Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 25,656 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Florida from the Kansas City MO area. We work and live in a suburb about 20mins from downtown KC. My question and problem- Pensacola or Tampa/Clearwater area? I have been to Pensacola before the hurricanes and loved it. The only other part of Florida I have been to is the Okeechobee area where family is (and that has been years). I need advice- which area is cheaper to live in? We will be transferring with the company we work for so, jobs are not an issue. I also have a background in the hotel business to fall back on. Colleges are an interest, I am finishing my degree and my 22yr old son and his boyfriend will be starting or returning to school. I know that the Tampa area is much bigger and busier, but is it better? What about day to day expenses? Are the beaches nice like they are in Pens? I know all towns/cities have good and bad areas, where do I not want to live? Any help or advice is appreciated, I have been reading all sorts of info on the web, I need honest thoughts from those who live there. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2FLO View Post
My family and I are considering moving to Florida from the Kansas City MO area. We work and live in a suburb about 20mins from downtown KC. My question and problem- Pensacola or Tampa/Clearwater area? I have been to Pensacola before the hurricanes and loved it. The only other part of Florida I have been to is the Okeechobee area where family is (and that has been years). I need advice- which area is cheaper to live in? We will be transferring with the company we work for so, jobs are not an issue. I also have a background in the hotel business to fall back on. Colleges are an interest, I am finishing my degree and my 22yr old son and his boyfriend will be starting or returning to school. I know that the Tampa area is much bigger and busier, but is it better? What about day to day expenses? Are the beaches nice like they are in Pens? I know all towns/cities have good and bad areas, where do I not want to live? Any help or advice is appreciated, I have been reading all sorts of info on the web, I need honest thoughts from those who live there. Thanks alot
Personally I think tampa is better, the beaches here have clear water (hence the name clearwater, fl), I dont remember the water being so nice up that high on the gulf. There are two good schools here, USF and University of Tampa to include a few junior colleges.

I have only been to Pensacola breifly, but without a doubt I prefer tampa. it is a little more pricey, but it is not anything like Miami. the weather is going to be nicer in the winter here. Money would make the difference in where you live. Renting or buying also makes a difference. the best advice I could give is narrow down the area you think you might want to live, and rent for a year while you fine tune your decision. North Tampa up by busch gardens is a good suburb area and that is where USF is. About 15-20 mins from downtown.

so i present these questions:

1. What is your Rent/Home cost budget

2. Where are you going to be working

3. How much are you willing to commute

4. Is being close to USF or work more important
-I say USF because it is a great state school, I have a feeling that where you would want to attend.

5. Are nightlife, social activities important?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 14,565 times
I'm actually planning on moving there in a year from Omaha with my girlfriend and having been researching for about a year now. Researched the the Tampa area mainly because the g/f is getting the nursing degree and USF is has the better medical school. We believe that the USF area is the best.. found the best reviews for properties are directly north of the USF campus.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 25,656 times
thanks, I will look into the USF area. I hope you and your girlfriend have a happy life together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay