U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,890,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
What remains to be seen is how far north the pythons will migrate out of the Everglades. At least the big ones will be easy to spot. 15 feet of snake at 400 pounds should be seen in the dark.
I lived in Panama and some friends ran over what they thought was a log laying across the road. They turned around to move it out of the road. Only when they got back to the spot did they realize that there was no log since it was gone.. it was an anaconda.

OK.. back on topic.. Let 's hope they stay in the glades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 AM

180 posts, read 507,450 times
Oh yeah, a gator attack is just SOOO unlikely huh?

Alligator attacks, kills dog at apartment complex - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/9/29/527251.html?title=Alligator%20attacks%2C%20kills%2 0dog%20at%20apartment%20complex&cid=rss - broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Pye

67 posts, read 168,738 times
We're planning to move to the Gulf Coast in a year or so and all these snake/gator stories worry me because we have two large dogs we need to let run off the leash at least an hour a day.

We're in Europe so going into the forest to walk the dogs isn't a dangerous adventure: we run into deer and wild boar regularly, the dogs chase them a little, have a wonderful time and everybody (including deer and boar) get some exercise.

In Florida, is it feasible to take dogs out into the countryside/woods, etc., off leash so they can run where there are no risks of getting hit by a car - or are dangerous wildlife encounters too likely?

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM

180 posts, read 507,450 times
We talk about gators and snakes but they're really an irrational fear. Much like being eaten by a shark. The likelihood of being eaten by a shark or a gator is extremely low. More likely in Florida than Europe? Of course. But in all honesty it's not like it happens all the time or anything. It's very rare. Your dogs would be just fine running around.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,582,302 times
Our property backs up to a cypress head aka swamp. We see a couple of black snakes almost every month. Our lab likes to chase them.

I was going into a house for sale earlier this week and there at the front door was a 2 foot black snake. I jumped; it jumped higher than I did and quickly slithered away.

Buy a book on the Florida wildlife, educate yourself, and you and your pets will be just fine. If snakes & gators were that bad, no one else would live here either. It's been a long time ago, but the book I bought was titled, "Florida's Fabulous Reptiles and Amphibians" by Peter Carmichael.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 PM

463 posts, read 942,134 times
FL just happens to be a climate that is more adaptable for animals, so while there does tend to be more in the state, it's certainly not something that terrorizes us on a daily basis.

Statistically an attack by pretty much anything down here is very low (unless it's mosquitoes then you're screwed. )

I've seen snakes, coyotes, alligators, geckos, otters, eagles etc.. in many places, most of them in the woods.

Oh wait, I'm wrong, Love bug season is a killer....to my front fender.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,810 times
I am going to Orlando Florida for two weeks and staying i na villa with a fenced off pool. Am I more than likely going to see at least one snake while I'm there?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM

504 posts, read 651,094 times
Maybe if you go to Animal Kingdom....

Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM

494 posts, read 1,487,410 times
I understand and my wife feels the same way. I think if a snake saved her life she'd want to club it to death, but would be trembling and to afraid to get close enough to whack it. I've seen a lot of snakes in Florida. They exist.

The good news is that most all are harmless and just trying to exist. Do-gooders but I know that won't make you feel better.

I see them from time to time and they have been around our pool with a screen. My suggestion is that if you see one just go the other way and get a pal to deal with it. I catch them and drive them away and let them go in the woods. I've NEVER seen a poisonous snake in a neighborhood, but I'm sure other folks have. Once you get away from teh coast areas there are a lot more farms, ranches and woods.

If you live near woods the odds will go up. A new subdivision made by removing woods will still have various snakes and animals adapting or getting killed. You don't have to learn to like them, but I bet you can cope with the periodic sighting. I will say I never saw one living in a condo on the water. Just fleas! I'd take a few more snakes if somebody would eradicate the fleas.

Edit - Oh I just read Sumermarie's post - lovebugs. Now there's something to really dislike - squish.
Good luck

Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM

205,991 posts, read 79,532,271 times
'Well-Fed' Python Wrestles With Tarpon Springs Officers | TheLedger.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay