Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,384 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about going to Florida to for college can someone tell me about the crime by University of Tampa and University of South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,261,657 times
USF isn't really in a nice area. It borders Suitcase City, which has some of the highest crime in the county. UT isn't in a bad area, but north of campus (Cass Street) starts to get seedy. The projects are about half a mile north of there.

The campuses aren't dangerous themselves, so don't worry about that. Just be on the lookout for suspicious people if you go for a walk off campus or if you plan on living off campus.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,349,183 times
The north and east sides of USF campus are reletively safe, and Tampa Palms(north)/Temple Terrace(east) are nice areas. Now just to the West of campus is not so nice, from 30th street to I-275 along Fowler and Fletcher aves.

The are just norht of UT is ok, but you have downtown(where the tall buildings are) directly to the east, and South Tampa directly to the south which are desirable areas.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 AM

286 posts, read 1,025,945 times
Yes beware around USF. Overall unless there's a specific program you're gunning for I'd stay away from it altogether. The whole University/Suitcase City area is disgusting and unsafe, no walkability, and far from the core neighborhoods.

UT is the opposite of this. However it is small and expensive.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM

725 posts, read 2,560,514 times
There's around 44,000 students at USF that happen to love the University. Go Bulls.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,906,509 times
I went to UT (live in NJ right now, but still lurk as I'll probably end up back in Tampa soon).

The campus itself is safe, I never had a problem with anything being stolen or my vehicle damaged, or anything like that. However, the area around it is not particularly safe, especially at night. There is a pretty decent homeless population in the area and they can be aggressive at times. A lot of kids from the college head over to the Texaco station at night (assuming it's still there) for smokes or a beer run, and there has been trouble right around there, so avoid that. W. Kennedy as a whole is pretty much a train wreck at night between the campus and Dale Mabry. But go a few blocks east off from Kennedy and it's actually a very nice neighborhood.

I would recommend strongly that you bring a car to campus, because there aren't many ways of getting around the city and the region as a whole if you don't have one. Public transport is VERY shady and I would not board a bus in the city proper. In fact, they specifically told students NOT to take public buses anywhere in the city.

I don't intend to scare you off from going to UT, because it's a fun school and most of the bay area is very nice, but be aware that the immediate neighborhood nearby isn't very safe. And definitely, definitely, definitely bring your car if you go there!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:50 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,261,657 times
I don't know why they would recommend students to stay away from the buses. That seems a little extreme. I have taken the bus all over the county, even on some of the real inner-city routes like Nebraska and 40th Street. From what I've experienced and from what I've read in the papers, HARTline has almost no crime, especially on its buses. In fact, the only real problems I run into are panhandlers, and the transit police usually scare them off.

That being said, while the bus system is workable, you'd really be at their mercy, especially on the weekends. However, one route that goes by campus, the 30, is pretty convenient for going down Kennedy to Westshore Mall and the airport. If you can bring a car, go for it.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,906,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I don't know why they would recommend students to stay away from the buses. That seems a little extreme. I have taken the bus all over the county, even on some of the real inner-city routes like Nebraska and 40th Street. From what I've experienced and from what I've read in the papers, HARTline has almost no crime, especially on its buses. In fact, the only real problems I run into are panhandlers, and the transit police usually scare them off.

That being said, while the bus system is workable, you'd really be at their mercy, especially on the weekends. However, one route that goes by campus, the 30, is pretty convenient for going down Kennedy to Westshore Mall and the airport. If you can bring a car, go for it.
The school specifically told us to avoid the buses if at all possible. I always used my own car so I didn't have to take them, but honestly I always thought the people I saw getting off of the city buses looked a bit shady. Whether they would bother you or not, I don't really know, but I'd just assume avoid the situation altogether.

I really wish Tampa would do something about the homeless problem in the city, something like Giuliani did in NYC when the same thing was going on there. Get them off the streets, make it ILLEGAL to live on the streets and physically transport them to shelters so they don't bother people and/or threaten people.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 AM

81 posts, read 132,862 times
The area east of USF tampa is a little sketchy between 50th st and 56th st in Temple Terrace. Once you're into TT, it gets a lot nicer.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,349,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
The area east of USF tampa is a little sketchy between 50th st and 56th st in Temple Terrace. Once you're into TT, it gets a lot nicer.
Do you mean 'southeast' as in south of Fowler Avenue between 50th and 56th? Because its all students that live along 50th street from Fowler to Fletcher, and the neighborhood directly to the east are some nice homes, many of the professors live there as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay