U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,581,698 times

Advertisements

^^LOL! In 25 years, I've never seen a gator anywhere near my house, but I've seen them at office parks near man-made ponds and obviously seen them as reported by the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,685,000 times
Well, now you have the raccoons that shredded the woman in Lakeland happening in the news. Stay away from the raccoons, too.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,643,507 times
Aaaand this one time, at Band Camp. . . .

Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,120,035 times
I just saw one going from someone's back yard to a pond.......I hope he didn't eat anyone there.....LOLOL

Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 AM

265 posts, read 883,968 times
In all seriousness there are many gators in Florida. Some big ones too, I've hunted them a few times and you'd be surprised just how many there are in residential areas. Be aware of your surroundings, and trust that large gators are pretty easily located. High concentrations of big gators seldom happen as their territorial instincts dont allow for much competition. Keep animals away from any body of water that may have gators in it. In FL the average sized gator is 4-8 feet and weighs only a few hundred pounds, gators over 10 feet are a real minority and those over 12 are seldom reported. Claims of 13-15 ft gators topping 500 lbs are most likely false except in private unmanaged areas. Large gators have no natural predator and no fear of humans, if you see one in a residential area then you should call the FWC. If someone is feeding a gator it is like sentencing him to death, all nuisance gators are currently killed as there are no gator farms willing to take them as the meat and hide market have taken a huge hit in the sour economy.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM

119 posts, read 167,772 times
Just remember, the gators were here before the developers destroyed this place!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,178,722 times
Sorry, I hate to revive this old thread but it creeped me out. So, if I understand this correctly, I probably don't want one of those 'waterfront homes' that have a little man made lake behind it. From what I gather either a gator lives in there or will eventually live in there in the near future. Meaning, I shouldn;t let my kids or dogs play in my backyard if it backs up against the 'lake'. OOooook, good to know.

Here I am worried about gators when I have Black Bears and Grizzlies come through my yard a dozen times a year. I think gators creep me out more because my dogs might not be able to alert me if a gator is in the area like they do when there is a bear around.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 PM

371 posts, read 1,076,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Sorry, I hate to revive this old thread but it creeped me out. So, if I understand this correctly, I probably don't want one of those 'waterfront homes' that have a little man made lake behind it. From what I gather either a gator lives in there or will eventually live in there in the near future. Meaning, I shouldn;t let my kids or dogs play in my backyard if it backs up against the 'lake'. OOooook, good to know.

Here I am worried about gators when I have Black Bears and Grizzlies come through my yard a dozen times a year. I think gators creep me out more because my dogs might not be able to alert me if a gator is in the area like they do when there is a bear around.
No Kash, It's ok. Those bodies of water are just man made swimmin' holes for you to enjoy.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,102,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
No Kash, It's ok. Those bodies of water are just man made swimmin' holes for you to enjoy.
Tell that to the family's who have lost their small dogs around the Tampa Bay area due to gator attacks.

Actually, gators can and have been an issue, even in subdivisions you wouldn't think they would visit. I lived adjacent to a lake...not ON the lake mind you, adjacent to the lake. We had several instances with gators in our neighborhood. The Wildlife trappers were always there. My next door neighbor had a vestibule type entrance to his house. Gators smell dogs, they follow the scent..my neighbor had a BIG gator smell his old english sheep dog's scent and got stuck in the vestibule entrance and couldn't get out so his tail kept smacking their front door. The dog of course was barking crazily ...it was late at night...and they looked out their window and saw no one at the door but kept hearing the knocking. They call the police...upon arrival...it was..you guessed it, A GATOR! Trappers freed it during their pursuit then it ran under the car and lifted its body to wedge itself under the car...it took them 3-4hrs to get him out of there! LOL

Again, our neighborhood ..that one in particular...had several gator visits! I could go on,but I would probably bore you. lol

Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 PM

371 posts, read 1,076,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Tell that to the family's who have lost their small dogs around the Tampa Bay area due to gator attacks.
I didn't tell him to take his dog swimmin' with him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or