Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 AM

27,207 posts, read 46,680,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Lol you are just making up silliness to be obstinate. The marginal cost of an individual user of disposable numbers is near zero. It's all automated. All it takes is to prevent one case of fraud and it's paid for that user at least a thousand times over.

As for your fear of stuff being stolen from your mailbox, that's penny-ante. The real money is in the databases online because the amount of work required to swipe a million CC#'s is not that much greater than the amount of work to steal one CC# from your mailbox. There are literally clearinghouses of stolen CC# databases on the darkweb where millions of CC#s trade hands regularly.

PS
That's funny. I just typed "shopsafe" into the main search box on BoA's home page, told it I was in florida and it came right up. So, google doesn't work for you, the link I provided didn't work for you and now the main page of BoA doesn't work for you. I think obstinate may be too kind.
Thanks I just looked it up and I noticed it...the more safe we can be the better. I will have to look more into it and how much it cost (maybe free, Idk). Weird that both the premier banking manager, the call enter, all hadn't heard of it, probably not a popular item.

I'm asked all the time by the bank to sign up to prevent my self for id theft which cost money and even the guy who is advertising on tv for people to sign up with his company was a victim him self after he already had his own product ...that is how much I trust that product.

Being pro active on your own end, and indeed empty your mailbox asap if possible can help you avoid being a victim because the small local criminals go for that...what you are talking about is the organised crime and for a single person it is hard to protect you from that since the big companies can't even do it them self.

To me one of the most craziest things in the US is that wherever you go they ask for your SSN which makes a person vonarable for id theft.
They should give people a different # that is linked by security.

In Europe we also have a personal id # given at birth but aside from the IRS, it is hardly ever asked, which to me is how it should be, neither do I have to show my DL so much as over here...computers in hospitals are linked with doctor offices and pharmacies and they all can see the medication so drug shopping around is hardly possible and you go by your ins. #....not your IRS/SSN number, which makes the id thet way lower. Of course over there they have other issues, but that part makes sense to me and is easier than filling out everything over and over at any new medical place and saves a lot of time.

Also not being able to use more than your cc limit and more than is in your checking account limits what a thief can get from you after they copied your debit or cc. The skimming ofyour card is huge in Europe so that is bad, but also most victims are the once who hardly pay attention when being at an ATM. In a restaurant you are basically a easy target for a person intending to do wrong and there isn't much you can do, other than paying cash.

Maybe penalties should be harder for the person's doing it and by awarding them the social free system for people who can't afford to pay into the system due to their criminal past and not able to get a job, is very wrong and only stimulating the lazy and people who want to get a free pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 AM

515 posts, read 1,179,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
To me one of the most craziest things in the US is that wherever you go they ask for your SSN which makes a person vonarable for id theft.
They should give people a different # that is linked by security.
It isn't the asking for SSN that makes you vulnerable to ID theft, it is all the other groups that think merely knowing someone's SSN is enough to prove that you are that person which are the problem.

Any system that relies on one number to both identify you (like a username) and authenticate you (like a password) can have no real security.

And, for what is it worth, in almost all cases, the term "identity theft" is just a way for big institutions like banks to pass off their own problems with fraud as being the customer's problem. Your identity was not "stolen" - the bank, or whoever, just failed to properly verify that someone claiming to be you really was you.

The whole "pass the blame" mentality is why recovering from a case of identity theft is such a massive PITA for the people who have been impersonated. The onus should be on the banks and similar to take responsibility for their own business process failures, not the person who, in many cases,has never even had a single contact with the bank before.

Of course, knowing the way it works in the modern world, the banks will just push the work off on the government and we'll get some system that is excessively intrusive, only partially effective and the banks will get a new law absolving them of any responsibility.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,452,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGood View Post
I am trying to track down the person(s) responsible for stealing my credit card information when I went to eat in Ybor. I never go out and I never use my credit card, has anyone else had this problem or issue? The made a purchase at "Miraflor Flowers" in Miami. If ayone else had this problem?
I've only had it happen once. I'd much rather use a CC then a debit card for transactions these days. I'd hate to get my checking cleaned out.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,452,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
That happend to a friend of mine in NJ. Her and her husband ate at a restaurant and the next day, the credit card company called them with excessive use. Someone from the restaurant stole their number then went shopping.
Well at least they were able to trace it back to who probably did it. These thieves are pretty stupid, as they will start using the card number immediately.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 AM

27,207 posts, read 46,680,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Well at least they were able to trace it back to who probably did it. These thieves are pretty stupid, as they will start using the card number immediately.
So true. I hardly ever heard of smart criminals...most of them get caught and enjoyed the good time for such a short time frame and than have to pay the hard way...for most of them their "life" is over, since they hardly can get a job, etc...

Not long ago I saw another scam...people buying IPod's and returning the package by putting something of the same weight in it, sealing it like it was new and returning it for money and than selling the IPod on Ebay. A mother and grown up son were arrested for having done this many times over...Very sad how stores and we as customers have to pay for all this in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: