Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
VYS VYS started this thread

5 posts, read 11,308 times

Advertisements

We’re looking to relocate as a family to Tampa, We’re in London, UK right now and my hubby can’t stand the weather here.. He wants to get a job out there and hoping for a better lifestyle.. For us and our kids.. 3 & 1 yr old.. We’re totally new and don’t know anyone in the USA so we are little scared.. Any comments on Tampa, it's liefestyle? and advice / suggestions on where to move with kids with low crime and good education being our main criteria would be highly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 9,340 times
Default Also moving to Tampa

Hi there,

i`ll also soon move to Tampa, Fl. Would be nice to share some info - i`m also looking for ppl to make friends there. Let me know if you`d like to get in contact.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
For the kids, all I can really think is Lowry Park Zoo, and Busch Gardens. Good luck with the jobs out here though. They're not easy to come by.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
For the kids, all I can really think is Lowry Park Zoo, and Busch Gardens. Good luck with the jobs out here though. They're not easy to come by.
Wow, thats all you can think of? .....here are a few things that I do with the Niece and Nephews when they visit Tampa, besides above:

Aquarium
Beaches
Parks
Nature Walks/Hikes
Kayaking/Canoeing
Biking(On Road and Off Road trails)
Boating/Sailing
Fishing
Big Cat Rescue
Florida Heritage Center
Museum of Science and Industry
Great Explorations
Game Works(Ybor)
IMAX - Movies
Police and Fire Museums
Football/Hockey/Baseball games(college or pro)
Childrens Events/Shows at the various venues when they come through town

Im looking forward to the Childrens Museum opening next month in downtown for them.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
Point taken, but I'll throw two things out:GameWorks is in Ybor... Not exactly somewhere you'd take the kids to begin with. And Big Cat Rescue I've heard some Moderator cut: libel things about it's owner. But you're thinking outside the box. I like it.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-10-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 07:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,390 times
To the OP: have you considered visas to work in the US? I emigrated from the UK to Florida in '99 and had to go through all sorts of immigration red tape.

Here's a good web site for Brits looking to move abroad: British Expatriate Community : British Expat Community - British Expatriate Community.
They have a wealth of information and a very good forum. Let me just say that it's not easy to get visas to move to the US unless you can either:
1. Get sponsorship from a close relative that's already here
2. Get sponsorship from your current company for a position out here
3. Have plenty of $$$ to invest in a business or set up your own company.

If you're still interested and are legitimately in a position to move, I'd recommend New Tampa, Carrollwood or Brandon as places to consider living. And yes, there are plenty of things to do here with the kids!

The main drawback I've found to living here is the lack of public transport. Be prepared to drive EVERYWHERE. There is a bus network but the routes are very limited, and the buses are few and far between. Boy, I really miss the excellent London public transport system.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 17,843 times
I'm moving to Tampa too! We live nr Stratford upon Avon now and my husband starts work in Tampa on 5th Jan. Love to swap details and share any info you may already have!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM

58 posts, read 194,233 times
you'll love it, this has been the best move i've ever made.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 AM

13 posts, read 35,811 times
Hi we are also moving to Florida from Nottingham UK, looking more at Sarasota Bradenton area, we have just come back from 3 weeks out there looking at areas, houses, businesses etc, we have been planning and researching for a lot of years now so we are fine with lots of things,I am just hoping it's not too quiet for us as we still enjoy going out, we looked around Lakewood Ranch area and like it there seemed like there were a lot of young families does any one know this area? I am just getting VERY nervous about making the move now as it is all seeming very real, as we are putting our home on the market this month! We have 3 children a 12 year old a 4 year old and a 5m baby, I am very close to my parents and am also an only child, which is making this even harder on me although it is something we really want to do. How have you found it all being away from friends and family? I keep getting told that the 1st year is VERY,VERY hard I am so scared now. Can anyone give me some advise.

Thank you.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 AM
VYS VYS started this thread

5 posts, read 11,308 times
Wow, thanks for the great feedback guys.

The H-1B visa still appears to be elusive! My husband is able to practice Pharmacy in the USA but the Pharmacy groups and not sponsoring visas at this time. If anyone knows of a group that is sponsoring, we'd be ever so grateful.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay