U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,779 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a potential move in January to the Tampa area. His work will be in the South Tampa area. We have a 2 year old and will have a 3 month old by then as well. We currently live in Oklahoma city area and have been researching various apartments/town home communities. Our biggest request other than convenience to work is the safety issue. Of course there are little things we would like as well but those are just icing on the cake. We are looking for 2bed 2bath (or 1 bed with a decent size den set-up would work since our kids are so tiny) up to $1300 a month is ideal, but for the right place we are willing to spend more. The South Tampa area and Brandon seem to have some fantastic places in that price range but since we are unable to actually see them we wanted to get a locals opinion. Below is a list of the interesting ones to us, and of course suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for any help you can give.

South Tampa - The Place, Seaport Channelside,???

Brandon- The Estates at Tuscany Ridge, The Addison, ????

Another one is Post Rocky Point but not sure what area that actually is in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,931,987 times
ONe of my best friends and his wife live in Post Rocky Point with there two little ones(1 year and 3 years), they LOVE it there, been there 5 years....it is just West of the Airport, very safe area as it is just an island that has a few office buildings, some condos, apartments and restaurants. ABout 15minutes to South Tampa area.

CHannelside is a new city neighborhood with about 10 condo/aprtment buildings and is adjacent to downtown Tampa...this area is also relatively safe, but the outskirts just to the north are a bit sketchy, its primarily used to be part of the Port, lots of warehouses, but have now turned it into a very nice city neighborhood..you will have all the amenities of the city(Channelside, Forum, Performing Arts, Museums, Riverwalk, Ybor City, restaurants, nightlife, movies, etc.) in your backyard, and is the quickest and most convenient to South Tampa area. The Place would be my pick to live in out of the two you mentioned, although Seaport is also nice.

Brandon is more suburban, families, strip malls, and is your longest commute to South Tampa for work(about 20-25 min).

Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 20,968 times
I do not recommend Tuscany Estates. I am living there now and have encountered fraudulent utility billing. I have enjoyed living in Brandon but there are many other apartment complexes to try.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM

86 posts, read 405,895 times
I also suggest Post Rocky Point. I was looking at moving there but the right apartment size did not come available when I needed it, and I ended up at the Retreat at Broadway Center in Brandon. Although the commute from the Retreat is much better to downtown (where I work), the place was great when I moved in, but it appears they have relaxed their standards and we now have gangs walking around at night, cars being broken into frequently, violent robberies (six in three months) and five cars stolen in three months. I don't recommend the northern area of Brandon near Seffner, but the southern area near Causeway Blvd and 301 is very nice. With two young children, I have to disagree with another poster on Channelside. It is great for young urbans, but not for families. There is very little area to take walks and is very sketchy at night. I wouldn't do it if I were you. I would highly recommend both Davis and Harbour Islands. Davis is more traditional housing and can be a little high on rent, just like Harbour, but there are some really nice townhomes that come available in both places that might appeal to you. A lot of townhomes on Harbour are gated and there is only one apartment complex (another Post property, so it's very nice as well), so you really can't lose over there. Harbour doesn't have a lot of walking areas that aren't concrete unless you're in a gated community and you walk around your community. It is near Channelside which can be a little bit fun if you want to eat out with your kids, but again, I wouldn't go there at night because it's a drunk fest, just like Ybor. Just my opinion on all of the above, but I hope it helps. Oh, Seminole Heights is trying to make a come back, however, it's still a bit rough, so I'd steer clear of that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay