Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,411 times

Advertisements

I need to find a really good mental health professional, I really don't know where to begin, I don't want to end up with a quack. I don't have any specific mental disorders nor do I want to get on any prescriptions. I was just thinking a good psychiatrist could help me figure out what kind of career I should be in, the schooling I need, and maybe even where I want to live. I'm the youngest of the family and they all feel they know what I need. But I realized that their advise is based on their own situation in life.

Anyway I thought I'd ask. I could get health insurance through work to cover the shrink too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
JobHuntersBible.com: Counseling, Testing & Advice

Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 AM

Counseling, Coaching & Mentoring: The Riley Guide

http://nbcc.org/directory/FindCounselors.aspx

Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I need to find a really good mental health professional, I really don't know where to begin, I don't want to end up with a quack. I don't have any specific mental disorders nor do I want to get on any prescriptions. I was just thinking a good psychiatrist could help me figure out what kind of career I should be in, the schooling I need, and maybe even where I want to live. I'm the youngest of the family and they all feel they know what I need. But I realized that their advise is based on their own situation in life.

Anyway I thought I'd ask. I could get health insurance through work to cover the shrink too.
I was in your situation once, joined the Army, made rank, saved a lot of money, traveled, had a decent career, became educated in my chosen field, did a lot of things, saw a lot of things. Lived through it all, retired on a decent pension, health care coverage, etc.

Might be something you consider.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 AM

190 posts, read 493,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post

If you are searching for mental health professionals who tend to look beyond the individual and focus on systems issues and empowerment, I suggest that you consider a social worker or LCSW who specializes in career counseling. Not all psychiatrists and psychologists tend to recommend medication, but a few incompetent mental health professionals will do just that without assessing other factors in your life, such as dissatisfaction with a career. If you are feeling very down in the dumps, however, a referral to a psychiatrist may be appropriate. A social worker should be able to make that determination with you. Also, there is a lot of stigma associated with seeking assistance. Don't let that bother you. Everyone needs someone to bounce ideas off of from time to time.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:05 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Some people are occupationally luckier than others. Some know just what they want to be when they grow up. They find a career, they focus upon it, they forgo distractions to it, they excel at it. Others pick a career they think they will like or at least one that keeps them from doing what they'd like less. Probably most others find a job they can tolerate and they may or may not do well at it but it gets them through life nonetheless.

I'm getting ready to start my third career, having spent 10 years in construction and 20 in publishing. I'm going back to school for another degree or a certificate and I'm considering possibly teaching little kids or taking care of the more elderly even than me.

Earlier in life I used to see a psychiatrist who later became my very good friend. So much cheaper discussing my problems over beer and billiards (he was actually quite a good shot). My counselor who became my dear friend had a few careers over his 80 plus years (I've since lost him, naturally). He started as an English teacher (his native tongue was Spanish), then he became a doctor, then a psychiatrist, then a psychology teacher, then he went back into practicing psychiatry. He was one of the most interesting people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and he helped me through some rough years, including my mother's bout with Alzheimer's Disease.

From reading your original post, it sounds like you have some confusion as to whether or not you are dealing with emotional problems or issues of career guidance and possibly both are involved. A career is just what you do during the day. How you get through that day is another issue entirely and a counselor can be helpful if you are trying to figure that out.

As to not getting stuck with someone who won't be helpful, that's easy. Just try a few of them until you find a person you click with. Don't feel obligated to stick with the first shrink you find. I forget what movie but I recall a funny scene with this woman who always sought out counsel but never went to the same shrink twice. So of course there's this one act where it turns out she didn't remember talking to this one shrink she's seeing for a session. When he reminds her she continues the session but admonishes the shrink by reminding him that she won't be back "a second time" to see him.

Anyway, point being that you shouldn't let your apprehension of winding up with a lousy person scare you. You'll figure it out and move on from there to someone who will be more helpful.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 AM

216 posts, read 829,287 times
All colleges & universities have career counseling centers for their graduating students. Often they allow non-students to use their services. I went to one of these some years ago when I lived in NY. There was a fee involved - but I don't remember how much it was.

I was assigned to one of the counselors. He gave me a battery of tests; aptitude, interest inventory, personality profile etc. The point of this was to help determine where my strengths were, what my interests were and for what types of careers did I have the appropriate personality type. It also revealed what areas to avoid. It was incredibly helpful and something you might consider. Check with colleges in the area; compare prices, etc.

One other thing, and this is my opinion only. It sounds like you need career counseling; not psychiatric counseling. Going to a psychiatrist for career counseling is a waste of time. They will focus on your mental state; i.e. what mental problems are causing you to have trouble deciding your path, and more likely than not they will find a diagnosis for you and get you on medications. I don't think that's what you're after.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 AM

I always love these threads where OP asks a question and you never know if he/she even read the responses.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Agreed and one reason I don't get as involved with online forums as I'd like. I had one recently (not this one) where I stupidly bothered to look up some research I had done to share with the OP. Not a thank you, no acknowledgment, no nothin. I'm pretty sure these types are just users in real life too.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM

This thread in particular had some very good answers: maybe useful to others who are in the same life situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay