Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

WESLEY CHAPEL - The developers of Cypress Creek Town Center have asked Pasco County for an extra 10 years to build their mall and associated retail complex straddling State Road 56 at Interstate 75. The county Development Review Committee will consider the request at its meeting Thursday in Dade City

Developers ask for extra 10 years to build Wesley Chapel mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
What do you want to bet the county gives the developer anything he wants?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
That is such an eye sore.........why the heck they need 10 years for that? wasn't that supposed to be left alone because it was wet lands or something nature protected?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Wiregrass mall is like 5 minutes from there.........why do we need all these malls? why can't they build a theater or something culture related since there isn't anything around of that nature!!!!!!!!!!!?

They build these malls like they are Walgreens on every corner, expensive and always empty of customers and every time you need something the employees there move like snails!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I hope the mall will be nice and with different kind of stores and an indoor mall. Wiregrass is very nice if it isn't too hot or raining....

Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM

101 posts, read 427,576 times
Nice area......hope they dont build......I like looking at cows.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
In 10 years, maybe the negative environmental impact this has caused can be reversed.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Wiregrass mall is like 5 minutes from there.........why do we need all these malls? why can't they build a theater or something culture related since there isn't anything around of that nature!!!!!!!!!!!?
Every new development area I've seen in Florida for as long as I can remember has fit the same exact mold.

Spec home communities- poorly built homes, no trees, small yards. CHECK.
The usual array of chain restaurants. CHECK.
The usual array of chain retailers. CHECK.
Smaller storefronts in strip malls that force mom and pop businesses into conformity. CHECK.
Larger shopping malls with the same retailers as AnyMall USA. CHECK.
Huge parking lots that take forever to get in and out of, because everyone drives. CHECK.

And that is pretty much it. Whenever anyone tries to do anything slightly different- it is just that. Slightly different. For example, the little town square area in Westchase. Nice try, but no cigar.

The closest thing to "different" I've seen in FL is Celebration. To me, even though Celebration is essentially "more fake" (e.g. completely fabricated by one company), it looks "less fake" if that makes any sense at all. Overall they did a nice job with it.

People like the same old crap I guess. I always enjoy seeing an hour long wait to get in to an Olive Garden or Red Lobster. And people continue to move into the spec home communities, thus creating even more demand. I guess folks feel there is safety in conformity.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Every new development area I've seen in Florida for as long as I can remember has fit the same exact mold.

Spec home communities- poorly built homes, no trees, small yards. CHECK.
The usual array of chain restaurants. CHECK.
The usual array of chain retailers. CHECK.
Smaller storefronts in strip malls that force mom and pop businesses into conformity. CHECK.
Larger shopping malls with the same retailers as AnyMall USA. CHECK.
Huge parking lots that take forever to get in and out of, because everyone drives. CHECK.

And that is pretty much it. Whenever anyone tries to do anything slightly different- it is just that. Slightly different. For example, the little town square area in Westchase. Nice try, but no cigar.

The closest thing to "different" I've seen in FL is Celebration. To me, even though Celebration is essentially "more fake" (e.g. completely fabricated by one company), it looks "less fake" if that makes any sense at all. Overall they did a nice job with it.

People like the same old crap I guess. I always enjoy seeing an hour long wait to get in to an Olive Garden or Red Lobster. And people continue to move into the spec home communities, thus creating even more demand. I guess folks feel there is safety in conformity.

You summed it up nicely. Especially the hour long wait to get into an Olive Garden....LOL.

Someone mentioned adding some culture and building a theatre....LOL.

Somehow I just don't see many people here taking in a David Mamet play or night of classical music.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You summed it up nicely. Especially the hour long wait to get into an Olive Garden....LOL.

Someone mentioned adding some culture and building a theatre....LOL.

Somehow I just don't see many people here taking in a David Mamet play or night of classical music.
Ha, you know OG's food is apparently frozen? At least at Carrabbas, everything is prepared fresh.

The thing I like about living in St. Pete is that there are lots of different cultural activities, and just lots of activities in general. Everything from classical music to the Saturday morning market. And there are nice neighborhoods nearby with a lot of history or high rise condos if you want to be right in the middle of it all. The downsides are crime, excessive homelessness, and poorer-than-average schools Oh well, I guess if there was ever a place to live that was *perfect*, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay