U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:02 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,123,177 times

Advertisements

Yes, and with that I just remember another one: when we lived in one of these communities a few years back we were told we cannot install one of those play things for our kids if they can be seen over the 6 foot fence!!! You know those play structures with slides and swings made out of wood.......I had to write a letter to that HOA and explain that we found that to be absolutely ridiculous since ALL these structures are well over 6 feet tall and can be seen over fences taller than 10 feet!
So, be aware of that and ask the Realtor for those by-laws to make sure the HOA doesn't have this restriction, apparently they have it here too, all tho we couldn't install it here because the entire back yard is taken by the pool!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 PM

26,747 posts, read 41,099,246 times
In our communities it is allowed even over 6 foot, but you need to have it fenced in, due to liability...

Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 AM

Yeah, and if you face a pond, (or back to one) you can't hide it anyways because you'll be forced to have a wrought iron fence...or no fence.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM

What kind of community are you in...in all the communities that I'm aware of or own a home they have the same regulation for conservation lots and fences...white pvc low picket fence in the back, on the side it can be 6 feet high...but who wants to be on a pond and not see it at all?

The wooden fences are no longer allowed in most communities due to termites (which makes a lot of sense in Fl.) and the short term that they last and than start to look bad or are rotten and many people don't maintain them...

Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,462,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
...In non of the communities that I own homes, is there a rule for the size or breed of the dog and neither are there any rental restrictions other than 1 community doesn't allow a "for rent" sign....but I always rent my property out pretty fast even without a "for rent" sign..."for sale" signs are allowed over there.
bentlebee reminded me of these other restrictions:
no "For Rent" or "For Sale" signs allowed on your property. People who are interested in buying have to find out through a realtor what is for sale.

I wholeheartedly agree that you should not buy into a HOA or deed-restricted community unless you agree with the rules. What sometimes happens though is that the board of directors changes the rules or begins "zero-tolerance" enforcement of the rules.

Even police do not enforce "zero-tolerance".

Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,190,060 times
I had a tree swing on a side tree. I got a notice that I was in violation and it had to come down. I have the misfortune of living next to someone who use to be on the board and knew ALL the rules. She goes around with a note pad writing down any neighbors who are violating any HOA rules. She then complains and we get a lovely letter about how "this is Tampa Palms and we have certain standards that need to be meet. Noncomplaince to the HOA rules is a violation that will incure fines". Same community, a new family moved in. Within a month, they got a violation notice that there was slight green fungi growing on their house and they need to take care of this within 28 days. Another new neighbor was having construction on their house. The contractor left his work trailer in the driveway for 2 days. He got a violation notice stating that the trailer was there for 2 days and it needs to go. I think it is ridiculous.

There is a new law that says no one can tell you what kind of grass you must grow. When we first moved in there were 2 types of grass allowed at Tampa Palms. St. Augustine and something else. No weeds were allowed. I have seen neighbors who got violation notices for too many weeds in their yard.

You have to get approval for just about everything you do to the outside. I lived in a deed restricted community in NJ and a neighbor wanted to put up shingles. They got them approved. They spent a lot of money having them installed. Once they were up, the assocation changned their minds, so they had to come down, otherwise face a law suit.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
bentlebee reminded me of these other restrictions:
no "For Rent" or "For Sale" signs allowed on your property. People who are interested in buying have to find out through a realtor what is for sale.

I wholeheartedly agree that you should not buy into a HOA or deed-restricted community unless you agree with the rules. What sometimes happens though is that the board of directors changes the rules or begins "zero-tolerance" enforcement of the rules.

Even police do not enforce "zero-tolerance".
I rent it very easily even with a for sale sign....just put your own number on it and you will rent it faster than using a realtor who first needs to rent out his own rental....put up a box with fliers on which you are stating it isn't for sale but for rent...it works very well for me so it will work for others...

I know that some communties don't allow any signs unless behind the window...I wouldn't buy there in a million years!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Cheval..........were not allowed to have For Sale signs nor for rent......

and what sucks is that all these people buying these sub-division type homes "think" they achieved the
"American Dream"!!!! only to find out the hard way that the HOA and Mortgage company REALLY own their home and not them!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Cheval..........were not allowed to have For Sale signs nor for rent......

and what sucks is that all these people buying these sub-division type homes "think" they achieved the
"American Dream"!!!! only to find out the hard way that the HOA and Mortgage company REALLY own their home and not them!
You should have read the papers before you signed! It is called due diligence.

If you buy a new build home the builder needs to provide you with the HOA rules and regulations and you are allowed to look into them before you sign the contract on the home. If you buy a resale you should ask for the HOA rules and regulations or call (just as I did) the HOA and ask the questions that are most important to you. If you think it isn't for you, than don't buy in a HOA community. Why isn't just a few HO who is having issues while others are okay and have no issues. Btw, like with everything else in life the complainers always have the loudest voices....

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM

We are renting here....I am not buying another property with Hoa ever again....the only reason we are renting here is because of my son's school.......no other reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay