Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,994,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Is there little traffic in the St. Pete, Ybor City area around 7-8 pm? I'm old but I like to go out and hear live music sometimes.
If you want to hear live music, St. Pete is your area. Not so much Ybor as most of the clubs there get shut down . Then again, the economy struck live music (in EVERY city in the US) so, it's not as easy to find as it once was. St. Pete seems to be the music place though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,182,154 times
Quote:
I'm not getting why the residents in, say, Tampa, don't travel to St. Pete or those from Brandon don't travel to Crystal River. I am just using these as examples, but I am constantly shocked when I read on this board that people don't seem to go anywhere except for their own immediate area.
I know traffic is horrid there in the rush house and probably the daytime, but what about the evening after, say, 7 pm? Is it that crowded on the highways and roads?
Can someone enlighten me?
Because it's a heckuva long drive, and there needs to be a reason to go that far. If I want to take the kids to see manatees, yeah, I'll drive across the Bay to TECO or up to Crystal River. I'll drive to see friends. But as far as malls, restaurants, shops...why waste the time and the gasoline? It's not like there aren't any close by.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post

The notion that people there don't travel around is unfounded. We frequently go exploring within a 100 mile radius or so.
After you've lived here awhile there's not much left to explore. I mean, I could drive to Mulberry or Dade City or Ellenton, but...why? You've seen the outlet mall or phosphate museum once, that's generally sufficient. Unless you're a big fan of phosphate or something.

Quote:
There are numerous posts in the archive here about not traveling from Tampa to St. Pete by local residents. Has nobody read them?
I like to explore wherever I am, so this is important to me. It just didn't make sense that people wouldn't go to other cities in the region, but could be the personality of the region. I'm not there, so I won't know till I get there and see for myself.
So explore. It shouldn't matter what other people do.
Most people have limited time because of jobs, school, family, the usual obligations. Well, in a normal economy they have jobs, anyway. They may have more time now, but if they do, they probably can't afford the gas.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,548,476 times
Yeah, I'll explore but I have a friend who's been there for 10 years, and he complains about the traffic all the time. Guess it's really bad from what he says. Then I read on this board all the folks that seem to never leave the town they settled in. Made me wonder.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 AM

There's a lot of Florida that still doesn't have a lot of "there" there. Obviously, St Augustine, larger cities, Merritt Island warrant multiple visits. Even Tallahassee (though I speak here from the POV of a homeschooler).
But once you've seen Frostproof or Waldo, you've pretty much seen it. It would take a lot, at this point in my life, to get me to see (for example) Polk County as a destination spot.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,890,306 times
We have lived here in Tampa about 16 months and travel to Tarpon Springs, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Dunedin, Anna Maria Island, Orlando, Sarasota OFTEN. Yet, we talk to people who have lived here all their lives and do not like to make the drive across the Courtney Campbell Causeway, and have rarely driven to any of those towns. We drive to Sarasota just for dinner, its not that far, I really don't get it, people can't seem to get out of their little box.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Sarasota is about a two hour drive from where I am. It would have to be a bloody amazing dinner.
Perhaps it's just that other people simply have other priorities: leaving a smaller carbon footprint, or living somewhere that doesn't require a two hour drive to a decent restaurant, or spending time on their work, or family time.
Some people explore. Some don't. Saying "I really don't get why other people are content to stay in little boxes" is kind of like feeling superior over wearing pink socks instead of navy blue.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,275,174 times
Davachka: a few reasons why people might not get out of the bubble:

1. Once you've seen an Outback Steakhouse.....you've seen them all, most people in this area cannot afford an expensive restaurant on regular basis.....The only way We would drive more than 15 minutes to go to a restaurant is if we go on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach or on Las Olas.....nothing around here has sparked a light with us yet as far as that goes........we lived there and we've been spoiled....St Armand's Circle doesn't come close as far as we're concerned....no offense!
2. Some don't go out of pure laziness I agree...
3. Oddly enough not everyone is a beach person! or a kayaking buff or likes to hike flat trails.......
4. Time?
5. Age?
6. Florida is no California where the scenery changes as you drive......yes we have some "hills" but I am sorry I cannot compare those with the Smokeys or the Yellowstone! etc
7. Weight......at 300+lbs it's not that easy to maneuver yourself around!

Now you go search for some demographics as far as the above are concerned and you'll get an even better answer as far as who travels and for how long and where......

Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,365,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
1. Once you've seen an Outback Steakhouse.....you've seen them all, most people in this area cannot afford an expensive restaurant on regular basis.....The only way We would drive more than 15 minutes to go to a restaurant is if we go on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach or on Las Olas.....nothing around here has sparked a light with us yet as far as that goes........we lived there and we've been spoiled....St Armand's Circle doesn't come close as far as we're concerned....no offense!
Please tell me you get out to more than an Outback Steakhouse? (by the way, the Outback on Henderson Ave is the original Outback)

Ever been to Laughing Cat, Acropolis, El Puerto, La Creperia (Ybor City); or Mangrove's, SOHO Oasis Cafe, Wine Exchange, Restaurant BT, 717 South, Ceviche, Bern's, Side Berns, Bungalow, Circles (Hyde Park); or Malio's, Cafe Dufrain, Fly, SPAIN, Algusto's (downtown); or Cellini's, Pane Rustica, Yoko's, Datz, Hula Bay, Bin 27, Paradiso, Byblos, Queen of Sheba, Smoke (South Tampa area).

And thats just a few of my favs in Tampa...across the Bay there are plenty more very good non chains...

Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,275,174 times
Tampaguy....if you treat and babysit our kids We will try out some of those places you're naming....going out to eat is really not only not in our budget (gas included there and back) but also not a sport for us, we have our favorites and if/when we DO get to have money and time to go out we would rather go to a place we both like a lot...maybe if we moved to Tampa before kids we would have been more inclined to try out new places...now it is a bit too late for that...

I gave Outback as an example because whatever they have there must be really popular as they always seem to be packed, we noticed this about all the chains around not just Outback....

Also remember that just because there are a lot of restaurants around that doesn't mean much as we are not the only people who have a personal preference.....some people like to restaurant hop some like to stick to their favorite, it is a matter of personal taste...I am not into Chinese, Mexican or Cuban foods....so these joints are not going to be on my list....to give you an example...others are vegeterians....and others can only eat BBQ....to all of these the large selection of restaurants is irrelevant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay