Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 AM

93 posts, read 258,292 times

Advertisements

Our family is seriously considering moving to Palma Ceia (south of the country club, near Bay to Bay and MacDill). We have seen the area on numerous house hunting and other trips -- and we really like the residential areas. But it would be great to get impressions and insights from the folks here, especially if you know south tampa well.

Most of what I've heard from locals is positive... but I am interested in any drawbacks that aren't obvious to a transplant; or things to be mindful of. Many have suggested that Palma Ceia is way overpriced (still well over 200/sq. ft. for most good homes even in this housing "crisis"). And possibly too congested and "urban" for a family with kids. Also is safety/crime a concern near the major arteries? Is it a far cry from Hyde Park or Bayshore Beutiful, or are there people who would choose Palma Ceia to raise a family even if the costs were the same?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Yes, lots of Palma Ceia is expensive. Palma Ceia is very similar to Hyde Park and Bayshore Beautiful, just with a country club. Crime is very minimal, but it usually consists of car break-ins or home break-ins during the day. A lot of the Palma Ceia residential streets are pretty narrow, and traffic on the main streets can be heavy at rush hour, but it really isn't that bad. I don't know how "urban" is a bad thing. Palma Ceia is no inner-city neighborhood. Sure, it is more dense than a suburb, but that has benefits, like being able to walk places.

The only other "hidden" problem is that lots of roads in South Tampa flood during heavy rains. The strip of Dale Mabry between Neptune and Plant High School is one section of road that comes to mind. Other than that, if you can afford any neighborhood in South Tampa, go for it.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Palma Ceia is one of my favorite Tampa neighborhoods...lots of historic homes, brick streets, and the roads surrounding the neighborhood are mostly tree lined two lane streets...MacDill and Bay to Bay area is known as the Palma Ceia Design District, there are some great cafes, restaurants, art studios, galleries, and shops/retail. I have several friends that live in that area, one with two kids, and they love the area...close to everything downtown has to offer, older, mom and pop type places, Bayshore Blvd is there backyard practically. Its not your typical cookie cutter gated suburban community, its an older City of Tampa neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the great input.

The reason I ask is that we are currently renting in New Tampa... and we absolutely hate it. Anyway, the change from New Tampa to Palma Ceia will likely be drastic, in a good way, but we want to prepare for other possible surprises.

feret - as far as the minimal crime you mentioned. Do you think it's considerably more than in a place like tampa palms? Also, one thing I do appreciate about the burbs is being able to return to a quiet home at night. It seems like Palma Ceia might be a naturally noisy place, due to the density.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
There might be a increase, but it would be negligible. Check out this map. It shows you the number of incidents that involved the police, and you can customize it to show only certain crimes. City of Tampa All Crimes for September 2009 You can see that almost all of South Tampa has the lowest amount of crime. You'll notice that Tampa Palms is the same way.

The thing about South Tampa is that, unless you're living on a side street a block or two from a bunch of bars (and that is pretty much relegated to a few blocks on Howard Avenue and Platt Street), the neighborhoods are pretty quiet by 10PM, and definitely by 11PM. I know that the neighborhood group for New Suburb Beautiful has the police occasionally drive up and down their streets just in case anything suspicious is going on. Occasionally you might hear a car with a thumping stereo, but that's not really a big deal.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
I will say that unless you live off the main streets in Palma Ceia like Bay to Bay, MacDill Ave, Swann Ave, or Dale Mabry...it is a very quiet area.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Palma Ceia has always ranked as my favorite neighborhood in Tampa. If I ever moved back to Tampa this is where I would want to live, it's beautiful. As far as it being "overpriced" - well, is it? If people are paying the price, then it's not overpriced. This is a primo location in Tampa, and it has always commanded higher prices. Apparently a lot of people think it's worth it to live there. I would far rather live in Palma Ceia than Hyde Park - Hyde Park is where there is more crime due to it's location, yet you pay as much or more for property there.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 AM

To be more specific, we are looking at a place about 2-3 blocks in from Bay to bay and Macdill. Hopefully it won't be too hectic around there at night.

Also, New Suburb Beautiful and Parkland Estates have a very different feel to Palma Ceia, in my opinion. I'm not surprised that the police patrol there more often. I think the increased cost in those neighborhoods results from a more "secure" feeling. Close to everything, but still more insulated in many ways.

gypsyschic - Surprised you believe that Hyde Park would have more crime.To me, the true Hyde Park is south of Swann, east of the Crosstown. In my visits to that area, I cannot imagine that there is any crime there. But MacDill - not so sure. The parts of Palma Ceia next to Dale Mabry are also not too convincing.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post
To be more specific, we are looking at a place about 2-3 blocks in from Bay to bay and Macdill. Hopefully it won't be too hectic around there at night.

Also, New Suburb Beautiful and Parkland Estates have a very different feel to Palma Ceia, in my opinion. I'm not surprised that the police patrol there more often. I think the increased cost in those neighborhoods results from a more "secure" feeling. Close to everything, but still more insulated in many ways.

gypsyschic - Surprised you believe that Hyde Park would have more crime.To me, the true Hyde Park is south of Swann, east of the Crosstown. In my visits to that area, I cannot imagine that there is any crime there. But MacDill - not so sure. The parts of Palma Ceia next to Dale Mabry are also not too convincing.
Well, bottom line, no place is guaranteed "crime-free". As a native born and raised in Tampa, Hyde Park used to be the absolute WORST area in the whole city for violent crime. Now today it is a trendy and expensive area, but the areas closer to Kennedy and downtown still have some issues, IMO. It's like that in almost any city where the once-bad neighborhoods gentrify, yet are still a bit too close to questionable areas.

I guess you could say parts of Palma Ceia are like where we live here in Whitfield Estates in North Sarasota - a beautiful, middle-class to upscale old neighborhood, but it is right off North 41 (Tamiami Trail). It is basically a safe neighborhood, but we get some light traffic noise from the highway, etc. This would probably equate to living near Dale Mabry, or MacDill I would think. You mentioned Parkland Estates - I really love that area, used to have friends there a long time ago, awesome neighborhood. I really also love the Ballast Point area.

JdValle - if it were me, I would HATE living in "New Tampa." I hate cookie cutter boring landcapes with gated developments and strip malls. I would rather live in a beautiful old eclectic neighborhood with character any day with mature landscaping and neat mom-and-pop businesses nearby even if it means living with the possibility of slightly higher crime statistics. Usually, the most crime you get in those neighborhoods will be criminal mischief or car burglaries. Just take steps to protect your property wherever you live.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: