U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 11,215 times

Advertisements

I am living in Alaska with my husband and 2 kids..(1 yr old and 4 yr old)...We are planning on moving to Tampa. Anyone got any suggestions for a safe and clean place to live? I a looking for a 2 bedroom, something clean and not noisy. I am open to suggestions and advice. My husband owns his own business here as an IT consultant, and I am a substitute teacher here, which brings me to another question, how are the substitute teaching and it fields in Tampa?or even other parts of Florida/?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM

162 posts, read 612,581 times
It is tough to move here without a job, let alone apply and interview for one when not a resident. Many employers won't even look at an out of state resume given the onslaught of applications crossing desks daily. Even if you are a resident, the unemployment rate is among the highest in the country and Tampa beats the national average. There are more than 250 applicants for every teaching position. Many of the schools have cut staff and as a result many of those displaced teachers are now added to the substitution lines. The IT sector is no different. I know an IT manager receiving 50 applications weekly for each open position.

I wouldn't move without one person having a job locked in here - even if it means you have to live apart for a short period in order to manage the transition.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:50 PM

WOW it sounds impossible now, I really have been wanting to move to Florida, do u have any suggestions?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM

If Tampa is the area for you then have your husband apply for jobs and see where that goes before you start looking for neighborhoods. In this economy no one should be moving here without a job lined up. Unemployment in Tampa is nearly 13% and in Alaska I believe I read it's less than 9%. I personally believe that out of state resumes are not given as much consideration as local candidates - and that is also based upon what some manager friends have told us and what we were told before we moved here. My husband and I are both IT people, although I've chosen not to work since we moved. The higher paying IT positions limit you to the metropolitan Tampa area however the commute can be quite different coming from east, west, north, or south. Have him find a job first - that will be his biggest battle.

We were determined to move 4 years ago. We bought property here intially as an investment so at least we had a Florida address and purchased a cell phone with a Florida number that we could use on resumes. We knew that if an offer came through my husband would have to go within 2 weeks because it was assumed he was an in state resident. As it turned out his company was willing to transfer him but gave us only three weeks notice. We ended up living apart for 6 months while I sold the house, etc. Much depends on your financial situation. At the time we were in a position to take that chance and could have supported ourselves for a prolonged period without trouble.

At the moment there is an exodus of people out of Florida who came here without jobs or expected to make what they made elsewhere, gambled, and lost. Moving some place warm is not the answer to everything. Make sure your financial house is in order first and in this case a Florida job would be step one of that move process. It won't be easy but if it's what you want only you can decide if it's worth the work and effort.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:30 PM

Well, right now we do not own any property and do not have any real debt,
together we have about 15k saved up to move. I may as well start the job hunt then, I would not have a problem taking a small side job (no matter what it is) until things pick up, he does a lot of contract work with Dell and Sony, and even Onforce,
I have a question about the unemployment rate,
does that 13 % refer to people who are willing to go find work and have an education higher than bachelor degrees? or does that % include even people who just don't care to work,
I know in Alaska there are plenty of good jobs, but most people just like to leech off the government because it pays more to just leech. My husband and I are very motivated to work. I am not going to move until one of us has an actual job, maybe I will get a Florida number as well..I am 25 and have lived in AK for 22 years, im kind of at the end of my rope mentally. The winters are so depressing and drive people insane

Old 12-19-2009, 07:04 PM

While I don't know the breakdown, there are PLENTY of highly educated people here with a strong work ethic who are out of work and actively seeking employment.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks

Old 12-19-2009, 07:17 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,989,018 times
the unemployment rate is based on a federal standard. therefore, 9% in alaska is based on the same factors as 13% in Florida.

"
Unemployment occurs when a person is available and willing to work but currently without work.[1] The prevalence of unemployment is usually measured using the unemployment rate, which is defined as the percentage of those in the labor force who are unemployed. The unemployment rate is also used in economic studies and economic indices such as the United States' Conference Board's Index of Leading Indicators as a measure of the state of macroeconomics."

Unemployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep in mind, because unemployment is so high, you have very talented people waiting tables. I personally know two of them, one is an CPA, one has a masters degree in Political Science and speaks 3 languages.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM

274 posts, read 577,975 times
Me personally I would save up at least double if not more than your $15 k you have already saved up before moving. I work in IT also as a Network/Telephony Engineer with 12 yrs experience, great references and reference letters from previous bosses, and multiple high level certifications.

I lost my job in Tampa March 08' and looked for a job for months before my money got thin and I had to pack up and move to Atlanta GA. I was getting calls for jobs in Tampa/St. Pete, but they were for entry level Help Desk positions that paid $10-12 per hour that I refused to take because that would have been a bad career move and because they pay was about 1/3 of what I was making.

I don't know how well AK pays for IT work, but FL does not pay that well compared to a lot of places. When I moved from MI to Tampa, my first job I got in IT in Tampa started me out with the pay I was making back in 99' in MI. After about 14 months I was able to find a job that matched my skill levels more and I was finally making decent money. But when I moved up to ATL, I got a full time job within 6 weeks that started me out $22,000 more a year than I was making at my last job in Tampa and I am doing the same thing.

Before I moved from MI to FL, I spent 9 months applying for jobs. I did the online thing at every site I could find, I called recruiters, I called companies I researched, and I did not get even one call for an interview. When I went down to FL, I spent the first month being a beach bum (had money saved up to last me for a year) but once I had a FL address and phone number, I landed a job within 2 months.

If it is truly your dream to move there, just be patient and save up as much as you can. Will it be difficult, sure. Will it be impossible, no.

As far as your Husband goes, have him try going to www.yellowpages.com and under "Find" type employment agencies and "Location" put Tampa. It will give you a list of all the employment agencies/recruiting agencies. Not all of them will be in IT, but at least it will be a start. That's how I got my job in Tampa and how I got my job here in GA. That way he can talk to recruiters and let them know your guys' time frame for moving and know what his skills are.

I am currently saving up to move myself. I am a single guy, no kids, zero bills, my cars are paid off, I have zero loans, and don't even own a credit card anymore. I have been saving up to relocate since I moved here to GA. With it just being me, I am not leaving till I have $30-$45,000 saved up which if I stay on my budget will be around June 2010. If I had a family, it would be even more.

Good Luck!

Last edited by I_Want_Snow; 12-20-2009 at 12:10 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 06:32 AM

14 posts, read 26,620 times
I wouldn't bother to try to get a Florida cell number or Florida VOIP (i.e., Magic Jack) if you don't have a Florida address to put on your resumes and can't start in the same two week time period as a local. I've been informed by my company not to consider out of state applicants. Our HR department doesn't even pass them on to us. Also, our feet are being held to the fire as far as minimum requirements and preferred requirements. I can't hire someone without a college degree who is doing the same IT job as someone with a degree, has stellar recommendations, and is someone whose work ethic I know well - all because the job (according to HR) requires a bachelor degree. In the same token, I can not offer a position to those over qualified by education or experience for say an entry, junior, or mid level position. The philosophy there is that they will leave as soon as they find something better and the company doesn't want to "invest" in that employee.

Not everyone affected by downsizing is dead wood or looking to "just leech". Back when unemployment was in the single digits I was told the average time to find a job was 9 months. Now you'd be fortunate to find a job in 9 months. IT jobs do not pay what they pay elsewhere but the cost of living is certainly higher in other areas of the country.

What are your monthly expenses now? How far will $15K go for you today if you had no income. I would think most of it would be eaten up by healthcare costs with two young children. I don't think it would last you a year here if you ran into trouble.

Do you have friends or family in the area? Have you considered what it might be like if you have no friends or family in the area to be so far away with two small children? Read some of the other posts on this board. The grass is not always greener.

I don't think people here are trying to be downers. I think many of us are frustrated by the volume of people who thought everything would just fall into place for them and that they were somehow different than the rest. I believe that many of the successful (more recent) transplants here came from other areas of the country where they sold property for a considerable amount, downsized, and lesser salaries were then not a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or