U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 11,086 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to the Tampa Bay area. Our price limit is 250K-300K for a 3BR 2BA, but we would like to stay as far under that as possible. My husband and 3 children are all biracial. We need a very safe neighborhood with decent schools and lots of families and a decent mix of people. We don't like the "downtown" atmosphere, we prefer true neighborhoods with few busy streets (we live close to downtown with busy streets and its difficult with young children and we hate it). My husband can work pretty much everywhere, so that is not a factor.

We do not need to be in Tampa, but would like to be within 45 min of it. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look at? Street names would be great, as a lot of these neighborhoods are hard to find on the internet. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc_blp View Post
We are looking into moving to the Tampa Bay area. Our price limit is 250K-300K for a 3BR 2BA, but we would like to stay as far under that as possible. My husband and 3 children are all biracial. We need a very safe neighborhood with decent schools and lots of families and a decent mix of people. We don't like the "downtown" atmosphere, we prefer true neighborhoods with few busy streets (we live close to downtown with busy streets and its difficult with young children and we hate it). My husband can work pretty much everywhere, so that is not a factor.

We do not need to be in Tampa, but would like to be within 45 min of it. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look at? Street names would be great, as a lot of these neighborhoods are hard to find on the internet. Thanks!
My first thought was "try to find a racially "pure" neighborhood in Tampa." Biracial is not uncommon in the entire Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater metro area. This area is historically rich in Cuban heritage. Black/White, Hispanic/White, Black/Hispanic are probably the most common but there are lots of Asian and Pacific Island folk as well.

Commuting can be a bear in the Tampa area. Tell us where the job is and we can help you with neighborhoods to consider.

this bit of advice is the same one that I would give to anyone: Please don't move anywhere without having a job lined up.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,888,248 times
I agree we need to know where you will be working unless your DH doesn't mind driving an hour or more one way to work.

You won't have any problems being bi-racial.

Tell us more.. what else do you want..

Good schools, I assume
shopping ?
Entertainment?
New nabe or older nabe?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 22,026 times
check out North tampa near oldsmar. I live in a subdivision, near odessa and oldsmar but still IN tampa. Its safe and diverse..Im a senior in high school and white, and im a minority at my school.. tampa is VERY diverse, and no one really seems to care about race at all. Every now and then Ill get called a "white boy" by hispanics ahhaha, but usually its not really serious just joking around... I think lol. And besides the biracial girls are attractive.. but basically anywhere in tampa you will be accepted for your race.. i mean look around at florida... As far as schools go, FL sucks.. I had not so good grades at my last school in KS, and then i moved here and the schools here ARE EASY and move WAY SLOWER... which is awesome =)!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:08 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,484 times
How nice to hear from a student. My son is at a pretty 'white' school, but at the same time there is a lot of bi racial families in our area, also a few pacific/asians (ha we finally have Indian Food close by!) and we are very safe, close to beaches and I think welcoming.
Seminole/Largo (stick to Seminole for the schools - largo not so hot).
A bit of acommute to Tampa, but not terrible, I would say as bad to get from Brandon into Downtown Tampa as from Pinellas over bridge into downdown. Also lots of homes, not thrown up in the last 4 years with sloppy and dubious building materials/methods, in yourprice range. Older but still standing!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,086 times
We want an area where where we are not "on top" of our neighbors. We live in area on a city lot and hate it! We want to be in a "suburban looking" area, also in an area that does not have houses that are a hundred years old. An area with 50's concrete built homes or later would be the best.

My husband is a manager for Target, and they are pretty much everywhere (he can pretty easily transfer), and I work overnights (don't travel during rush hour), so the actual location doesn't matter as much for us as it does for most people.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,888,248 times
Really you can find a nice place in your price range. Tampa is very diverse so you can live anywhere, it is just a matter of where you and DH will be working

There are several Targets in Tampa and St. Pete. I wouldn't want to live in say 'Brandon' and have to go to TnC to work.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,484 times
Most of the older homes built in pre 70s are less crowded in. There was a bit more room then.
Truly you will have no problem finding a place. If you have family it's nice to be near the (free) beach!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:44 PM

32 posts, read 67,633 times
You may want to look at the Trinity area. Zip code 34655. Plenty of three and four bedroom homes $230k-$300K, safe, good schools, Three Targets very close (Mitchell, Boot Ranch and a Super Target in Lutz off 54). Many young professional families. 25 minutes to Tampa, 40 to downtown Tampa and St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or