Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 AM

425 posts, read 958,596 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Brooklyn,NY to Tampa sometime in the next 6 to 9 months. I am self employed and work from home, so commuting to work is not a major importance. However, I am a big sports fan and enjoy being able to have access to major sports venues.

I would not expect Tampa to have the public trasportation system of New York, that is very unrealistic, but is there any public trasportation to Tropicana Field, St. Pete Times Forum and Raymond James Stadium? I am use to not needing to drive, and do not mind travling for an hour or so by public transit to attend events (it currently takes me 40 minutes to MSG and about 1 1/2 hours to Citi Feild)

Also having the daily neccesities nearby (grocery, electronics stores and so on) nearby would be good to.

I would not be adverse to getting a car, but if I can do without a major expense, all the better.

From some basic research, Ybor seems to be located near downtown Tampa, how is that area.

I am 33, single male, looking for an apartment in the $700 - $1000 range. I currently rent a 1 BR in Bensonhurst / Gravesend section of Brooklyn for $785 (which is a great deal) what areas would locals recommend?

The brutal snowstorm has just added fuel to my desire to move! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 07:37 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Realistically? You might be able to get around via PSTA or HART (Pinellas and Hillsborough transit). I know someone who does, mostly, because she's legally blind. OTOH, it will take some serious planning to pull it off, something akin to the Invasion of Normandy.
How far are you willing to lug a couple bags of groceries from the bus to your house? Are you willing to stop travelling abroad after 10PM? Just a couple of things to think about.
I'm all about public transportation when possible-- I just don't find it to be something you can rely on 100% in the Bay Area. Maybe 75%. If you make friends who have cars, you might pull off the other 25%.

PSTA
HART - Hillsborough Area Regional Transit

Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Quote:
I would not be adverse to getting a car, but if I can do without a major expense, all the better.
You are going to want a car. The public transport here is really only used as a last resort. Many employers will not hire you if you don't have your own means of transportation. In the afternoon and evening hours during the summer there are daily severe afternoon thundershowers. Sucks to drive in it, sucks way more to wait on an unsheltered bench for your bus to show up.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Tilli, I would imagine that would suck! LOL

I figured it was going to be a semi-neccessity, there are very few citys that have superior mass transit, and as god awful as the MTA is here in NYC, it is still better then the options say in Los Angeles...lol

maybe I will invest in a Segway with built in umbrella! LOL

Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Well, Ybor does have a trolley that goes from there to downtown, not sure of the hours. Living around Ybor, downtown or south Tampa will probably be your best bet, amenities close by, and easier to take the public transit.

If Tampaguy03 sees your post, he can weigh in with specifics - he's our resident Tampa expert here!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Thnx for the info

Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 AM

39 posts, read 174,751 times
I would consider living in downtown St Pete. There is a grocery store downtown as well as a movie theatre and a number of night clubs. The Tropicana is within walking distance. Trolly service to the beach. You can rent a car if you want to go to the Tampa stadium or post on craigslist for a ride.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks, I am also keeping St. Pete in mind as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: