Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,568 times

Advertisements

In the next 3-4 months, I need to find a job like in IT or Telecommunications. Where in the Tampa Bay area would one likely find the most jobs? For example, does Tampa have more jobs than Clearwater, etc?

Also, what job markets is each city known for? Like does Tampa focus on medical jobs? or insurance? etc...

Also what are some good websites to find job listings? I started with TBO.com but it seems like a very lightly used site.

Right now, I am open to find a job in any city like Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Palm Harbor, Brandon maybe even Lakeland if its not too far, etc..

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,792 times
Try www.dice.com. There reallly isn't much in the way of computer jobs in Tampa. My husband is a computer programmer (mainframe) and has very little luck finding a job after he was laid off in February. He is currently on a consulting job that is ending soon. He may end up going out of state to find a job. IT jobs seem to be mostly consulting positions.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:46 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,568 times
I am looking for local sites... job posting sites that are local to Tampa Bay.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Check career. this link is set for Hillsborough but you can change it to city or zip and then search out however many miles.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Headhunters are your best bet. My son is an IT/network/telecommunication professional and worked as a consultant. He was hired on permanent after 6 months. He told me they called him yesterday asking if he knew of anyone with his skill set.

Now.. I also know ppl who have been out of work since April and are still looking for a permanent job

Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM

96 posts, read 255,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Try www.dice.com. There reallly isn't much in the way of computer jobs in Tampa. My husband is a computer programmer (mainframe) and has very little luck finding a job after he was laid off in February. He is currently on a consulting job that is ending soon. He may end up going out of state to find a job. IT jobs seem to be mostly consulting positions.
I used to be a Mainframe System Programmer. Tell hubby to learn UNIX, Iseries, Oracle, SQL Server, ASP .NET, Websphere and some Java, plenty of Tampa opportunities in those those areas. Mainframe jobs are far and few to find these days. The North East (in general), San Franciso, NY and DC area are the best areas for Mainframers, not the South. So put on your winter jacket, burrrr,burrrr and get a Mainframe job up North, lol. I left my Mainframe System Programmer career 10 years ago for these type of IT opportunities so I could relocate to the South. Sure enough that dream/strategy paid off.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:49 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Guy View Post
I used to be a Mainframe System Programmer. Tell hubby to learn UNIX, Iseries, Oracle, SQL Server, ASP .NET, Websphere and some Java, plenty of Tampa opportunities in those those areas. Mainframe jobs are far and few to find these days. The North East (in general), San Franciso, NY and DC area are the best areas for Mainframers, not the South. So put on your winter jacket, burrrr,burrrr and get a Mainframe job up North, lol. I left my Mainframe System Programmer career 10 years ago for these type of IT opportunities so I could relocate to the South. Sure enough that dream/strategy paid off.
We moved down with a company from NYC. Then after 4 years they laid him and others off.

He found another mainframe job (permanent) near the airport, so we stay put for a while. We feel very fortunate that he found this job. Does not pay like NYC did, but it is a job and has benefits. He knows Oracle and SQL. Has tried to learn JAVA and .net, but finds it a whole different animal that he has a hard time understanding.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM

20 posts, read 52,853 times
Tampa is likely to have more available positions but it is likely the have more people applying for them.

When we moved down none of us had jobs so we picked the Feather Sound area in Clearwater. Its pretty much in the center of St Pete, Clearwater, and Tampa so that maximized our area to apply for jobs. I work IT and basicly when we moved down I looked up the websites for each of the large buildings around our place, then started to go off of various lists like "largest employers". I tried to avoid the mega combined sites like monster\CB as I have never got anything interesting off of those. I got a job in less than a month of being down here.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,143 times
I'm actually in the same situation. I live in the Philly area and would like to move to Tampa. I'm a IT professional with 10 years experience. What is the best way to find a job in the area? Should I use a Florida address on my resume? I really do not want to deceive any employers but I feel that when they see an out of state resume it gets trashed. theKub, how were you able to find a job in a month?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM

27 posts, read 94,731 times
I have a degree in electronics engineering and have 3 years experience doing telecommunications work, and I am currently working at a hotel. There is not much at all in clearwater, st pete, tampa..... the ONLY telecomm work I could find was temporary, 1099 sub contracting stuff.... It is a BIG turnoff to be out of state because companies think you are going to move here, and leave in a year. If they see an out of state phone number on your resume, they wont call you back. I hate to be so negative but I just went through this for 4-5 months of daily job searching...! Thekub is on track when he says find local companies and apply directly to them, go to their doorstep if you do move down here, aviod monster, craigslist, careerbuilder.... I had a few places that I sent my resume to tell me they had over 800 applicants!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay