U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,726,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Do they have any sushi restaurants in the Tampa area that has their sushi on conveyor belts?
Thanks
Well thats a cool idea. I've seen those on TV in Tokyo, but haven't seen it done in the states. Very cool.

I love sushi btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,184,492 times
Origami Sushi on Waters Ave is really good.

Soho Sushi on Kennedy has great sushi.

Personally, I DO NOT like The Rack or Sushi Alive. Nor would I go to a buffet for quality sushi, but thats jmo.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,212,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Well thats a cool idea. I've seen those on TV in Tokyo, but haven't seen it done in the states. Very cool.

I love sushi btw.

Maybe I need to open one up when I get to Tampa!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,391,304 times
You can pick your sushi off a floating boat at Sushi Fune in Largo. Almost as good as a conveyor belt.
Chef Toshi at work | Yelp

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 AM

451 posts, read 843,508 times
Great thread everyone. Are there any sushi restaurants that make it their brand focus to deliver locally caught seafood only? Am I ignorant in suggesting this, and is it possible that all local sushi restaurants prepare their sushi with local fish?

I come from a landlocked state, and before that a great lakes state, so my perspective may be flawed. But when I eat sushi in Tampa, should I just assume the fish is local fare, or might it be rare for a Tampa sushi restaurant to promote the fact that their game comes from local catch? (and I understand not all sushi-grade fish can be caught in Florida, but there is enough local fish species to satisfy such a focus, from my understanding)

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,973,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Great thread everyone. Are there any sushi restaurants that make it their brand focus to deliver locally caught seafood only? Am I ignorant in suggesting this, and is it possible that all local sushi restaurants prepare their sushi with local fish?

I come from a landlocked state, and before that a great lakes state, so my perspective may be flawed. But when I eat sushi in Tampa, should I just assume the fish is local fare, or might it be rare for a Tampa sushi restaurant to promote the fact that their game comes from local catch? (and I understand not all sushi-grade fish can be caught in Florida, but there is enough local fish species to satisfy such a focus, from my understanding)

It is hard to take just any fish and put it over rice and serve. When I lived on long island, you could get live oyster at some places because there were tons of them in the sound.

Of all of the fish indigenous to FL in the gulf, yellowtail, red snapper, and makarel would probably be the only thing you would see in a traditional sushi resturant. There are tons of laws regarding the serving of raw fish, some of it has to be previously frozen, whether you like it or not, and whether they call it fresh or not. This process would be daunting and costly for local fisherman that aren't mass producing for the industry, it would also be costly for the consumer. A simple cost analysis would prove that the cost likely doesn't outweigh the benifit in this case.

here is some more info about sushi which shows that it isnt as simple as catch, carve, serve:

"'Sashimi Grade' fish is caught by individual handline, and as soon as the fish is landed, its brain is pierced with a sharp spike, killing it instantly, then placed in slurried ice. This spiking is called the Ike jime process. Because the flesh thus contains minimal lactic acid from the fish dying slowly, it will keep fresh on ice for about 10 days without turning white, or otherwise degrading"

"Traditionally, fish that spend at least part of their lives in brackish or fresh water were considered unsuitable for sashimi due to the possibility of parasites. For example, salmon, an anadromous fish, is not traditionally eaten straight out of the river. A study in Seattle, Washington showed that all wild salmon had roundworm larvae capable of infecting people, while farm-raised salmon did not have any roundworm larvae.[3]
Freezing is often used to kill parasites. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends freezing at −35°C (−31°F) for 15 hours, or at −20°C (−4°F) for 7 days.[5]"

Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 AM

451 posts, read 843,508 times
Excellent answer, Craigm, thanks so much for sharing this insight. I'm glad you mentioned yellowtail, as hamachi/buri is my favorite kind of sashimi, specifically served in nigiri. You learn something new everyday, and I learned from you that sushi isn't as basic a process as catch-and-serve. That'll temper my perspective when eating sushi in Tampa, and I remain excited to taste some local yellowtail in the near future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay