Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,114 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what the heck is going on but crime is really on the rise, at least in my area. Just Monday night alone, we had 6 vehicle thefts/break ins in the Old Northeast. Apparently this is happening to cars that have are locked and have no valuables either in view, or not in view.

Out of morbid curiosity, I pulled up the 3 day report from crimereports.com. Keep in mind they are only partnered with St. Pete and Gulfport. Below is the map.

The disturbing part is that a lot of these crimes could happen to anyone- they're random thefts, break-ins, etc.

I'm ordering a couple of clubs for our cars tonight. An any time I'm awake in the wee hours of the morning I'm going to take a bit of a look outside and see if I see anything suspicious.

Have you seen an upswing in crime in your part of town?
Attached Thumbnails
Crime upswing-crime.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,891,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I'm not sure what the heck is going on but crime is really on the rise, at least in my area. Just Monday night alone, we had 6 vehicle thefts/break ins in the Old Northeast. Apparently this is happening to cars that have are locked and have no valuables either in view, or not in view.

Out of morbid curiosity, I pulled up the 3 day report from crimereports.com. Keep in mind they are only partnered with St. Pete and Gulfport. Below is the map.

The disturbing part is that a lot of these crimes could happen to anyone- they're random thefts, break-ins, etc.

I'm ordering a couple of clubs for our cars tonight. An any time I'm awake in the wee hours of the morning I'm going to take a bit of a look outside and see if I see anything suspicious.

Have you seen an upswing in crime in your part of town?
Crime is almost non-existent here in Oldsmar, however, as we visit other areas nearby I hear of diff incidents. I'm not surprised at all, for this is a sign of the actual situation nationwide.
I always wonder why people who have a garage, keep their junk in it , and leave their valuable car outside...
That way , if they have a garage , they would not have any problems with their automobiles....

Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Actually there were a few news reports that crime is down through out most of the Bay area compared to last year.
Not sure if the trend will hold but it would be nice.

Orlando has also seen a drop.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:11 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,579 times
Hmm...well-in Brandon we are having issues with break in's in homes during the day and car break ins at night. It usually happens really bad once a year, so this is nothing new to me, but I also think the economy and job losses is helping contribute to this...

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
It is "normal" to have crime up in a bad economy...people have less money and more people are in need of money...these 2 are the ingredients for crime to go up

Many people have lost their job and some have lost their homes due to that while others just lost their homes due to greed and lying on mortgage applications and now blaming others....these people are so used to getting everything for less of free just as they have been living for the last yr or longer....that is making a few percent of these people, doing what they never should do...and later blaming others for their situation.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
"I always wonder why people who have a garage, keep their junk in it , and leave their valuable car outside..."

Because Florida architects offer NO STORAGE HOMES for the normal people....you'll only find storage in upscale homes and sometimes those don't even have enough........apparently it is hard to figure that when you can't have a basement, your only other option is the attic!!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
"I always wonder why people who have a garage, keep their junk in it , and leave their valuable car outside..."

Because Florida architects offer NO STORAGE HOMES for the normal people....you'll only find storage in upscale homes and sometimes those don't even have enough........apparently it is hard to figure that when you can't have a basement, your only other option is the attic!!!!!!!!
Or a storage shed.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:02 PM

yeah, if I put a storage shed in our yard a few people would have a heart attack!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL That's funny! not to mention everything would be ruined unless I air condition it!!!!!
Maybe we should be allowed to keep our Christmas/Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations up all year, and what ever other holidays, put all the linens on the pool cage and the yard tools lined up by the driveway edge!!!!!! so then we can store less in the garage and maybe fit our cars in!!!!!!!!!! LOLOL

This is how Storage Facilities make their money, it is almost like a conspiracy between the builder/architects and these facilities..........

Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Is your garage air conditioned?

If your HOA does not allow sheds that would probably be something I would have considered earlier.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM

No...(well, if I count how many times I go in and out every day..................I guess that half the air from the laundry room goes in there.......LOL so it is 1/2 AC'd! LOL

but we don't have that much to store......we cleaned up all the junk and only kept what we actually use.....It would be nice to have an AC'd attic tho.......or just better insulated for the heat.....

I don't think personally I would want to have a shed....but I know many people do...the problem is that none of these new HOA'd places allow for that, they barely allow for fences.....which is ridiculous because no one has any privacy.......if you drive down Lutz Lake Fern you can see the back of the homes in Heritage Harbor and they all back to retention ponds and when having small kids,....you NEED a fence and the fences they allow there are a joke.........because 1. anyone can cross right over them, 2. the look terrible and 3. they offer no privacy or a sound barrier from all that traffic......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay