U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 18,601 times

Advertisements

So, Im looking to move to Tampa in the beginning of January and Ive been researching apartments for some time now. I spent a weekend in Tampa looking over the top of my lists just to find out I didnt care for them.

Im looking for a nice, but cheap one bedroom apartment between Town and Country area of tampa and south tampa. I was looking at Davis Island Apartments, although thats a bit too south for my liking, and Bridgeview, which is a bit too west. Davis Islands seemed like a good neighborhood although the apartments were a bit too bland. Bridgeview seemed nice but Im worried about the neighborhood and traffic in particular. Also I read the reviews on apartmentratings.com and Im not sure if Id want to risk the bug problem most renters were complaining about.

So, can anyone name a couple apartments that i can check out next time Im in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM

2,637 posts, read 11,405,476 times
Well, what is more important, nice or cheap? I don't think you can really have both at once. That said, look into the Camden properties. They have several complexes in the bay area with nice amenities and competitive pricing. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Id say both are equally important.
Ive allocated $900-$1100/month to go to rent and utilities for an apartment and still be able to live comfortable with other bills and things.
So the nicest place I can get for that amount would be optimal. But if I can find anything for less that would be great also.

And 3 of the 12 camden properties near tampa were on my list originally based on reviews, but when i took location into consideration I knocked them off. However, the two I remember werent far, but I was hoping for better. But I suppose I shouldnt be so picky because then my long list ends up at 0. So thank you for that input. I will look into the two properties further.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,582,972 times
Look at Island Club on Rocky Point or Villa Sonoma at International Plaza, both in Zip 33607.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Both those seem a bit high. Those numbers I posted would need to include utilities, so depending on if anything was included the rent would need to be lower than those numbers. Thank you.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Look, I have no horse in this race; I was merely trying to help (sheesh!) A friend of mine lives in one of the units at Island Club. He told me before I posted that his rent includes water, sewer, and garbage and his electric has never been more than $70 a month. Rent $900 + Electric $70 = $970 leaving you $130 from your $1100 housing allowance.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 PM

I apologize if I seemed hostile or anything. I just thought maybe you mistunderstood. Because both apartments I seen were over $1000 and it didnt include anything. I apologize. I will look further into it because both suggestions you gave did look very nice.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 PM

I looked in the MLS. You can do similar searches on Move.com just don't include square footage. One unit at Villa Sonoma is $850, the other $995; the larger unit at Island Club is $1,000 which would push your limit but don't discount negotiating down. All of these will include water, sewer, and garbage. You can call Tampa Electric, give them an address, and they will tell you the monthly cost for electricity. Both complexes have a pool and gym and Island Club is on the water. You can get phone, cable & high speed internet from Brighthouse for $99. Not sure what will be available your next trip, but both locations are between SoTa and TnC and worthy of keeping on your short list.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Thank you for the input. Its highly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,255,114 times
Be careful of Camden...a couple of years ago they decided to raise all people up for renewal to market rate...yup-people were getting raised $200 OVER what they were paying...they also make you pay other fees and such...like valet trash or cable/internet...everyone I have ever spoke to who lived on Camden properties weren't please about that...(and I work in the apartment industry myself so I hear a lot of things!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay