Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,537 times

Advertisements

So I've been exploring this forum for a week or so. A recruiter contacted me about a job in Tampa and as I know absolutely nothing about Florida, much less Tampa, I figured I would explore. I've looked into some housing prices, read your comments here, etc... and one thing has me terrified... SNAKES!

I'd likely get a home with a pool and I've read 3 mentions of snakes in people's pools. Please understand, I am scares ****less of snakes. There was a foot long gardner snake on the tennis court one time while I was trying to play tennis. I couldn't do it. I'm staring at the thing, freaking out, all the while thinking "it's only a foot long, you could squish it, it's irrational to be afraid of it" at the same time, my pulse is sky rocketing, adrenaline is flowing through my views and I'm freaking out... I can't imagine going outside for a dip in the evening and finding an 8 foot long snake in my pool. EIGHT FRICKIN FEET! I would sell my house on the spot, hell, I'd give it away!

So tell me... exactly what are y'all dealing with in Florida. Are the mentions I've found just freak occurences or is this a very real issue and thus a very real reason for me to take a pass on any potential interviews. Again, snakes don't just scare me, this is like a petrifying phobia of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM

180 posts, read 555,637 times
You cannot live here and not see a snake occasionally. So if it terrifies you that much either
1. Don't move here
2. Get a good therapist.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
I lived here in Florida for 8 years and saw 1 snake crossing the hwy!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to understand WHERE are these snakes people talk about? we lived in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and now Tampa and I have only seen 1!!!!!!! seriously! You make it sound like there is some sort of an invasion when it really isn't!

You'll love it here IF you have a JOB! I am thinking having a job these days is more important than if there were snakes everywhere! In that case they should evacuate Aspen because of the bears......!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
The only ones I ever see are the black racer snake, and only a few times a year at that. If it's any relief to you, they're harmless towards humans. I think they help keep the rodent population down.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,334 times
Wow, you better not move here, check this out!
Hybrid Man-Eating Pythons? Florida Is on Alert. - ABC News

This is for real! Better move to Alaska! Heck, I almost got killed yesterday by a snake, or was that a lawyer...just a bar joke.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM

27 posts, read 156,355 times
Anything that kills rats is ok in my book. Anyway, 99% of the snakes you see are non-poisonous, even more than that really. Maybe if you learn to identify poisonouos snakes you won't be afraid of the rest? There are only a few for any given area, so it is easy to memorize their appearance in both adult and juvenile form.

Things that will increase the amount of snakes you see is nearby water (lake/pool), lots of brush/gardens aroud your house, and time spent outside. So if you live in a condo with a pool that's maintained by the staff, you have nothing to worry about.

I live on a lake with a pool and I have one snake that I know lives in my front hedge because I see him right in front of my door once a month atleast (and then he runs), and I've seen more here and there. Haven't had a dead one in the pool since I was a child though, ad that was in Tallahassee. For a suburban home, mine is about as bad (if you don't like them) as it gets for seeing lots of snakes.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Snakes - I am really scared of them too

I have lived in Florida since middle school and I'm now a mom with 2 young adults. I have seen very few snakes. I am also petrified of them so I understand.

A lot of pools can be screened in so that would be something you would want. I also have our yard cut and cared for by a landscaper and they never see any.

I have always heard if you are closer to the beach, the fewer snakes you will see but I don't know if that's true or not

Old 09-23-2009, 06:51 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
"I have always heard if you are closer to the beach, the fewer snakes you will see but I don't know if that's true or not" maybe less snakes but maybe more lawyers, so guess thats a trade off.

common sense says you stand a greater chance of seeing one or more snakes in suburban florida than up north. if you fear them to the nth degree, then perhaps you should pass on the job. though you could always put your hat in the ring for the job, if you get an interview, check it out see how you like the area. another thing you might do is call animal control in the area, and ask them how often they have had to go out on...yikes, its a snake calls. by the way, i hate em too! good luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 AM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
You cannot live here and not see a snake occasionally. So if it terrifies you that much either
1. Don't move here
2. Get a good therapist.
Second this, if a phobia wold drive you to torpedo a career opportunity.

Fears and phobias are one of the things that can be handled very well in short term therapy. If I found myself shooting myself in the foot career-wise because I was afraid of something, I'd be calling a therapist quick. I have some fears, but my fears don't have me and are not going to define my life.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM

180 posts, read 555,637 times
When I lived in Wesley Chapel, I came out my front door one morning to a 4ft long cotton mouth on my porch. Not even 3 feet from the front door.
I've seen snakes scurrying around while walking down the sidewalk. I've also seen them while riding my bike.
So yeah, you don't have to live in a forest to see snakes but they're not that big of a deal. I'm more scared of a gator coming out of the pond while I jog by and pulling me under the water to certain death. But that's also not very likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay