Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times

Advertisements

Are most of the jobs in Tampa bay, or are they pretty evenly spread throughout the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,010 times
Depends on the type of jobs. White collar jobs can be found Downtown Tampa, Westshore Business District, Downtown St Pete, whearas blue collar and service industry jobs are generally going to be better in areas with the highest population. MacDill AirForce base provides opportunities as well.

I don't think the tampa st. pete area is particularly known for it's booming industry in during these tough times. In August, Tampa-St. Pete had an 11.3% unemployment rate, higher then the National average.

Identifying a specific industry will likely enable people here to provide better insight when answering your question.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Depends on the type of jobs. White collar jobs can be found Downtown Tampa, Westshore Business District, Downtown St Pete, whearas blue collar and service industry jobs are generally going to be better in areas with the highest population. MacDill AirForce base provides opportunities as well.

I don't think the tampa st. pete area is particularly known for it's booming industry in during these tough times. In August, Tampa-St. Pete had an 11.3% unemployment rate, higher then the National average.

Identifying a specific industry will likely enable people here to provide better insight when answering your question.
I have an economics degree, but I am under 25 and open to doing things outside the field. I would do anything that will give me a good salary.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 12,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I have an economics degree, but I am under 25 and open to doing things outside the field. I would do anything that will give me a good salary.
I am in a similar situation...24, about to graduate with my MBA, and am currently in the process of relocating to the area. I'm not sure how much research you've done but almost all of the white-collar I have found are in Tampa with a few here and there at Company HQs in St. Pete. Although, I'm in TN now so i don't have the advantage of a local network to source jobs from either.

Its rough out there, I consider myself to have a decent background/resume but there are so many unemployed professionals with years of experience. Ive already applied to 40 or so jobs with no luck . Like you said, be open to new possibilities/positions as it is definitely an "employers' market." Just keep looking and you will find something.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM

161 posts, read 450,367 times
theres jobs around here right now?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times
Quote:
Are most of the jobs in Tampa bay, or are they pretty evenly spread throughout the area?
I found more jobs are concentrated in the "carillon parkway" and "Gateway" area in St.Pete/Clearwater than in the Tampa area(not sure about downtown Tampa)

Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
Quote:
I would suggest that you look into setting up your own business At your age and in this economic environment, you are at a prime time to take this step. I am much older, but did take that step a few years ago. The rewards of setting your own goals and accomplishing them are tremendous. My business is growing, simple and affords me the time to do what I want. Moderator cut: ..

Last edited by Keeper; 11-04-2009 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: do not solicit for your business on this forum

Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
noticed that local hospitals are hiring seasonal employees - healthcare type jobs - Dec/Jan through May to take care of the snowbirds who move down every winter.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
Quote:
On this forum, you can check you settings and select social groups, where you will find home based businesses. There are several entries there from people providing you options to check out. A good thing about a home based business, is that it does not matter so much where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: