U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 15,321 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to relocate to the Pasco County area. I am hoping that you could all share some info on where to look in Pasco. Anywhere you recommend, or would advise to stay away from? Flood insurance, taxes, bad areas etc?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks so much,
Steve
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,581,698 times
Steve, you need to give us more info about your housing needs, e.g., rent or buy, number of bedrooms and your price range/budget.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 AM

Hi Karen,
I'm looking to purchase a 5 bedroom house. I would like a pool, and privacy would be ideal. I would like to keep the price under 300k.
Thanks!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,581,698 times
Steve, I'm happy to report your $300K will go a long way. Prices have tumbled and there's lots of inventory. The challenge will be finding a true 5-bedroom house; there are very few. ATM, there are 119 but over half are short sales and another quarter are bank-owned. Home owner's insurance will be lower on a home built after 2002. Please plan on getting a thorough home inspection for any home built during the boom years in 2005-2006. Many were built too quickly and thus have defects. Many insurers won't underwrite a policy in Pasco without sinkhole coverage. The premiums are not too bad in some areas. Generally speaking, the areas most prone to sinkholes are from central to west. Flood insurance depends on the property elevation, but if you're in the west part of the county nearer the Gulf of Mexico and/or the property is bordered on the water, flood insurance will be required. This said, that leaves the area in the central to east part of the county which is better. There are newer communities in Wesley Chapel/Zephyrhills and there are several being built from which to choose.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM

Hi Rebecca,
I have no specific area in Pasco that I need to be near.
I don't know enough about East or West Pasco to narrow it down for you. Is homeowners ins. or taxes greater in West?
Feel free to ask anything else, I really appreciate all the help!
Thanks!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM

384 posts, read 2,063,448 times
Hi Steve,
I live in Ivy Lake Estates which is in Odessa. We live very close to the Suncoast Parkway (Veterans expressway) so we have access to lots of things close by. We love this part of town. It is quiet and country-like in some ways, but also everything you need is close. Let me know if I can help you answer any questions.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 AM

26,746 posts, read 41,080,052 times
Wesley Chapel has mostly "no flood zones" so that will save money. Also Pasco has lower property taxes which is good and lots of shopping has come to Wesley Chapel, incl the new mall and things are cleared for the new mall to be build but due to the economy that can take longer but it has been planned.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 PM

42 posts, read 132,255 times
Steve, We are strongly considering a purchase in Pasco county. Last week I called over 9 insurance companies to get an idea of what premiums would be for the home. I was told that they either dont write policies for Pasco, or that they can ONLY offer Citizen's Ins. which is the "company of last resort" for homeowners who cant get insurance anywhere else. Citizen's was established by the government and is now insuring many people in Florida after so many insurance companies have left the state or cancelled customer's policies. The quotes I received on a 300k home ranged from 1600-2600. This doesnt include sinkhole coverage-which may or may not be required by your mortgage co (I have no idea if this is "optional".) Adding this coverage brings premiums up to $4000+ per year! Pasco taxes may be lower, but the savings may be offset by the ridiculous ins. premiums and no option to "shop elsewhere" Just wanted you to be aware of this-it was an unpleasant surprise to me. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 8,697 times
Steve, for homeowner ins. you can check "Farm Bureau".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay