Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,345 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

in some time i`ll move into Tampa Bay area for a new job challenge. I`m from Switzerland and just wanting to get a feelin` for my future home area.

I`m thinking about the Brandon, Valrico, Riverview area - somthing nice, sunny, green and quiet. Any good places here around you could recommend?

If there`s something to hang out around even better.

I`d appreciate any hints!

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:08 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Where (area) will you be working?
Are you young and single?
Do you like to go to bars to meet ppl?
What is your price range?

I imagine it is different here but there are areas that are geared more towards young professional singles and others for families.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 AM

206 posts, read 798,066 times
Switzerland has the highest salaries in the world. If you're bringing money with you I'm sure the exchange rates will be great.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Will work somewhere in the northern Gibsonton area - i prefer no to be too far from work as to avoid long stopngo traffic. Well...i`m still in the young 30s - will move as a single so far. You never know... Meeting ppl is one of my first thinkgs there as i`ll need quite some support - but this is not the only thing to look 4 friends.

Well...actually i don`t have a lot of a clue of a price range. Something around upper middle class i`d say.

Thanks for your hints

Old 11-30-2009, 08:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Hello Nils
I think the area you are working in is probably not really where you might want to live. It's not very cosmopolitan and not close to areas to 'hang out' and meet younger people. Even though it may be a drive to the office, I would recommend you move to a more urban environment. I know you said sunny green and quiet, but sunny green and quiet in Florida is not the same as Switzerland. There are pockets of urban green and quiet and I strongly recommend you visit and take a good look around before you consider buying, in case you make a mistake that may be costly to you. There is not a lot around Gibsonton, and a lot of the developments have many foreclosure properties which may sound tempting as prices are low, but do you want to live in a place with no neighbors and a lot of negative aspects that go with that.

It's very different for us Europeans when we first move here, exciting and challenging, but make sure you get the best advice and work with someone who understands your perspective too.
good luck to you

Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Hello Nils
I think the area you are working in is probably not really where you might want to live. It's not very cosmopolitan and not close to areas to 'hang out' and meet younger people. Even though it may be a drive to the office, I would recommend you move to a more urban environment. I know you said sunny green and quiet, but sunny green and quiet in Florida is not the same as Switzerland. There are pockets of urban green and quiet and I strongly recommend you visit and take a good look around before you consider buying, in case you make a mistake that may be costly to you. There is not a lot around Gibsonton, and a lot of the developments have many foreclosure properties which may sound tempting as prices are low, but do you want to live in a place with no neighbors and a lot of negative aspects that go with that.

It's very different for us Europeans when we first move here, exciting and challenging, but make sure you get the best advice and work with someone who understands your perspective too.
good luck to you
I totally agree with this, and will add that Gibsonton is really not a very nice place to live - it is poor and run-down, with not much going for it.

Definitely look around a bit, I would think you might like a neighborhood in south Tampa.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Just to add a little flavor to the mix, the area in Gibsonton around the Alafia River has some really beautiful homes (upper middle class as you requested). There are also plans to build a community park next to the River at Boyette and US301 along with walking & biking trails. More info on the community plan here --> New Page 1. The plan has been approved and partially funded.

A little further east, you might like FishHawk Ranch. There are activities for all ages and there's always something going on at the Park Square town center. More info here --> FishHawk Ranch by Newland Communities | Lithia, Florida.

Just remembered Winthrop Village. It's still in its infancy, but the conceptual plan is very nice ---> http://www.dpz.com/project.aspx?Project_Number=9929&Project_Name=Wint hrop (broken link). Again, this has been approved as well.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-01-2009 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Edited to add Winthrop Village

Old 12-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the answers so far - it`s as always difficult to judge about something without knowing. I`ll be there for a couple of days next year to get an impression myself. The more i exclude now the more specific i can look later on. I have been quite ofteh to the US so i know a bit what i may expect and what not. And it is definitely different to Europe, right.

My plan is so far to rent an appt for the first month or two - giving me some time find a right place there. This will be when i defintely move in.

Anybody wanting to take me around there? Would be nice talkin to some locals.

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay