Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 21,852 times

Advertisements

HI - some questions re: the culture and arts scene in Tampa.
We may be relocating there next year for work. Right now we are in Portland, OR, which is a mecca for hip, young culture. That is, independent bookstores, theaters, restaurants, etc. We are a little concerned that Tampa doesn't have as much. We are not into beach culture, sports, or the bar scene. I guess you could call us "artsy" in a lot of respects, but we're not snobbish. We just enjoy things that aren't mainstream.
Are than any art house film theaters that show independent, art house, or foreign films?
Are there any independent book sellers?
I know that every large urban area has its opera and symphony, but that's a given.
I lived in Sarasota from '92-'94 and I remember Ybor City being very boheme, now it appears to be a tourist trap. Are there any parts of Tampa that are slightly left of center or funky?
Any ideas on what a couple of artsy folks can do in Tampa to pass the time when not working?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Artsy folks coming to Tampa? Here are a few sites to check out:
Arts | Creative Loafing Tampa | Arts
Arts Council of Hillsborough County

This is a brand new alliance that just started this year:
Tampa Independent Business Alliance (http://www.tibatampa.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 - broken link)

Some of the countries largest film and art festivals take place int he Bay area like 'clip' - the GLBT Film Festival which is happening now through the 18th, and the Gasparilla Intl Film Festival, Gasparilla Festival of the Arts, Mainsail Art Festival....
Independant theaters include historic Tampa Theater, Beach Theater, which play mostly independants/foreign films and host some fo the Film Festivals(Channelside and Bay Walk also host some film festivals)

There are alot of Galleries and Art showings throughout the Bay each weekend, like this one on Friday I will be attending: Canvas 5

Independant book sellers? Yes..Haslams is HUGE, Inkwood, Mojo, Old Tampa to name a few...

Tampa is also home the the largest Performing Arts center south of Washington DC. Numerous venues throughout the Bay like Van Wezel, Mahaffey, Ruth Eckerd which are the bigger ones...

Museums are all over, in downtown Tampa there is the Museum of Art, Tampa Bay History Center, Police Museum, Fire Museum, Museum of the Photographic Arts....there is also a Museum of Science and Industry...
Downtown St. Pete has the the Dali, Holocaust, Fine Arts, International, History, and soon to be home of the Chihuly Gallery
They aeach have special exhibits and special events from time to time.

I am one to go to the 'independants' (retail, cafes, restaurants, music, art, theater) rather than the big chains, just something more nostalgic and personal...and I find plenty in the Tampa area. Ask if you want more info...for independant eateries/cafes one just need to choose locations like the South Howard Ave area of Hyde Park neighborhood, or Ybor City's 7th Avenue, or Dunedin's Main Street, or downtown St. Pete's Central Avenue, Seminole Heights neighborhood of Tampa...take a drive up Armenia Avenue from Columbus Drive to Waters Ave and you will have all kinds of ethnic cuisines...

Ybor City is still a funky off beat area - but has some awesome restaurants and cafes, and great art galleries, the GLBT even opened up an entire 4 block area they have named 'Gaybor'...each first Saturday the Artists in Ybor open up their studios to the public. Friday and SAturday nights get a bit busy/rough with the bar crowd especially after midnight. Other 'funky/artsy' areas include Gulfport and Dunedin.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 10-13-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay