U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 3,116,015 times
Reputation: 794

Advertisements

Link: Rising unemployment taxes could hinder hiring - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_bi_ge/us_unemployment_taxes - broken link)

"Florida's minimum unemployment tax, for instance, will skyrocket next year to $100.30 per employee from $8.40. The maximum will rise to $459 per worker from $378.
Hawaii will raise its average unemployment tax 10-fold next year, from about $90 per employee to more than $1,000.
Maryland's minimum tax will more than triple from $51 per employee to $187. Its maximum will jump from $765 to nearly $1,150."


Considering other states are charging $1000(like HI) or $1150(like MD) next year, it seems FL will still fall short of collecting enough money in the unemployment fund even with the increase to $459..

Shouldn't FL collect more money from employers in good times so we can soften the recession blow among its citizens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 AM
 
515 posts, read 1,093,382 times
Reputation: 410
Cost of living in Hawaii is significantly greater than in Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM
 
17,817 posts, read 22,687,173 times
Reputation: 36181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: Rising unemployment taxes could hinder hiring - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_bi_ge/us_unemployment_taxes - broken link)

"Florida's minimum unemployment tax, for instance, will skyrocket next year to $100.30 per employee from $8.40. The maximum will rise to $459 per worker from $378.
Hawaii will raise its average unemployment tax 10-fold next year, from about $90 per employee to more than $1,000.
Maryland's minimum tax will more than triple from $51 per employee to $187. Its maximum will jump from $765 to nearly $1,150."


Considering other states are charging $1000(like HI) or $1150(like MD) next year, it seems FL will still fall short of collecting enough money in the unemployment fund even with the increase to $459..

Shouldn't FL collect more money from employers in good times so we can soften the recession blow among its citizens?
That would be proactive...planning ahead...not allowed in FL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 3,116,015 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Cost of living in Hawaii is significantly greater than in Florida.
Florida has significantly higher unemployment and foreclosure rate than Hawaii and this warranty having to put/collect more money into the unemployment fund..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,275,741 times
Reputation: 6048
I don't think it's fair to tax employers on a "maybe".
The recession, like everything else, could have been expected, it happens in cycles, but to tax in advance "because we may need it someday" is not fair to the employers. That's like the IRS saying "You may make more money next year, so pay the tax on it now".



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: Rising unemployment taxes could hinder hiring - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_bi_ge/us_unemployment_taxes - broken link)

"Florida's minimum unemployment tax, for instance, will skyrocket next year to $100.30 per employee from $8.40. The maximum will rise to $459 per worker from $378.
Hawaii will raise its average unemployment tax 10-fold next year, from about $90 per employee to more than $1,000.
Maryland's minimum tax will more than triple from $51 per employee to $187. Its maximum will jump from $765 to nearly $1,150."


Considering other states are charging $1000(like HI) or $1150(like MD) next year, it seems FL will still fall short of collecting enough money in the unemployment fund even with the increase to $459..

Shouldn't FL collect more money from employers in good times so we can soften the recession blow among its citizens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 3,116,015 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I don't think it's fair to tax employers on a "maybe".
The recession, like everything else, could have been expected, it happens in cycles, but to tax in advance "because we may need it someday" is not fair to the employers. That's like the IRS saying "You may make more money next year, so pay the tax on it now".
No one is asking to tax or take anything in advance.

If your bank account is in the negative, what do you do? you add more money to it..that's all there is and that's exactly what FL state needs to be doing. but if you don't collect adequate money and put them into the unemployment coffer then its the citizens who suffer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
 
17,817 posts, read 22,687,173 times
Reputation: 36181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
No one is asking to tax or take anything in advance.

If your bank account is in the negative, what do you do? you add more money to it..that's all there is and that's exactly what FL state needs to be doing. but if you don't collect adequate money and put them into the unemployment coffer then its the citizens who suffer
It was on the news that the state of FL uses a 30yr old main frame on the verge of collapse for those needing UE benefits.

Wait till it crashes and people can't call in or go online to open a new claim or report in so they can get their check.

FL also pays out one of the lowest UE benefits in the country. The max is $275 a week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 AM
 
316 posts, read 978,363 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Florida has significantly higher unemployment and foreclosure rate than Hawaii and this warranty having to put/collect more money into the unemployment fund..
sounds like a business problem not a social problem. Perhaps if the businesses in this state were truely competitive all this would fix itself, however the ones I have seen are 'backwoods'. I've watched one Florida based lrger company go through layoffs due to the economy I'm simply amazed. I had no choice but to label it 'Cracker Logic" they literally cut their own throats in their layoff logic.

I refuse to work for any Florda based organization unless it's a select few and at that I'd probably opt for subcontracting to them instead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,275,741 times
Reputation: 6048
Actually its more like 35 years old. Its an IBM. Yes, low unemployment compensation rate. Ridiculously low. What is your point?

It's not on "the verge of collapse". It is, just like many other states, overwhelmed with the amount of data it must compute due to the unrealistically high unemployment rate which stayed around 4.4 for a long time until the recession tripled it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It was on the news that the state of FL uses a 30yr old main frame on the verge of collapse for those needing UE benefits.

Wait till it crashes and people can't call in or go online to open a new claim or report in so they can get their check.

FL also pays out one of the lowest UE benefits in the country. The max is $275 a week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,275,741 times
Reputation: 6048
If income decreases the ability to pay salary drops accordingly. You start cutting back on the staff. How is that "cracker logic"? Should they do like the big boys up North and apply for federal bailouts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
sounds like a business problem not a social problem. Perhaps if the businesses in this state were truely competitive all this would fix itself, however the ones I have seen are 'backwoods'. I've watched one Florida based lrger company go through layoffs due to the economy I'm simply amazed. I had no choice but to label it 'Cracker Logic" they literally cut their own throats in their layoff logic.

I refuse to work for any Florda based organization unless it's a select few and at that I'd probably opt for subcontracting to them instead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top