U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,507 times

Advertisements

i am looking to buy a condo - i see what appear to be nice waterfront (canal or lake) properties around 50-60k in the city. i would appreciate some ideas about where and where not to consider. no kids, single. i am moving from akron, oh - garden spot of the great lakes region. thanks in advance for any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,695,016 times
hmm not sure where tehse would be at that price. Are they over 55 communities?
Can you give locations it will help viewers to figure out where you are looking and whether its good or bad.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 PM

180 posts, read 405,261 times
I'm also not sure about that price point. Lots of properties have man-made "lakes".
That doesn't really make them waterfront. It's usually more of a big pond feature dug out by the builder, so they can call it "waterfront."

Things to consider:

1. Location as lavender stated - the most important aspect. Location determines value, both to you for now and for resale later.

What's the commute time from work and activities you enjoy? Close to the freeway, beaches, downtown St. Pete.

2. Is this a true condo construction, or a renovated apartment complex?
Big difference.

In my experience - Renovated apartments have thinner walls and cheaper construction in almost every area.

3. What is your monthly maintenance fee? Are there many units in default?
If there are many foreclosed units - your maintenance fees could very well increase.

Any new fees forthcoming? New elevators needed, new generators, building painting? These items could lead to special fees in the near future.

4. I always look at windows, especially in older buildings. Old leaky windows = massive energy bills in the summer. If you have to replace them - lookout for a massive expense.

5. Parking? Off-street, on-street, or reserved?
Being in a cool part of the city is nice, having to search for parking every day on a busy street - not so nice. Especially when you have a bunch of groceries to bring in.

I'd be curious to find out where a 50-60K condo is located. Over 55 communities are far less expensive, but I'd still consider all of the above. Maybe these have different rules and financial considerations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay