Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,347 times

Advertisements

When we relocate to Florida, I will need to find a homeschool group for us to join. Does anyone on here homeschool? If not, is anyone on here aware of homeschool groups in your the Tampa area, mainly in Pasco and Hernando County?

Does anyone know what the homeschool regulations are in Florida?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
KMT

80 posts, read 355,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
When we relocate to Florida, I will need to find a homeschool group for us to join. Does anyone on here homeschool? If not, is anyone on here aware of homeschool groups in your the Tampa area, mainly in Pasco and Hernando County?

Does anyone know what the homeschool regulations are in Florida?

TIA!
We homeschool in Indian River County but it is the same all over the state. The only difference may be how often (if ever) the school district in Tampa audits your records.

All you do is notify the Superintendent of the district of your intent to homeschool (a simple form), maintain a portfolio, and have a certified teacher review your work and sign off that your child is progressing in a normal fashion for their age.

Turn in that document to the district and you're done for the year. You can read more about our law through the HSLDA website.

What state do you currently homeschool in?

Keith

Old 06-16-2006, 06:15 PM

Thanks Keith. I currently homeschool in KY which is one of the easier states to homeschool in, besides Texas. The area I live has a lot of homeschool families which is pretty surprising considering the size of our community (it is fairly small).

Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 PM
KMT

80 posts, read 355,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
Thanks Keith. I currently homeschool in KY which is one of the easier states to homeschool in, besides Texas. The area I live has a lot of homeschool families which is pretty surprising considering the size of our community (it is fairly small).
I think you will find Florida even easier. I have looked at Kentucky law and it seems more restrictive than Florida (not by much). I think it would be easier as a homeschooler to go "less restrictive."

Keith

Old 06-19-2006, 11:41 PM

24 posts, read 184,233 times
Default Florida Virtual Academy

Florida has a Public Homeschooling Program:

http://www.flva.org/dg/dg_fl.html?se...irtual_academy

http://www.flva.org/enroll/overview.html

Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,824 times
Hi Jewels36, We meet again! We have been homeschooling for 8 yrs., 7 of which were in FL. The laws there are tolerable as you probably have researched. Homeschool groups there are plentiful. Of course, you have your choice between Catolic, Protestant, etc... We have tried a number of them and I particularly liked the "unreligious" group I found in Palm Harbor. I found that the Catholic group (which I am) was a bit "too Catholic" and the Protestant group, though they are "all inclusive", spoke a lingo with which we we unfamiliar. Also, there are places like the Long Center in Clearwater that hold P.E. day once a week for homeschoolers. They get to swim, do archery, play ball, use the gym... It's really good social time for the kids. There are many groups and many styles. Some cater to park days and some to co op type of classes. Also the dual enrollment in college is a financial plus. I believe the state pays for that... It seems to me , that is a perk few states can boast. Oh, and don't forget to look for what the community offers. The Museum Of Science and Industry (MOSI) has a huge (and I mean thousands) homeschool day in August (I think) free for homeschooling families!!! There is a lot to be sought out. Good Luck to you.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Pioneer8 -

Thanks for the info. Is there a website of homeschool resources in the Tampa area that I can get contact info from?

Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 184,233 times
Default Previous reply

Not sure if you understood my previous post. The State of Florida has a virtual academy in the Public School system. You can now homeschool your children and it does not cost you anything for materials. They provide computer, books and everything else you need to teach your child at home. It has only been active since 2004. I believe it is a wonderful program. I signed my children up for this year, but I believe we will be in Alabama.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,824 times
Jewels36, I don't know off hand. The FPEA (Florida Parent Educator's Association) probably has one. I'm sure if you do a search, quite af ew will pop out at you. Don't forget Jon's Homeschool Resource page online. You can get phone numbers and contacts for the area. Happy Hunting!

Old 06-24-2006, 05:29 PM

imabeatleslover,

Thank you for your responses. I understood what you were trying to say. I use a religious affliated program through a private, accredited correspondence school and am very happy with it so I do not think I will be changing anytime soon. I appreciate the information though.

pioneer8,

Thanks for your info as well. I will look up both sites. I want to make sure we get involved with a homeschool group as soon as we get there so that my daughter can meet some friends. Most of her friends here seem to come from our homeschool group and her ballet school so I need to make sure that she gets involved in the same type groups once we move.

I have participated in groups that focused on co-op classes but after a while I found this type of group to be too burdensome. Many of the participants focused too much on the co-op classes. I just didn't have time to do this and keep up with our normal school schedule and activities. Since then I have joined a group that mostly takes field trips together and organizes play groups, picnics, etc. I think this type of group better fits our needs. My daughter is a very serious ballet dancer and dances several hours a week so I do not have time for a group that puts too many demands on its members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay