Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:10 AM

158 posts, read 868,338 times

Advertisements

I was originally planning to move to Largo next spring. I noticed Seminole has decent schools too and I also noticed you get more for your $$ as far as homes are concerned.

Is there going to be a big difference in the cost of Home Owners Insurance?

Are there any other differences that might make me choose one over another?

I would love to hear all your opinions or any facts you guys might know about this

Thank You!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 06:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,680 times
I live close to both areas and don't see too much difference-sometimes I have to check to see which one I'm in when driving through-but then I haven't really explored either in depth. Largo is much larger, both have some very, very nice areas.
My perception is that Largo may have more areas of congestion, a few "rougher" neighborhoods .

Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks.

Our plan is to try to find a home to rent on a month to month basis until we find a home to purchase. A very nice person has also responded to my post in a PM and I guess I will have to check out the area and look good to make sure I am moving into a nice neighborhood. They gave some specifics of where to move which was very nice. Just like here Rockford IL. there are good and bad parts it helps to know where to start my search.

Right now I am leaning more towards Seminole.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 18,271 times
I live in Seminole and love it. Their school system is the best in the county
as far as parent involvement, donations, etc. No other school comes close to the number of volunteer hours for their schools. (Quadruple of most schools). Real Estate holds value better than most cities in the county, as a result of the school and community reputation. A very proud community and a very giving one. I moved here from Ohio and was looking for a place with that small town feel to it and I have not been disappointed.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,392 times
Osubest, thank you for the info on seminole. we too are considering a move to the area. we're a familiy of 4 with a 6 and 11 year old. we're looking to rent at this time. can you direct us to some specific locations within seminole that we should look at or avoid?

Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osubest View Post
I live in Seminole and love it. Their school system is the best in the county
as far as parent involvement, donations, etc. No other school comes close to the number of volunteer hours for their schools. (Quadruple of most schools). Real Estate holds value better than most cities in the county, as a result of the school and community reputation. A very proud community and a very giving one. I moved here from Ohio and was looking for a place with that small town feel to it and I have not been disappointed.
Thank you for your reply. I recently talked to a realtor in the area and she told me that Seminole is Pinnellas county and that all that county gets a list of 3 schools that you have to apply to and then they select one for you. Have you had or heard of any problems with this? I have 5 children. 3 of them school age and would like them to be going to the same school. Do you think that is likely?

I like the idea of a small town feel too. How long have you lived in Seminole?

Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,625 times
Default Moving to Pinellas county

I live in and own a business in Pinellas county.My impressions after a year and a half, are that Seminole is by far a better choice to live in, it is more of a bedroom community with not much commercial development, very few areas to shop. You generaly have to drive to Largo to do anything, it is very quiet and not nearly as much traffic as Largo or surrounding areas. The drawbacks are that you can expect to pay $1600+ a month for a 3 bedroom if you can find one! We moved to Clearwater to save $$$ on rents. We are waiting on the fence to buy a house because people who bought their house for $120,000 4 years ago are still holding out for $350,000 and not getting it. That market is long gone, it will be a while before people realize that and get real.
I come from the Las Vegas area and I am used to seeing new homes, shopping and developments, very shiny. It was a shock coming to Pinellas county and seeing most homes built in the 50's. Very energy inefficient. Power bills are about $300 year round for a 1600 sq.ft. house.
If I wanted a newer area of Florida I would consider Brandon or Bradenton FL. they have just gone through a housing boom and services and homes and businesses are newer. But I love this area(Largo/Seminole) I am staying and enjoying the Florida lifestyle, even if I dont live on the beach, its only 10 minutes from anywhere around here.
Also if your not waiting like I am then Largo has better home prices, though a little inflated.
Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck, enjoy Florida, we do!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,256 times
There seems to be literally dozens of mobile home communities in the Largo area, especially for age55+.

Not being familiar with mobile homes, other than seeing them torn to shreds by tornados, are these communities in Largo good places? Is there easy access to beaches in the Largo area?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,440 times
We should be moving down in that area pretty soon and since I have never been there I thought it best to ask you folks. How far is the Coast Guard/ Airport from Seminole, Pinella Park, and Largo? I know the airport is right next to South Highpoint but I couldn't find any forum discussions about the area. I have one toddler and an infant. If I'm to stay for a long period of time I'd like to buy in a decent neighborhood with a good school system. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM

60 posts, read 430,890 times
If I had to choose between Largo and Seminole, I would go for Seminole. Seminole is all very nice... a great family community. Largo has some very rough spots. But in all fairness, it has some very nice areas too! If you are hunting for price, you probably will be able to get more for your money in Largo. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay