U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 PM

180 posts, read 511,334 times

Advertisements

Brandon has a ton of shopping, stores etc. Restaurants are pretty much chain but there are a lot. If you want to go to clubs, then you'll have to go downtown. But there are bars/pubs out in Brandon. If you're 22 yrs old you probably wouldn't like it. If you're 32 you might.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,993,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Here is everything you need to know about the music scene in the Bay area, its pretty big. Just check out the links below, there are calendars, listing of venues, artists, etc....

Soundcheck | Tampa Bands, Tampa Concerts, Music and More (http://blogs.tampabay.com/tbt/Artists/ - broken link)

Music | Creative Loafing Tampa | Music
I usually dont doubt what you say tampaguy, but the music scene in the bay area is pretty bad compared to the scene in many cities half the size. As musician (stictly playing for fun) I have been quite underimpressed with the music scene in tampa and clearwater. I have not yet been to st pete, which i hear is pretty good for music. I have seen musicians getting paid for what they would be booed off an open mic stage for in some cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
just curious....how far is Brandon from downtown and south tampa? Is it a nice area to live? much to do around there and amenities (stores, restaurants, shopping. movies etc)....or do you have to go downtown/south tampa for most of the "action" (lol)....
Most of the fun will be in south tampa (soho, hyde park), and westshore (Intl Plaza, Green Iguana x2, hula bay, etc)

as someone who lived in brandon for a year, I can say, DONT MOVE THERE AS A SINGLE GUY. i spent all my time in soho and westshore. Downtown itself doesnt have a lot going on. Channelside isn't really cool for locals IMO, unless you dont get out much. Channelside seems to be more touristy. Jacksons on harbour island is cool though.

while I do like soho, It will be hard to make friends there. A lot of the locals there are Tampa natives and are in cliques. Thats not to say you cant have a great time. there are some excellent spots down there. Westshore, to me, has a better singles scene for the "tampa transplants".

Brandon just straight up sucks for a single guy. there is a green iguana and an acropolis there, and a few other bars (o'briens, balukas, ale house, linksters) and they all pretty much suck big butthole, and that is putting it nicely.

Keep your search refined to South Tampa and Westshore. You can buy me a beer in thanks when you get here. I am telling you, I am saving you from misery. If you must live in brandon, it is only 15 mins from everything. The crosstown is the only reason i stayed sane for the year i spent out there.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 AM

238 posts, read 506,328 times
Thanks Craig....your posts are very thoughtful and certainly helpful to say the least

I was also curious if you have spent much time in Broward County and the Fort Lauderdale area....Tampa would be a new "check out" for me to consider, since i have never been there before...but i am very familar with Broward because my dad lives in the north end of it and have been visiting him for years....

I'm much older then you, but i am single...and though i love NYC i am growing weary of the cold...and sometimes the frantic pace gets to me a bit....i think i need the more relaxed, laid back and healthful warmer climate of florida....

i am actually a young retiree.....so of course i am also interested in the singles scene as well as lots of interesting stuff to do...nice stores, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, etc....
and hopefully without having to do extensive driving to get to...

Any opinions on the Broward County and Ft Lauderdale area? (as compared to Tampa) as far as living.....Basically i think i will be deciding between the two ) after i check out Tampa, of course

Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,993,877 times
No experience with the other places you mentioned. My father lives in boyton beach, i should go visit him and check out ft lauderdale.

when you visit tampa, look at soho but i would focus on Intl Plaza/Westshore. Soho is going to be younger crowds, mid 20s - mid 30s. I would say westshore is more late 20s - mid 40s. The biggest draw for me was the fact that everyone is a transplant. i have met new yorkers in bars there.

also... there are a lot of out of towners in on business, so there are always fresh faces

when you come to tampa, stay at the marriot rennasaince international plaza. it is right near the airport and some of the best night life and shopping in tampa is attached to the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Thanks Craig....your posts are very thoughtful and certainly helpful to say the least

I was also curious if you have spent much time in Broward County and the Fort Lauderdale area....Tampa would be a new "check out" for me to consider, since i have never been there before...but i am very familar with Broward because my dad lives in the north end of it and have been visiting him for years....

I'm much older then you, but i am single...and though i love NYC i am growing weary of the cold...and sometimes the frantic pace gets to me a bit....i think i need the more relaxed, laid back and healthful warmer climate of florida....

i am actually a young retiree.....so of course i am also interested in the singles scene as well as lots of interesting stuff to do...nice stores, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, etc....
and hopefully without having to do extensive driving to get to...

Any opinions on the Broward County and Ft Lauderdale area? (as compared to Tampa) as far as living.....Basically i think i will be deciding between the two ) after i check out Tampa, of course

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,811,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I usually dont doubt what you say tampaguy, but the music scene in the bay area is pretty bad compared to the scene in many cities half the size. As musician (stictly playing for fun) I have been quite underimpressed with the music scene in tampa and clearwater. I have not yet been to st pete, which i hear is pretty good for music. I have seen musicians getting paid for what they would be booed off an open mic stage for in some cities.

Sorry to hear you've had some bad music experience here in Tampa...have you checked out the local goings on at places like The Orpheum, Crowbar, Cuban Club, Czar, Blues Shark in Ybor City? Skippers Smokehouse in North Tampa? Ive seen some awesome local stuff and music of all kinds...and im not talking about cover bands....

Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM

171 posts, read 656,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
as someone who lived in brandon for a year, I can say, DONT MOVE THERE AS A SINGLE GUY. i spent all my time in soho and westshore. Downtown itself doesnt have a lot going on. Channelside isn't really cool for locals IMO, unless you dont get out much. Channelside seems to be more touristy. Jacksons on harbour island is cool though.

while I do like soho, It will be hard to make friends there. A lot of the locals there are Tampa natives and are in cliques. Thats not to say you cant have a great time. there are some excellent spots down there. Westshore, to me, has a better singles scene for the "tampa transplants".

Brandon just straight up sucks for a single guy. there is a green iguana and an acropolis there, and a few other bars (o'briens, balukas, ale house, linksters) and they all pretty much suck big butthole, and that is putting it nicely.

Keep your search refined to South Tampa and Westshore. You can buy me a beer in thanks when you get here. I am telling you, I am saving you from misery. If you must live in brandon, it is only 15 mins from everything. The crosstown is the only reason i stayed sane for the year i spent out there.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not single or a guy. I'm not looking to live in Brandon though. Thanks for the info. I find everything very helpful. My husband plays heavy metal so we are looking for a bar/club like that.
I also forgot to mention that he's white, I'm black and of course our kids are mixed. Is that an issue in those areas?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM

877 posts, read 1,702,893 times
DH is mixed and I'm white and we haven't had any problems at all in Tampa. We've lived in South Tampa and Riverview and as far as I can both are very well integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay