Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM

101 posts, read 530,143 times

Advertisements

This was news to me, so I figured I would pass it on.

Apparently all the parks in Hillsborough County are going to start charging a $2.00 admission fee to get in---this is a 'per car' charge---beginning November 1st (This does not include City of Tampa parks...I don't think...). Renting a shelter does NOT include "guest passes" for entrance that day, so if you're doing a function be sure to either remind guests to bring a couple of bucks, or arrange to pre-pay entrance for them.

Also, it's $107 for an annual family pass to the parks. You can get the form on their website (although I don't think I know anyone who goes to a county park 2+ times a week to make that anywhere near worth it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,579 times
This is ridiculous...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM

101 posts, read 530,143 times
I'm not overly thrilled about it either. I had booked a shelter for my daughter's birthday party, and now on top of the $75 rental fee I have to shell out another $50 just for my guests to be able to get in. Suddenly that "cheap" public park option isn't so cheap anymore.

I understand that budgets are tight and they need to do something in order to keep the parks open, but I have a feeling that this particular policy is going to backfire.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,342 times
I remember growing up in Long Island NY, all parks were a fee...the town parks you had to be a resident of the town fist of all in order to park or use any of the facilities; then there were the county parks and they were fee based; and the state parks always charged a fee to use them(alot more than just the small $2 per car they are charging for the county. If it means the park will be open at all times, and clean and safe, in these tight budgetary times, and instead of my taxes going up, im for it. Its sort of a 'pay per use' fee.

Im glad the city of tampa hasnt jumped on this, the city parks are still free and open to the public.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
I don't know, $2.00 isn't much. I went to Lithia Springs Park yesterday morning around 8am with a hot coffee. It was $1.00 to get in and and it wouldn't have mattered if it were $5, I was the ONLY person there. So quiet and peaceful... saw an awesome praying mantis sitting on the fence next to a tree, let me get right up to him. The river and the small springs were great as always... this was a great way to start the day.

There was no litter anywheres, not even a cigarette butt. Very clean. Easily worth two dollars... how much is a coffee at Starbucks or a burger anyways?

Before I went to Lithia I swung by Aldermans Ford Park to see if the bridge was done and the "trail" was reopened. It is. First went by the canoe launch area on the north side... then went into the main entrance. Workers were installing the two dollar ticket taker booth where the gates are.

Seeing as I am on a rare vacation I'm going to go back to Aldermans tommorrow morning and do the walk early. I work in an extremely fast paced high stress environment so, for two bucks, getting lost in nature for a couple of hours is the bargain of the day.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 37,643 times
that's crazy.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Do you have a link so I can see which parks are charging...thanks

Soon we probably have to start to pay for parking at the malls...as many things right now under this government who likes Europe so much...Obama stated he like the Dutch and German health care system so he probably likes the high taxes that comes with that too....over there you have to pay for every public restroom, every parking lot, etc...better enjoy it over here as it is as long as we can...or get rid of this government a.s.a.p.!

Btw....fees aren't called taxes, isn't that great for Obama, this way he can't say he is raising taxes on lower and middle class...but that are the people going to these parks, the rich have their own resorts...

Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Either charge users or raise already high property taxes. Someone needs to pay for maintenance and upkeep. Doesn't happen by itself.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,891,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I don't know, $2.00 isn't much. I went to Lithia Springs Park yesterday morning around 8am with a hot coffee. It was $1.00 to get in and and it wouldn't have mattered if it were $5, I was the ONLY person there. So quiet and peaceful... saw an awesome praying mantis sitting on the fence next to a tree, let me get right up to him. The river and the small springs were great as always... this was a great way to start the day.

There was no litter anywheres, not even a cigarette butt. Very clean. Easily worth two dollars... how much is a coffee at Starbucks or a burger anyways?

Before I went to Lithia I swung by Aldermans Ford Park to see if the bridge was done and the "trail" was reopened. It is. First went by the canoe launch area on the north side... then went into the main entrance. Workers were installing the two dollar ticket taker booth where the gates are.
I agree with T&C. This isn't much to pay for entrance to a park. A coffee at Starbucks is $4 and people still pay for it....
Seeing as I am on a rare vacation I'm going to go back to Aldermans tommorrow morning and do the walk early. I work in an extremely fast paced high stress environment so, for two bucks, getting lost in nature for a couple of hours is the bargain of the day.
I agree with you. Not much to pay ocasionally...

Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Do you have a link so I can see which parks are charging...thanks

Soon we probably have to start to pay for parking at the malls...as many things right now under this government who likes Europe so much...Obama stated he like the Dutch and German health care system so he probably likes the high taxes that comes with that too....over there you have to pay for every public restroom, every parking lot, etc...better enjoy it over here as it is as long as we can...or get rid of this government a.s.a.p.!

Btw....fees aren't called taxes, isn't that great for Obama, this way he can't say he is raising taxes on lower and middle class...but that are the people going to these parks, the rich have their own resorts...
This is $2.00 per vehicle up to 8 occupants... a quarter a head is pretty cheap. You'd (not you) use that much gas looking for a parking spot at the mall.

The parks in this area that are charging 2 dollars are Aldermans, Medard, Lithia... in other area's I think Brooker too...

I know "rich" people who enjoy Aldermans Ford Park... whats not to love young rich poor or old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: