........cause Aligators just sit and wait for a jogger to come by...........!!!!!!!!!!! they are THAT smart!!!!!!!!!! give me a break!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,932,303 times
Keep in my mind the snakes are probably every bit as scared of you as you are of them. Just look at them as lizards without legs. I have a family of black racers that live in my back yard, I like having them around, it's like free pest control.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM

206,025 posts, read 79,569,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Then why even consider moving here? You have to understand that there are a lot of people out there who will get the wrong impression about Tampa when posting "phobias" like this one!? That is YOUR problem, there are over 300,000+ people living JUST within Tampa's City Limits, this is NOT counting any of the suburbs or surrounding little towns.....do you think these people would live here if the "snake" situation was THAT BAD!???????????

Yes we do have wild life around, but I am not sure which one is more scarier, seeing a snake once in a blue moon, or a big a** bear!!!!!!!!! Ohh and by the way, don't move to Orlando/Longwood then because we actually have BEARS there as well!

Some sub-divisions were build over in the middle of nowhere, such as Wesley Chapel and many other new ones in Land O Lakes, Ruskin, Gibsonton, etc "we, the people" built over wild life lands........this is their natural habitat.......if you don't want a pool enclosure then move to Arizona but be sure to ask about their scorpions!

Every part of the US has it's own flora/fauna and if you can't handle this then move to the middle east in the Sahara Desert!

Yeah...........cause Aligators just sit and wait for a jogger to come by...........!!!!!!!!!!! they are THAT smart!!!!!!!!!! give me a break!
Alligator attacks woman on banks of Sawgrass Lake - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/9/25/525431.html?title=Alligator+attacks+woman+on+banks +of+Sawgrass+Lake - broken link)

Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM

8,596 posts, read 17,169,161 times
You will see snakes, but they generally want as little to do with you as you want to do with them. I'm horribly snake-phobic and manage to deal with seeing them a couple of time a year well enough.

The only one you have to worry about at the pygmy rattlesnakes- they won't come chasing after you or anything, but they're more agressive than most and they like to hang out in shrubs and landscape plants. If you hire out a lawn service and look into the pots at the garden center before picking up plants, you will reduce your risk of having an unfortunate interaction with them by about 99.5% (and said interaction chance was already quite low to begin with)

Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Nomadicus.....so much for the dogs "LOVE" for the owner!........and you think the dogs weren't barking or anything of that sort!!!!!!!??? the alligator all on it's own went: "Hmmmm, That piece of woman looks really GOOD! let me have a bite"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, this stuff happens from time to time, in this case 3 YEARS,.....you don't want to come on this board and give an isolated incident as example for the rest of the people looking to move to an area, I could go out online and dig up attacks by bears in Wyoming!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy below crossed the street in my sub division......do you think that instead of stopping my car and allowing him to cross the street, I would have gotten out and see if I can pet him or feed him candy.....would still be typing this message?????????????????????????????????????

http://www.lalexandragiamanco.com/IMG00096.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM

180 posts, read 507,665 times
Algai....do you drink a lot of coffee?

Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 PM

No, ..........!

I just don't like it when people make it sound like (and say it literally too) that Florida is a Zoo!!!!! it is NOT....it gives people the wrong impression! I don't make a choice to live somewhere BY the animals who live in the surroundings areas;....... crime rates, job market, schools, history...etc........play a much bigger role, if you want to live FREE of ANY wildlife, and I mean FREE, then move to Bucharest, there are barely any birds flying in the city........You'll love it, no alligators, no love bugs, no snakes, no lizards, no wasps, no rats, nothing......

Old 09-25-2009, 04:09 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,906,251 times
OK... I think it is evident that there are snakes and other wildlife in Tampa Bay. If you are that afraid of snakes or gators then FL is probably not the place for you.

I lived 15 years in a subdivision and never saw a snake around my house or on my street, but that doesn't mean that they weren't there. I also lived on a lake in Odessa and there were snakes in the lake and even gators at one time.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM

206,025 posts, read 79,569,388 times
What remains to be seen is how far north the pythons will migrate out of the Everglades. At least the big ones will be easy to spot. 15 feet of snake at 400 pounds should be seen in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay