U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 PM

8 posts, read 31,967 times

Advertisements

I am going to buy a house in either Pasco or Pinellas County, however my 11 y/o has A.D.H.D and O.D.D. and I am hoping to get as many recommendations regarding school districts (middle school/high school) which offer the most for his needs. Please if you respond could you name the school that you are recommending, since I am not that fimilair with the areas each school covers........thanks for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,677 times
Default Pinellas Schools

Pinellas County has a school choice program, so where you live will have almost nothing to do with what schools you are eligible for. You should check out their website for more info. And since registration happens WAY before summer, newcomers are usually left with the short end of the stick as far as choice fo schools. That said, Pinellas County spends an awful lot of money on ESE programs and kids. Some schools have higher concentrations of special kids than others, but my observation is that most schools are similar, they all have bad kids and they all have good kids. As a schoolbus driver, I have always enjoyed driving for Morgan Fitzgerald Middle (Largo area) because the administration does not hesitate to remove problem-causing students from the bus at the drivers request. They also seem to have a higher concentration of special kids, but the staff has been there for a while and they smile a lot when I see them at the beginning and end of the day. Just my 2 cents!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 71,585 times
Pinellas does have better schools than most Pasco. Main difference between Pasco and Pinellas is taxes. Pasco is an area that is busting at the seams with construction b/c everyone is moving here now. The Trinity area is a new and upcoming area in Pasco with great schools. Pasco also has the school choice program. All of the schools in Pasco are rated by letter grades. I know Trinity had an "A" rating last time I was checking into that. Search the web for the school grades. Not too sure of the speciality programs.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM

799 posts, read 3,435,463 times
Pinellas county seems to have higher taxes then Pasco but I would think the difference between the two counties would be lost if you bought a home in the cdd communities. I have a 16, 12 and 11 year old and am trying to decide where to go also. I like the palm harbor, dunedin, oldsmar areas but I don't know if my kids would be happier in Land o lakes . I am trying to get away from living where there is mostly small children but don't want to end up where there is no children.. I also don't want to be too far from the beaches. We are located 80 miles away from the gulf now and I would like to get in alot closer so that my kids can go to the beach more often!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM

930 posts, read 662,541 times
Pasco county does have school choice. We live in Holiday and my daughter goes to the new TOES. I had to get her out of Sunray.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM

28 posts, read 85,321 times
What happened at Sunray?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna123 View Post
Wasn't aware Pasco had adopted the choice program? Are you sure? Many families move to Pasco (especially Trinity) to get away from the choice program. Having said that, home values are better in Trinity and it's a very family friendly place with new shopping centers and restaurants. It would be my choice if I was looking.
Yes I am positive about the choice program. We used it with my son years ago when he started. The only thing with the choice program is the school you are requesting has the choice of not accepting you. If that school is at 100% and they have no room, then you don't get in. But.....if you live in that school zone you are guaranteed a spot. So just check the schools before purchasing a home.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,562,877 times
i heard the schools in pasco are horrible for the mostpart

Old 06-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i heard the schools in pasco are horrible for the mostpart
Well, we do have our share of doosies, but if you research the school and get into an "A" school you are okay. My son is in a gifted program, so we are in a great position -- it's like a privite school in a public school with everyone learning at their own levels, unlike traditional classrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or