Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 14,759 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are contemplating a move to the Tampa area. Have read through hundreds of post and found many usefull as well as other research on the area, but many comare it to places I have never lived or even been. Wondering if there is anyone living there who moved from or has lived in Louisiana and would give me their opinion on the switch. We live in Shreveport Louisiana with all the heat, humidity and mesquitos already--just no interesting terrain and not much culture here in north Louisiana. We are both 30, she works in Childrens/Science museums and I am a parts manager at a Harley Davidson dealership. Of course looking at the move for the weather and beaches, but another big part of it is the outdoor activities available there (kayaking, scuba, exploring in our jeep, etc...).

Just wanting some comparisons we may be more familiar with.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
I've never been to Shreveport, but it sounds like the move might suit you well. Bike Week in Daytona, Thunder Beach in Panama City twice a year and in fact a new H-D dealership is to go up in Panama City Beach soon. You probably already know this stuff...

Any where along the Gulf is SCUBA friendly. Divers love the keys.

Exploring in an open Jeep???

Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
I have driven through Shreveport many times...and I have to say, I had no desire to even stop there for gas. No offense. Louisiana hit the top of my list of "most boring states to drive through", and ranks right up there with northern Texas, Oklahoma, and the desert stretch between Lancaster and Victorville in California.
Lots of Harley Dealerships out here. Motorcycles abound because of the amazing weather here in Tampa. We have the heat and humidity here too, but being surrounded by water is the best relief. If you move out here, you MUST have a boat or a jet ski. They make the summer much more tolerable.
Kayaking and Scuba? MAAAANY places to do that in the region. Rainbow River north of Tampa is one of the best kayaking spots in all of Florida. SCUBA is best in the springs up north of us, since the gulf can be kind of boring and visibility is spotty. But in 5 hours you can be down in Key Largo, which is a SCUBA diver's paradise.
Exploring in your Jeep, not so much. Florida, like Louisiana, is flat and unremarkable. My idea of Jeeping is going to a place like Moab Utah and exploring the back country for a couple days. Florida's idea of "hiking" and "exploring" is nothing like what it's like out west. I think you can compare it to a Disney vacation- you can go "camp" at Wilderness Lodge in Disney, with a paved campsite and hot/cold water and electrical outlets, or you can hoof it into the backcountry somewhere with a tent, camp stove, and matches. If you like the "Disney" type of exploring, Florida is fine for that. But if you REALLY want to Jeep, hike and explore, forget it. Stick to boating, diving and the basics. Anything deeper than that, and you need to focus out west.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
One of the more fun places to go boating is the Hillsborough River. Definitely worth a few trips. Outside of that, Lake Tarpon (on the way to Tarpon Springs) is one of the better fishing places for bass. The Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs might suit your fancy. Tampa is also close to Homosassa Springs which is a beautiful spring area, and in the winter, the manatees come out. As far as Harley goes, they have a dealership right there on Dale Mabry Hwy (around the Community Hospital). As for the childrens/science museum, MOSI is the place for that. It's actually a lot of fun also. Aquarium, Lowry Park Zoo, Busch Gardens wrap up the outdoor zoo-ish type things to do. Yes, there's bike week in Daytona, if you feel like driving that far. There also used to be a bike week in Ybor, not sure if they still do it though. You'll also be able to find a Bike Night at any given bar on any given day of the week. Look around, I assure you, it wont be hard to find. The only thing that really took a dive lately was venues for local music. Even national now that Jannus Landing is shutting down. Anyways, I'll end this here for now.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Judgeing by the responses so far it sounds like it might be the spot for us. Keep all the good ideas and comparisons coming. Thanks

Seems like it might be a great time to buy a house in the area too. Plenty on the market to choose from.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Before buying a house, DEFINITELY do your research. Tampa's good and bad areas aren't as well defined as other cities are.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm hoping to find a realtor when we get to that point who is knowledgable enough to narrow down the areas we select and even point out some we haven't considered. Have two dogs and really not wanting to do the rental house thing first. Will probably take a weeks vacation before to long and head down there to kinda scout things out.

Would prefer a newer area within a 30 min drive or so from downtown tampa, but close enough to enjoy the beaches. Water access for a boat would be great, but probably not within our budget (about 225k-240k tops). I would like to think we could find something that will work for us as there are thousands of homes on the market right now. Looks like the property taxes vary wildly depending on location. Haven't a clue about homeowners insurance there.

Thanks again

Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZ1K View Post
I'm hoping to find a realtor when we get to that point who is knowledgable enough to narrow down the areas we select and even point out some we haven't considered. Have two dogs and really not wanting to do the rental house thing first. Will probably take a weeks vacation before to long and head down there to kinda scout things out.

Would prefer a newer area within a 30 min drive or so from downtown tampa, but close enough to enjoy the beaches. Water access for a boat would be great, but probably not within our budget (about 225k-240k tops). I would like to think we could find something that will work for us as there are thousands of homes on the market right now. Looks like the property taxes vary wildly depending on location. Haven't a clue about homeowners insurance there.

Thanks again
225k to 240k, water access for a boat and within 30 min from downtown Tampa and close to beaches?? Check out Riviera Bay neighborhood in North St. Pete(just south of Gandy Blvd, East of 4th Street, North of 83rd Avenue). Lots of good deals going on in that neighborhood, all with water access/canals backyards.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
This is a nice area and a good suggestion. Just be sure to check specific neighborhoods as NE St. Pete is subject to flood.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
You're tired of heat and humidity and no interesting terrain and your condisdering Tampa?

It is flat as a pancake( so much for interesting terrain) and has heat and humidity that rivals where you're from a good part of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay