U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM

26,764 posts, read 41,216,132 times

Advertisements

Ohh that makes it clear...Your LL should have told you the HOA rules and regulations and if he has or not, you have to obey them. I have the most important rules spelled out in my contracts with tenants, and also spelled out that any fine is to be paid by them!

Some LL "forget" to let the tenants know about the rules and regulations which can cause issues, in other cases tenants like to do whatever they want and pay the price!

Don't worry you aren't stuck where you live...you are a renter and can move when your lease is up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM

329 posts, read 686,767 times
we wanted to put a old camper on blocks in the driveway as a guest house, with some screening hanging from the front overhang. so we could have an old sofa i found under it,(sort of a poor man's lania)...a small plastic palm and just a few flamingo's all inside a tractor tire filled with sand in the front lawn...we took the front end off a early 70's suburban, and then gutted it and put it on top of 2 swing sets with a rope coming thru a rust hole in the floor so the young'uns could have a fort/playhouse..that way my blue ticks could not get in and leave any 'gifts on the floor to step in'...and then we get THE LETTER saying this don't fly here...just not right, i want to live by you,to many rules here. p.s. if you have one of those old 10ft sat. dishes i've got 3 or 4 nifty ideas....
p.p.s. got a cooler you got the beer, neighbor???

Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,141,816 times
bentlebee: We don't care about their rules as we lived in this type of policed community for years now....plus I was in the board of 2 HOAs so, none of this comes as a surprise to us, we just go by our business and follow their rules.....however I do feel bad about the fact that people buy these homes (us included a few years back) and then you just want to plant some colorful flowers or something nice and you need approval!!!!!....to me it is the stupidity of some of these items that they prohibit.....sure no one wants to have the next door neighbor do a pow-wow every night in their driveway...but at the same time, why the hell not? my point is that it takes the LIFE out of these places, makes them very militarized! I can understand the security part of it, that's great, we definitely want our kids be safe and us ladies walk around in shorts without being starred at....but some of these items are just useless and they have no business in these by-laws! .........then on top of it, you get those retired bored overzealous neighbors who can't even see straight complain about something so stupid it's not funny!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
bentlebee: We don't care about their rules as we lived in this type of policed community for years now....plus I was in the board of 2 HOAs so, none of this comes as a surprise to us, we just go by our business and follow their rules.....however I do feel bad about the fact that people buy these homes (us included a few years back) and then you just want to plant some colorful flowers or something nice and you need approval!!!!!....to me it is the stupidity of some of these items that they prohibit.....sure no one wants to have the next door neighbor do a pow-wow every night in their driveway...but at the same time, why the hell not? my point is that it takes the LIFE out of these places, makes them very militarized! I can understand the security part of it, that's great, we definitely want our kids be safe and us ladies walk around in shorts without being starred at....but some of these items are just useless and they have no business in these by-laws! .........then on top of it, you get those retired bored overzealous neighbors who can't even see straight complain about something so stupid it's not funny!

You are a TENANT, so you can't even change things without the owners approval....so why do you keep complaining whenyou aren't even a HO!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Actually the owners are really good friends of us, this was their vacation home, and they are "trying" to sell it to us......we ARE actually taking care of it as if it was our own, in January we will replace the carpets with bamboo, we can rent it forever if we wanted too....so...this is not your typical renter/LL situation as we are very good friends, we are also in very good terms with the management company...........we have had the entire house painted on the inside...decorated kids rooms, and we are waiting for this heat to die down so we can paint the exterior.... as a matter of fact in our case, all the homes we ever rented we treated as if they were our own SINCE WE lived there! painted every single one of them........VERY TASTEFULLY!

My complaints have nothing to do with our current situation, they have to do more with the principles behind these type of communities.........and this need to police people on their own property, as I was saying before when I lived in Europe, each of us had a different looking house, and each were required from time to time to paint as normal wear and tear takes place, we had snow there too.....but we didn't have a HOA telling us what kind of roses were allowed to plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Actually the owners are really good friends of us, this was their vacation home, and they are "trying" to sell it to us......we ARE actually taking care of it as if it was our own, in January we will replace the carpets with bamboo, we can rent it forever if we wanted too....so...this is not your typical renter/LL situation as we are very good friends, we are also in very good terms with the management company...........we have had the entire house painted on the inside...decorated kids rooms, and we are waiting for this heat to die down so we can paint the exterior.... as a matter of fact in our case, all the homes we ever rented we treated as if they were our own SINCE WE lived there! painted every single one of them........VERY TASTEFULLY!

My complaints have nothing to do with our current situation, they have to do more with the principles behind these type of communities.........and this need to police people on their own property, as I was saying before when I lived in Europe, each of us had a different looking house, and each were required from time to time to paint as normal wear and tear takes place, we had snow there too.....but we didn't have a HOA telling us what kind of roses were allowed to plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is great when tenants treat the house if it was their own!

You live now in the USA and things are different than in Europe, I know I'm from Europe too and we didn't have a HOA but most homes were the same and the city was very strict with any modification. We had a great looking house though (English style). My sister had a house build by an architect and it was ridiculous how many times the city would deny their permit and they had to change things...size, height,color, etc...all is decided by the county. It is either stone color (different colors of stone will be allowed, but only one color for the entire home) and only white or off white, no other colors.

I have adjusted over here so much and I love it here. You have to accept that not everything is the same, and that is just what I like about the USA...not everything might be better but a HOA is there for a reason and understand it.....I have driven through area without a HOA and some homes are gorgeous while next to it a trashed horrible looking home or trailer is...that is why I rather live with the rules than without and it isn't so hard if we keep all to the rules...

Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Well, in Romania is a lot different and homeowners there are not interested in being on Extreme Homes (HGTV), everything is done tastefully...

As far as HOAs here, there should be the same rules and the same rules be applied in such way that it doesn't hurt the homeowner who pays the taxes!

I noticed too that even in South Tampa there are a few shacks left in shambles, but what if they belong to someone who is too old to maintain themselves? why can't the next door neighbor offer some help? there is a guy on our street who owns a mowing service and he is mowing all the lawns for the foreclosed homes for free, just to keep the "look" in some shape, since the grass is dead pretty much........but at least he stepped up! my husband even offered to help him out sometimes!!! we would do the same if the people were old and couldn't handle it anymore.........what's wrong with that? instead, the people get those nasty letters coming from someone's computer who has no idea who lives there and what circumstances brought that person to ignore the lawn!!!!!!!!!!? and other petty stuff that's been going on.....

Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,780,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
we wanted to put a old camper on blocks in the driveway as a guest house, with some screening hanging from the front overhang. so we could have an old sofa i found under it,(sort of a poor man's lania)...a small plastic palm and just a few flamingo's all inside a tractor tire filled with sand in the front lawn...we took the front end off a early 70's suburban, and then gutted it and put it on top of 2 swing sets with a rope coming thru a rust hole in the floor so the young'uns could have a fort/playhouse..that way my blue ticks could not get in and leave any 'gifts on the floor to step in'...and then we get THE LETTER saying this don't fly here...just not right, i want to live by you,to many rules here. p.s. if you have one of those old 10ft sat. dishes i've got 3 or 4 nifty ideas....
p.p.s. got a cooler you got the beer, neighbor???
good one

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,780,607 times
Quote:
paint colors
..............These people are insane........

The nerve of any HOA that can't appreciate the color of my home.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The nerve of any HOA that can't appreciate the color of my home.

It looks like a famous painter was busy...but he died...so a copycat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay