U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM

839 posts, read 1,541,313 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't even get to this point where a law has to be passed to ban texting while driving. Unfortunately, this will help the drivers safety only a little. Most drivers in Florida and particularly the Tampa area need a drivers education/re-education course. With all the "Tampa tailgaters" you guys have even more frightening drivers than we do in Orlando(I never thought this would be possible).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM

26,863 posts, read 41,940,660 times
Yesterday I saw and had something very scary...A huge truck was almost on my rear bumper, so close...I was glad when he passed me, which he could have done way earlier since I was in the middle lane and the left lane was empty...I'm not sure if he was allowed to pass in the left lane, but the right lane was so busy and I was paasing a car. When he passed me in the left lane he was again so close on another cars bumper that we should have taken a picture of his action, but we were in such a shock that we were late doing so...This man has a murder weapon and doesn't realize it till it is too late, and one of these days it will be too late.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,256,784 times
Also yesterday as I was driving on I-4 back from Orlando, this speed biker guy was coming up to my bumper (and other cars as well, not just mine), then brake, then all of the sudden he is wayyyyyyyyyyy back again!!!!!!?? only for a few minutes as then he was right back on my bumper! I was in the left lane because the middle lane was sleeping or something, they were doing 55 in a 70 mile/hr zone!? (probably busy texting LOL) but this guy was INSANE.......he was speeding up to my bumper then slow down......over and over, then he pulled in front of my car and did the same, all of the sudden he is driving 40 miles in the left lane!!!!!!!!!! only to speed again to over 80!!!!! he did this for about 30 miles!!!!!!! I can't tell you HOW MUCH I wanted to hit my brakes and teach him a lesson!!!!!!!!!! his luck was that I had my daughter in my car.........what an IDIOT! and of course NO COPS around to see THAT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:58 PM

17,802 posts, read 22,460,029 times
This is daily driving in Florida. And the scary thing is many drive here with no car insurance, so they don't care.

Even the ones who have insurance don't have to carry bodily injury, how stupid is that.

You have to insure yourelf up the ying yang because you can't assume like in most states that they have coverage.

There is absolutely no enforcement of personal responsibility here when it comes to having insurance.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Your right we have a very high uninsured motorist premium....I wish we didn't have to pay for that but the people who aren't insured!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM

There is a very easy solution and a money maker for the state. Start impounding the cars.

People in other states who drive around with no car insurance tend to keep a low profile. They know if they speed or doing anything to get themselves pulled over they are losing their car. Not even up for discussion, the cop calls a tow truck.

Here there is no incentive because they never lose the car.

If you get your car impounded you either do without it, or you purchase insurance.

If the many reckless uninsured drivers in FL knew the car was going to the impound lot they would at least slow down and stay under the radar, at least the smarter ones would.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,483,221 times
Texting is far worse than listening and talking on a cell phone. At least with that you can still LOOK at the road. How do you look at your text and the road at the same time? Yeah, it shouldn't take a law, but when you have stupid people, you need stupid laws.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There is a very easy solution and a money maker for the state. Start impounding the cars.

People in other states who drive around with no car insurance tend to keep a low profile. They know if they speed or doing anything to get themselves pulled over they are losing their car. Not even up for discussion, the cop calls a tow truck.

Here there is no incentive because they never lose the car.

If you get your car impounded you either do without it, or you purchase insurance.

If the many reckless uninsured drivers in FL knew the car was going to the impound lot they would at least slow down and stay under the radar, at least the smarter ones would.
You should start a petition and send it to the States legislator...maybe it will help. I will sign!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You should start a petition and send it to the States legislator...maybe it will help. I will sign!

Thanks. But FL is a very reactive state. Never proactive. Anytime I ever tried to discuss issues you get "well that is just the way it is,what are you gonna do". The apathy here is unreal.

Even just banning texting. Why can't they just do like other states have and ban all cell phone use.

Very dumb to just ban texting. That is a big problem but so are cell phones in general.

They didn't even had a seatbelt law here until July. People say they had one,yes, but it wasn't enforced so what was the point.

They worry more about loud car stereos,which are annoying but not deadly than they do real safety issues.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,256,784 times
People get into accidents WHILE trying to ANSWER the phone!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay