Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 AM

254 posts, read 589,517 times

Advertisements

I admit I have not been following the Wesley Chapel Mall story. So apparantly, it's been delayed? I was shocked back when it was green-lighted to be built at all. The plan was basically to pave over and develop a wetlands area that is the basis for the Hillsborough River (or something like that) which is a source of water for the city of Tampa. I may be wrong in detail, but essentially, I believe that's basically the story. So, in the face of water rationing, fines for 'illegal' water use, occassional wildfires in the suburbs, ever expaning population growth, etc, etc, they say "Yup, it's OK to build over wetlands'!! I hope it never gets built. But then, it's a losing battle anyway. I have the great misfortune to have to work in New Tampa - a God awful, miserable, sorry suburb - and witness the ignorant destruction of wetlands daily. Swamps paved over for Wal-Mart parking, Home Depot parking, etc. Corporate campuses built over wetlands. They fill, pave and sod. Then, they pipe in water to irrigate the sod. But the water they use is coming from somewhere else, so isn't that a net reduction of water? Plus, the water sprays all over the Washingtonian Palms that line the roads in mindless monoteny, and then the trunks grow mold and fungus, because the palms are dry climate species. If they are not lining the roads with palms, they use oak trees that were farm raised and trucked in. So again, tear down the existing trees, grow trees on a farm somewhere withj, fertilized with pertochemicals, and watered with irrigation, then truck them up to New tampa to plant where the former trees were. Then water the hell out of the sod planted all around, and watch the mold grow on the oak tree trunks. It's all so contrived. I could tolerate it if it were smart. But it's so numbskull stupid. It appeals to the average newcomer who thinks 'oohh, palm trees'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,589,721 times
I have a hard time believing it is wetland for Hillsborough River which is so far away from this spot....

Does Pasco have to stop building a mall for their home owners for things in Hillaborough?

Maybe it has to do that Hillsborough wants to see sale tax go to hillsborough instead of people staying in Pasco to shop.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,566,420 times
Cypress Creek is a tributary of the Hillsborough River. The Cypress Creek Preserve was an environmentally sensitive ecosystem which has been irreversably upset by developers. I'm not opposed to new development (Hey, I'm a Realtor, what'd you expect?!? LOL); but what they did to the wetlands was ugly. Progress has been at a standstill over a year now, but there's some good information about the wetlands and history here --> Cypress Creek Preserve.

Maybe the developer will go bust and the county can buy back the land. Wishful thinking, I'm sure. Given the massive 54/56 apex at I-75 plus a mega mall, I feel badly for the people living in Seven Oaks. It's a beautiful community. Whatever the outcome, I'm certain the retailers at Groves and Wiregrass are doing the happy dance right now.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-12-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 07:12 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,589,721 times
I own a property in Seven Oaks and whatever happens with the mall, Seven Oaks is a great community with a great location...when the economy get's back in a couple of years somethingelse will come around...or maybe it will be a nice mall so we don't have to drive to Hillsborough County and we can keep our sales tax here...

Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Ha, you know OG's food is apparently frozen? At least at Carrabbas, everything is prepared fresh.

The thing I like about living in St. Pete is that there are lots of different cultural activities, and just lots of activities in general. Everything from classical music to the Saturday morning market. And there are nice neighborhoods nearby with a lot of history or high rise condos if you want to be right in the middle of it all. The downsides are crime, excessive homelessness, and poorer-than-average schools Oh well, I guess if there was ever a place to live that was *perfect*, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.
for the record olive garden food ISN'T frozen, and I'm saying this for a fact. I am in favor of adding an Olive garen to wesley chapel!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 AM

641 posts, read 1,016,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That is such an eye sore.........why the heck they need 10 years for that? wasn't that supposed to be left alone because it was wet lands or something nature protected?
This doesnt matter to them, as long as $$$ is on the line, they will destroy any environment to build build build

Old 11-12-2013, 06:09 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,773,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrensapp View Post
for the record olive garden food ISN'T frozen, and I'm saying this for a fact. I am in favor of adding an Olive garen to wesley chapel!
Did you really just replied to the 4 year old thread to say that???

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 AM

35,416 posts, read 20,786,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That is such an eye sore.........why the heck they need 10 years for that? wasn't that supposed to be left alone because it was wet lands or something nature protected?
eyesore> wow

Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,846,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
This doesnt matter to them, as long as $$$ is on the line, they will destroy any environment to build build build
What about where you live, shop and entertain/dine? That was environmental destruction at one point in time to build. Was that okay? Once you have yours than no one else should be able to have theirs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay