U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,250,185 times

Advertisements

We are considering converting our chlorine pool to saltwater. Pinch-a-Penny is telling us how easy it will be once we switch over. Maintainence free, no more chemicals, just throw in a bag of salt every 2 to 3 months. Of coarse they are charging $1,200 for the switch over to saltwater.

I was wondering if anyone can comfirm what they are saying. If you know of a place that will convert our pool for cheaper. Do you prefer your saltwater? Anything you can tell me about your saltwater pool, I would appreciate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,791,770 times
Since a decent chlorine generator runs around $1000-$1100 the $1200 total is a pretty decent price but call around and get other prices.
It is a lot less hassle with a cholorine generator but it is not a saltwater pool. You may taste a slight hint of salt in the water but usually not.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,464 times
My brother converted his about 4 years ago. It is awesome, much better on the skin! He says it saves him a ton of money...he just throws in a bag of salt every once in a while. Most people I know that have them prefer them over chlorine.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:18 PM

917 posts, read 2,379,109 times
I used to take care of my own chlorine pool at a different house. Now I take care of a snow bird neighbor's salt water pool over the summers, and he lets us use it.

Very very easy to maintain compared to chlorine. (monitor salt level, and flush out the chlorine generator occasionally) And we really like the water.
Switching over is worth every penny! You won't regret it.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,250,185 times
Thanks for the encouragement! I was wondering if there were other chemcials that need to go in, or do I just throw a bag of salt every so often? Someone told me that you have to add calcium occasionally. It just seemed like we are replacing the frequent chlorine for salt and calcium and whatever else we need to put in. Is it really that much cheaper?

Where do you recommend having it done. Pinch-a-Penny wants $1,200.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 AM

316 posts, read 975,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I was wondering if there were other chemcials that need to go in, or do I just throw a bag of salt every so often? Someone told me that you have to add calcium occasionally. It just seemed like we are replacing the frequent chlorine for salt and calcium and whatever else we need to put in. Is it really that much cheaper?

Where do you recommend having it done. Pinch-a-Penny wants $1,200.
I have had both. To me they are both the same work, add salt vs add chlorine. IF you added PH or Acid before salt you still will after salt. One item I did notice - if you also have a hot tub or water feature you will run through more salt - not a lot maybe a bag over a year. The reason is the air mixture added to the pool. For example I found that if my jets that were making the water bubble when the filter system was on were adjusted down a bit so you can 'see the water flow' without making it bubble my salt lasted much longer.

Price of salt vs price of chlorine - too close to call. Yes there is the 'how often you add it', but you add one to make the chlorine.... hmm...LOL. I did find you can use both, if you are 'caught' in the position of next to nothing level of chlorine just add the shock.

Also the unit they add does have adjustments - if you run it 'heavy' you'll be replacing it in a couple of years - learned that one the hard way.

We are looking at houses - if it's salt I'll deal with it, if it's not I'm not adding the unit.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM

154 posts, read 493,870 times
As someone was mentioning earlier, salt is much better for your skin and for your health. Breathing chlorine on hot days is unhealthy.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,791,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krulik View Post
As someone was mentioning earlier, salt is much better for your skin and for your health. Breathing chlorine on hot days is unhealthy.
The generator uses the salt to produce chlorine and the salt level in the pool is minimal so I don't think there is a great effect on your skin or health.

Ocean water has a salt content of around 35,000 parts per million. Humans have a salt taste threshold of around 3,500 ppm. Most chlorine generators require a salt content of 2500 - 4000 ppm in the pool. Mine works at around 2700 ppm. so you don't even realize there is salt there.

The only time you are exposed to a greater level of chlorine on a pool without a chlorine generator would be when you are pouring it in the pool or putting tablets in a dispenser.

When I had a pool without a chlorine generator I can't remember breathing in fumes.

That being said, I do like my pool with the chlorine generator. Much less hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay