U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,116,015 times

Advertisements

Link: Rising unemployment taxes could hinder hiring - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_bi_ge/us_unemployment_taxes - broken link)

"Florida's minimum unemployment tax, for instance, will skyrocket next year to $100.30 per employee from $8.40. The maximum will rise to $459 per worker from $378.
Hawaii will raise its average unemployment tax 10-fold next year, from about $90 per employee to more than $1,000.
Maryland's minimum tax will more than triple from $51 per employee to $187. Its maximum will jump from $765 to nearly $1,150."

Considering other states are charging $1000(like HI) or $1150(like MD) next year, it seems FL will still fall short of collecting enough money in the unemployment fund even with the increase to $459..

Shouldn't FL collect more money from employers in good times so we can soften the recession blow among its citizens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 AM

515 posts, read 1,093,382 times
Cost of living in Hawaii is significantly greater than in Florida.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM

17,817 posts, read 22,687,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: Rising unemployment taxes could hinder hiring - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_bi_ge/us_unemployment_taxes - broken link)

"Florida's minimum unemployment tax, for instance, will skyrocket next year to $100.30 per employee from $8.40. The maximum will rise to $459 per worker from $378.
Hawaii will raise its average unemployment tax 10-fold next year, from about $90 per employee to more than $1,000.
Maryland's minimum tax will more than triple from $51 per employee to $187. Its maximum will jump from $765 to nearly $1,150."

Considering other states are charging $1000(like HI) or $1150(like MD) next year, it seems FL will still fall short of collecting enough money in the unemployment fund even with the increase to $459..

Shouldn't FL collect more money from employers in good times so we can soften the recession blow among its citizens?
That would be proactive...planning ahead...not allowed in FL.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Cost of living in Hawaii is significantly greater than in Florida.
Florida has significantly higher unemployment and foreclosure rate than Hawaii and this warranty having to put/collect more money into the unemployment fund..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,275,741 times
I don't think it's fair to tax employers on a "maybe".
The recession, like everything else, could have been expected, it happens in cycles, but to tax in advance "because we may need it someday" is not fair to the employers. That's like the IRS saying "You may make more money next year, so pay the tax on it now".

Quote:

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I don't think it's fair to tax employers on a "maybe".
The recession, like everything else, could have been expected, it happens in cycles, but to tax in advance "because we may need it someday" is not fair to the employers. That's like the IRS saying "You may make more money next year, so pay the tax on it now".
No one is asking to tax or take anything in advance.

If your bank account is in the negative, what do you do? you add more money to it..that's all there is and that's exactly what FL state needs to be doing. but if you don't collect adequate money and put them into the unemployment coffer then its the citizens who suffer

Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM

17,817 posts, read 22,687,173 times
Quote:
No one is asking to tax or take anything in advance.

If your bank account is in the negative, what do you do? you add more money to it..that's all there is and that's exactly what FL state needs to be doing. but if you don't collect adequate money and put them into the unemployment coffer then its the citizens who suffer
It was on the news that the state of FL uses a 30yr old main frame on the verge of collapse for those needing UE benefits.

Wait till it crashes and people can't call in or go online to open a new claim or report in so they can get their check.

FL also pays out one of the lowest UE benefits in the country. The max is $275 a week.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 AM

316 posts, read 978,363 times
Quote:
Florida has significantly higher unemployment and foreclosure rate than Hawaii and this warranty having to put/collect more money into the unemployment fund..
sounds like a business problem not a social problem. Perhaps if the businesses in this state were truely competitive all this would fix itself, however the ones I have seen are 'backwoods'. I've watched one Florida based lrger company go through layoffs due to the economy I'm simply amazed. I had no choice but to label it 'Cracker Logic" they literally cut their own throats in their layoff logic.

I refuse to work for any Florda based organization unless it's a select few and at that I'd probably opt for subcontracting to them instead.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:14 AM

Actually its more like 35 years old. Its an IBM. Yes, low unemployment compensation rate. Ridiculously low. What is your point?

It's not on "the verge of collapse". It is, just like many other states, overwhelmed with the amount of data it must compute due to the unrealistically high unemployment rate which stayed around 4.4 for a long time until the recession tripled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It was on the news that the state of FL uses a 30yr old main frame on the verge of collapse for those needing UE benefits.

Wait till it crashes and people can't call in or go online to open a new claim or report in so they can get their check.

FL also pays out one of the lowest UE benefits in the country. The max is $275 a week.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM

If income decreases the ability to pay salary drops accordingly. You start cutting back on the staff. How is that "cracker logic"? Should they do like the big boys up North and apply for federal bailouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
sounds like a business problem not a social problem. Perhaps if the businesses in this state were truely competitive all this would fix itself, however the ones I have seen are 'backwoods'. I've watched one Florida based lrger company go through layoffs due to the economy I'm simply amazed. I had no choice but to label it 'Cracker Logic" they literally cut their own throats in their layoff logic.

I refuse to work for any Florda based organization unless it's a select few and at that I'd probably opt for subcontracting to them instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: